Assassin's Creed: Unity performance on PC

christianled59

People have been complaining a lot about performance on ACU. For me, it seems to run quite smoothly with 40-50 fps. However, I will agree it is buggy with some stuttering in crowds and glitchy AI. I hope to see a patch soon. Otherwise, the performance issues I've heard so far seem to be more of an exaggeration or even a wrongfully assumed hyperbole due to the recent events, than hard factual truth.

I'm not in support with Ubisoft considering their recent actions, but the recent hate on performance is more biased than truth from my perspective. I'm interested to see what you guys' performance is on the game, if you have it, on PC. (I'm well aware of the terrible performance on console, but this is a PC discussion).

Please avoid shit posting such as unnecessary gifs and hate towards consoles, or the company. I'm not for Ubisoft, I just want unbiased knowledge of the performance.

Settings:

Very high environment detail.

Ultra high texture detail.

60Hz refresh rate.

AA off (I have a 23 inch 1080p monitor and I sit far enough away to not see a difference).

Ambient occlusion is on.

Shadows are on high.

Specs:

CPU

AMD FX 6300 over clocked to 4.5GHz

Motherboard

78LMT-USB3 Gigabyte

RAM

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz

GPU

EVGA GTX 760 SC

Case

Corsair 350d (Windowed)

Storage

1TB WD HDD and 240GB SSD

PSU

EVGA 600w Bronze

Display(s)

ASUS 23' 1080p

Cooling

Corsair H100i Watercooling

Keyboard

Razor Deathstalker

Mouse

Perixx MX-2000 v2

Sound

Siberian Elite V2 (black)

Operating System

Windows 8.1

Update: I decided to turn on mxaa x2 and it still ran fine. However, as I made further progress in the story, my frames dropped considerably. I assume it's the crowds becoming more dense and active. But now I struggle to maintain 30fps with constant dipping. There needs to be an optimization update soon. This is hardly playable anymore.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

What are your specs?

What are your specs?

ok but tell me what are your pc specs??

I edited the specs into the OP. It clearly said previously to look at my profile for my specs.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I edited the specs into the OP. It clearly said previously to look at my profile for my specs.

Well if that your specs and those are the in game performance you are getting than why did ubisoft recommended such a high specs for the game?

Well if that your specs and those are the in game performance you are getting than why did ubisoft recommended such a high specs for the game?

I have no idea. Maybe they were taking into account the laggy crowds. That, I would suppose, justify the cpu but as far as gpu, I'm not sure.

Well I have to wait till Friday when it get's released here in the UK, but hope it will be playable otherwise it will be time for pally power in WoD

Cry Havoc!

I have no idea. Maybe they were taking into account the laggy crowds. That, I would suppose, justify the cpu but as far as gpu, I'm not sure.

But i think that you are a lucky person, as many others with a better rig than yours are having trouble with the game.

I will say that the game still needs a few more patches to even become playable. Even the console editions are not running well.

Its MORE THAN LIKLY just poor optimization.

AMD and Nvidia both have released a driver update within the past 5 days or so, how many people actually have the update is another concern?

Also the REQUIREMENTS aren't that high...  But the recommendations are through the roof.  Usually when a game launches it sucks at optimization because the developer waits for feedback from 100's of 1000's of computer configurations, instead of the usual 10-20 configurations they test in their labs.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Theres a news thread about this. Unity is very poorly optimized.

Cant link it, im on my phone.

who cares...

Theres a news thread about this. Unity is very poorly optimized.

Cant link it, im on my phone.

There was one about console. I didn't see one about PC.

can you also put all of your graphics settings (since you have nvidia, all of it should be listed in geforce experience for easy access)

and edit your OP so that others post that when they put up their experience

and can you also post how fast your graphics card is running while gaming

I'll post up my experience when I get home and get to play for a few hours

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

can you also put all of your graphics settings (since you have nvidia, all of it should be listed in geforce experience for easy access)

and edit your OP so that others post that when they put up their experience

and can you also post how fast your graphics card is running while gaming

I'll post up my experience when I get home and get to play for a few hours

I'm not home right now but I edited my settings in from memory.

Nvidia themselves recommend low settings for a 680 which is just ridiculous. Giving this game a pass. 

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-unity-graphics-and-performance-guide

I use very high and ultra settings with a 760.

The difference is, I'm asking people who have first hand experience with the game on PC. That thread is full of mindless, biased bashing of Ubisoft and the game on console. No real input on how the game ACTUALLY runs other than op saying it runs poorly.

The difference is, I'm asking people who have first hand experience with the game on PC. That thread is full of mindless, biased bashing of Ubisoft and the game on console. No real input on how the game ACTUALLY runs other than op saying it runs poorly.

Yepp, 100% true. Most stuff is just bashing. But i would/would've just waited another day or two until more people have had hands on experience with AC U.

who cares...

Is it even worth getting a PC for like 1200$ since games are so badly optimised?

I use very high and ultra settings with a 760.

BTW, is anybody else annoyed with the whole "high, very high, and ultra" instead of "low, medium, and high"?  my OCD gets a little twitchy when I see medium as the lowest setting...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

BTW, is anybody else annoyed with the whole "high, very high, and ultra" instead of "low, medium, and high"?  my OCD gets a little twitchy when I see medium as the lowest setting...

'But this one goes to ultra.'

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

'But this one goes to ultra.'

ok, so make it low, medium, high, ultra

not medium, high, very high, ultra

(also, you'll notice that volume knob starts at 0, not 3)

I'm finding the performance on PC to be seriously dissapointing. With 2 gtx 780's I would expect to run this game at max settings 1080p however that is not the case. Its not a smooth experience at all in fact it's pretty despicable. Even with just 2xMSAA at 1080p the frame rate fluctuates every which way under the sun making for a very stuttery experience. I found if I play at 30fps cap its pretty nice. I can't stand a simple 30fps myself but remembering how hard they were pushing that before launch I decided to test it. Seems to me this game engine doesn't care for anything above 30fps :(