Assassin's Creed: Unity performance on PC

christianled59

I'm finding the performance on PC to be seriously dissapointing. With 2 gtx 780's I would expect to run this game at max settings 1080p however that is not the case. Its not a smooth experience at all in fact it's pretty despicable. Even with just 2xMSAA at 1080p the frame rate fluctuates every which way under the sun making for a very stuttery experience. I found if I play at 30fps cap its pretty nice. I can't stand a simple 30fps myself but remembering how hard they were pushing that before launch I decided to test it. Seems to me this game engine doesn't care for anything above 30fps :(

I wonder is dual cards doing more damage than good? I have seen more people with two high powered GPUs give out more than people with a single mid range GPU.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I wonder is dual cards doing more damage than good? I have seen more people with two high powered GPUs give out more than people with a single mid range GPU.

I just downloaded and installed the latest Geforce drivers tonight dated 10/11/2014 version 344.65 not sure if that's an improvement for games or just stuff for 900 series cards but its only been a week or so since the last up date version 344.40, it might help.

Does the Geforce Experience helping out in optimizing the game or is it to early for that?

Cry Havoc!

ok, so make it low, medium, high, ultra

not medium, high, very high, ultra

(also, you'll notice that volume knob starts at 0, not 3)

You haven't seen 'This Is Spinal Tap,' have you?

I agree with you, completely arbitrary rankings like that are annoying.

according to pc gamer even a GTX 970 cannot average 60FPS at 1080p maxed out. Ridiculous for such a powerful GPU. Another gem from the gameworks program.

Once it's done processing you can see the shameful game they call Assassin's Creed Unity. Another crap game from Ubisoft. Can they just stop making these games already?

I had the game at preset medium and aa changed to 2x msaa at 1080p and i was recording using shadowplay to twitch.tv and the game managed to get me 13 fps, THIRTEEN FCKING FPS, in one cinematic that had 2 faces and shoulders and another cinematic that had ONLY one kid's face i had 17 fps.

I have i7 4790k and GTX 770 oc'ed to 1250 Mhz and 7500 Mhz, vram ain't a problem since it maxed at 2039 Mb (shadow of mordor went to 2044 and runned smoth as hell) and ram ain't a problem either cause i have 16 Gb of ram.

Not only the game is badly optimized, there are many blurry textures and the animations are as fake as it can get. With the well craft animations we had at ac3, this feels so unreal.....

TLDR: Bought a 1300 EUR pc and i can't even play on medium a game that technically ain't anything really impresive.

Yeah, I was interested in this game but I'm sorry. Not even going to bother with it if it's that bad. If people are having trouble with 780s and overclocked i7s then there's no way I'm even going to bother with it on my i5 4590 with R9 285. There are simply too many other decent games out there that are cheaper, look better and don't have these issues. And no, this isn't me bashing Ubisoft, this is me saying that I'm not going to even consider buying it unless they do some serious damage control.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I'm still wondering wtf is with this games graphics? It's soo hurtful to my eyes and I heard nothing but good things before its released about these "next gen" and "amazing" graphics. It looks worse than the first Assassin's Creed!!!

we know it's a solvable problem because the game runs on the consoles with 1/3rd the GPU power of a 7970 or geforce 680, that's without even talking about the difference in CPU power. So what's the deal? Do they not put it the required manhours to optimize the pc version? Or Is it intentionally gimped to avoid competing with consoles? Why does nvidia repeatedly choose to promote such games which make the pc gaming ecosystem look bad? These are hard questions which i sincerely hope the gaming press will latch onto and write about. We cannot continue to let this stuff slide... There are loads of other games on the market that run smoothly at high framerates, look Good and make proper use of our hardware. We need to send a message, don't buy crap. Remember all your powerful hardware is useless if the software doesn't utilize it properly. I am not a big fan of the assassin's creed series. The Reason this bothers me so much is because i care about the state of the industry.

So I only played for about 5 mins and then the power went out (wind storm here) ... But here's what I saw in those 5 mins

PC specs in sig, gpu running at 1228 during gameplay

Graphics settings on the highest everything will go, except ambient occlusion SSAO. With this I was getting 45 to 50 fps with some noticeable dips to 30ish and what seamed like some dropped frames at fast paced parts.

I turned down AA to one up from off, and went to about 50-60ish fps. But this only lasted about a minute before power went out.

I'll update again once I get a couple hours in if this thread is still going when I get around to it.

I've only played the intro section where you're the templar, but I have to say free running felt a bit weird and movement controls seamed laggy, but fps was good and didn't notice any dropped frames during this... Also, from my 5 mins, seams the depth of field is really low... And I didn't see anything to adjust it... I'm hoping I just didn't find it, or someone makes a mod like they did for watchdogs

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

with an i7 4790k and a 290x i get 45-65 fps, depending where i am, with settings on ultra, max shadows, with only fxaa, with 2x-4x aa my frames drop to 30-45 fps but i have never seen it fall below 30 fps with 4x in huge crowds

personally id rather play it with fxaa and 60fps the 4x and 40fps, That said its still pretty smooth at 30fps, just wish for the day it can run

i just turned all the graphics settings to low and my fps stayed pretty much the same, but when i went from 1080p to 720p and all settings on low and looking at a lake i was able to get the fps to 139.

makes me wonder what hardware is required to run this game at max settings and 144fps

as for the game itself so far im loving every moment of it, especially the co-op gameplay, honestly you guys can hate ubisoft all day long but i can enjoy every bit of this game at max settings and 45 fps with no stutter or weird graphic anomaly's, so for now im ok with ubisoft and cant wait for farcry 4

with an i7 4790k and a 290x i get 45-65 fps, depending where i am, with settings on ultra, max shadows, with only fxaa, with 2x-4x aa my frames drop to 30-45 fps but i have never seen it fall below 30 fps with 4x in huge crowds

That's not bad as long as it doesn't stutter. I remember with Watchdogs you could get decent framerates but there would still be microstutter when driving due to a few frames taking too long to render.

Is your subjective game experience smooth enough without stutter? If so then that's a good sign that frame latency is consistent.

After some extensive testing I managed to find playable settings for 4k. This game engine has a lot of interesting quirks to it. Anything above 30fps seems to get a lot of pop in and other similar bugs. Vsync to 60 fps then a 30fps cap with Riva seems to be helping a lot of the problems I was having

Update: I decided to turn on mxaa x2 and it still ran fine. However, as I made further progress in the story, my frames dropped considerably. I assume it's the crowds becoming more dense and active. But now I struggle to maintain 30fps with constant dipping. There needs to be an optimization update soon. This is hardly playable anymore.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

After some extensive testing I managed to find playable settings for 4k. This game engine has a lot of interesting quirks to it. Anything above 30fps seems to get a lot of pop in and other similar bugs. Vsync to 60 fps then a 30fps cap with Riva seems to be helping a lot of the problems I was having

Ill have to try this when I get home.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I'm still wondering wtf is with this games graphics? It's soo hurtful to my eyes and I heard nothing but good things before its released about these "next gen" and "amazing" graphics. It looks worse than the first Assassin's Creed!!!

you must be on some pretty good drugs to think it looks like the first ac. Either that or your playing at some ridiculously low settings. I put it up on a 106 inch 4k projection system last night and my non gamer friends and family thought it was astounding! As much as I hate ubisoft I have to give credit where credit is due and this is one of those times. It doesn't look good enough to justify the insane system usage but it looks great regardless.

you must be on some pretty good drugs to think it looks like the first ac. Either that or your playing at some ridiculously low settings. I put it up on a 106 inch 4k projection system last night and my non gamer friends and family thought it was astounding! As much as I hate ubisoft I have to give credit where credit is due and this is one of those times. It doesn't look good enough to justify the insane system usage but it looks great regardless.

I absolutely adore the lighting. If only it was less glitchy. It's beautiful nonetheless.

Reporting low performance in a GTX 770, a friend mine got the game and i ask him how was running, he set everything to medium settings (1080p) and only got 30fps with drops to 15. Well, guess the i will pass AC and The Division from now ...

I absolutely adore the lighting. If only it was less glitchy. It's beautiful nonetheless.

yea, the lighting and shadows are phenomenal! I dont think I've seen a game do a better job and it makes me really excited to see what far cry 4 will look like. I think there will be some significant improvements in ac's performance in coming weeks. If they plan to release a tesselation update they don't have a choice.

yea, the lighting and shadows are phenomenal! I dont think I've seen a game do a better job and it makes me really excited to see what far cry 4 will look like. I think there will be some significant improvements in ac's performance in coming weeks. If they plan to release a tesselation update they don't have a choice.

Some scenes in ACU look almost photorealistic. It's the fps that looses the immersion. I want to get farcry 4 but I'm afraid of performance issues. Considering fc3 was a great PC game, maybe fc4 will turn out well too. We'll see in time I guess.

Some scenes in ACU look almost photorealistic. It's the fps that looses the immersion. I want to get farcry 4 but I'm afraid of performance issues. Considering fc3 was a great PC game, maybe fc4 will turn out well too. We'll see in time I guess.

Yeah there are definitely some photo realistic scenes, My step mother (For the record im 21 years old and payed for this rig myself my "mommy and daddy" didnt buy it for me) came downstairs when i had my pc out on our projector last night and she went hey cool what movie are we watching -.- it took me 20 minutes to explain that it was a video game which she then sat down and watched me play for the next 3 hours because she thought it was so "pretty". She doesnt notice the frame dips like we do which i found strange. Im thinking because she doesnt play the games and she has some small issues with her vision she doesnt see the stutters and whatnot like we do so to her it was a butter smooth cinematic experience that she absolutely loved.

Yeah there are definitely some photo realistic scenes, My step mother (For the record im 21 years old and payed for this rig myself my "mommy and daddy" didnt buy it for me) came downstairs when i had my pc out on our projector last night and she went hey cool what movie are we watching -.- it took me 20 minutes to explain that it was a video game which she then sat down and watched me play for the next 3 hours because she thought it was so "pretty". She doesnt notice the frame dips like we do which i found strange. Im thinking because she doesnt play the games and she has some small issues with her vision she doesnt see the stutters and whatnot like we do so to her it was a butter smooth cinematic experience that she absolutely loved.

That's how most console players are. I try to explain to my console gamer friends the difference between 60fps and 30fps and they won't notice the difference no matter what I do or show them. But to me it's like comparing a Lamborghini to a walmart shopping cart.

That's how most console players are. I try to explain to my console gamer friends the difference between 60fps and 30fps and they won't notice the difference no matter what I do or show them. But to me it's like comparing a Lamborghini to a walmart shopping cart.

im going to have to remember that analogy cause that is a freaking awesome one! Where she doesnt play any games at all i wasn't surprised. My dad being a gamer, he LOVES the witcher series, hes played the second one about 10 times and once dsr came out he upgraded from triple 580's to dual 980's once he saw how far behind his system actually was with mine being the comparison. Anyway more on topic, he came in and saw me playing 4k on our projector and even he thought it was amazing. he did notice a few of the stutters but not as many as i picked out, Once we started talking about it my step mother was baffled. She physically could not pick out what we were talking about to save her life. I guess some people are just more prone to it then others. Either that or my eyes are trained to pick that stuff out, i used to have a 144hz monitor so that might be part of it to.

im going to have to remember that analogy cause that is a freaking awesome one! Where she doesnt play any games at all i wasn't surprised. My dad being a gamer, he LOVES the witcher series, hes played the second one about 10 times and once dsr came out he upgraded from triple 580's to dual 980's once he saw how far behind his system actually was with mine being the comparison. Anyway more on topic, he came in and saw me playing 4k on our projector and even he thought it was amazing. he did notice a few of the stutters but not as many as i picked out, Once we started talking about it my step mother was baffled. She physically could not pick out what we were talking about to save her life. I guess some people are just more prone to it then others. Either that or my eyes are trained to pick that stuff out, i used to have a 144hz monitor so that might be part of it to.

I used to be an oblivious console gamer several years ago. I couldn't tell the difference then but when I made the switch, I couldn't ever go back. I remember I used to be AMAZING at fps games with a controller. Especially battlefield. Now I can't even aim properly in an fps game with controller.

I used to be an oblivious console gamer several years ago. I couldn't tell the difference then but when I made the switch, I couldn't ever go back. I remember I used to be AMAZING at fps games with a controller. Especially battlefield. Now I can't even aim properly in an fps game with controller.

I grew up on pc myself but consoles were always around my house as well. I always enjoyed playing the exclusive titles or the titles my old computers couldnt handle. ive always been able to see the difference but i dont hate on the consoles like some gamers do, I have most of the consoles hooked up not 3 feet away from me right now. They will always have a place in gaming... I love me some ratchet and clank which obviously isnt on pc :P