US No longer a Democracy

Jerakl

Never thought of the United States as a Democracy. From seeing how voting works with the electoral college. 

Because it never was. In fact the Founding Father's were highly critical of democracy. The US is (or at least was) a Federal Republic.

Because it never was. In fact the Founding Father's were highly critical of democracy. The US is (or at least was) a Federal Republic.

Well given that the entire American Revolution was only supported by 1/3 of the colonies and was backed by the rich in the colonies that would benefit from breaking from England's rule.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The US is (or at least was) a Federal Republic.

Yep already knew that. :) Thread title is misleading..

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

The US was never a democracy. 

It's a Constitutional Republic.

A constitutional republic can be democratic if you have the right to vote (and the vote is taking an actual effect)

America has never been a democracy, we have been a "representative republic". And since when is this news? I've known this since I was about 14.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yep already knew that. :) Thread title is misleading..

I had no idea it was a republic or w/e.

I can change it I guess.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I generally dislike The Young Turks and others like them for their general smugness yet this was spot on.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I generally dislike The Young Turks and others like them for their general smugness yet this was spot on.

I don't agree with everything they say, but they are generally right on most issues. They don't have the same bias as most media because they don't have to worry about access to political figures.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

sure "democracy"

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What's the big deal? There's no such thing as a democracy.

Democracy doesn't really exist, it's a nice idea but it's not really possible with more than like 5 people.

I mean, I dont believe there is any country that is a real democracy. Money Talks, all politics are run by corrupt officials.

Switzerland is a pretty much a true democracy. They're not in the EU and didn't join the UN until 2002 (I believe it was 2002 at least). They only thing within Switzerland that is not a pure democracy is (to my understanding, I'm not Swiss) is changing of things in their constitution, which is still voted on by the people, but then voted on again by parliament. But everything else, including governments within their towns and cantons and many other things on a federal level is a true democracy. It also should be noted that Switzerland hasn't been to war in 500 years, they have the most stable economy on Earth, and scored number 3 in the world happiness report in 2013 only behind Denmark and Norway. Democracy sure seems to be working well for them... I agree the US isn't much of a democracy as much as it is a republic with many democratic elements incorporated, especially in local government. Just some food for thought.

edited for clarity. Also, I didn't actually do any research on this, this is all just preconceived knowledge. Please correct me if anything in this is wrong.

We are a unified confederacy of states, each with thier own laws, and each having to follow a set of laws the majority of the states agree on.

The United States was never a democracy to begin with. We are a constitutional republic. 

(From Wikipedia)

Republic - a form of government in which power resides in the people, and the government is ruled by elected leaders run according to law, rather than inherited or appointed (such as through inheritance or divine mandate).

Democracy - a form of government in which all eligible citizens are meant to participate equally – either directly or, through elected representatives, indirectly – in the proposal, development and establishment of the laws by which their society is run.

They're similar, and I can see where the confusion comes from. 

Anyways, this article is rubbish. The United States is by no means an oligarchy. Corporations do not run our country. They can, however, influence politicians into making certain decisions, but they do not run the country. If you want this fixed, vote in better politicians. Do your research. 

I just want to point out that if this was done through Princeton, then why on earth isn't the study on Princeton's website? Also, please notice that the uploader of the study is tpmdocs, which is clearly owned by TPM Media, who just so happens to own the website that the article was hosted on. I dunno, sounds fishy to me. 

No hate on the OP or anything, but next time, pretty please use a more reliable source. 

EDIT: Plus the article is sensational click bait. it's nothing more than that. 

COMIC SANS

You can call it what you want, but its been the same for the past century.

Money > all

The people never really had a voice.

I don't get it

For me Democracy is the generic term and Republic is a closer specification how its done.

Look at the definitions the Republic is fulfilling all points of the democracy's definition.

Republics can be democratic guys, they are not mutually exclusive.

Back to the topic.

There is very little proof that democracy can work. Even who are credited as the founders of democracy said you know what this is dumb and changed. Because not only it is hard to make democracy work it is harder to maintain it. Especially if your country is large and there are way too many groups of people in it with different ideas.

Democracy is about many different people agreeing with each other. If you have lived in this earth for a couple of years you know that there is no way that shit will happen.

Besides no one believes US has democracy. We are all saying it ironically when we talk about US democracy.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

America is a democracy in everyday vernacular.

In more technical terms it is a representative democracy.

It never was...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

It's a Constitutionally Limited Representative Democratic Republic

regardless of what it is, the country is still being ran by bozos to say the least...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

What's the big deal? There's no such thing as a democracy.

We don't push Democracy, we push constitutional monarchy or a republic. 

Thats the definition of politics, not just US politics. 

Most Americans don't know either :P

Democracy doesn't really exist, it's a nice idea but it's not really possible with more than like 5 people.

Direct Democracies are stupid in the first place. 

I mean, I dont believe there is any country that is a real democracy. Money Talks, all politics are run by corrupt officials.

The United States was never a democracy to begin with. We are a constitutional republic. 

(From Wikipedia)

Republic - a form of government in which power resides in the people, and the government is ruled by elected leaders run according to law, rather than inherited or appointed (such as through inheritance or divine mandate).

Democracy - a form of government in which all eligible citizens are meant to participate equally – either directly or, through elected representatives, indirectly – in the proposal, development and establishment of the laws by which their society is run.

Anyways, this article is rubbish. The United States is by no means an oligarchy. Corporations do not run our country. They can, however, influence politicians into making certain decisions, but they do not run the country. If you want this fixed, vote in better politicians. Do your research. 

I just want to point out that if this was done through Princeton, then why on earth isn't the study on Princeton's website? Also, please notice that the uploader of the study is tpmdocs, which is clearly owned by TPM Media, who just so happens to own the website that the article was hosted on. I dunno, sounds fishy to me. 

No hate on the OP or anything, but next time, pretty please use a more reliable source. 

EDIT: Plus the article is sensational click bait. it's nothing more than that. 

OK guys, enough is enough, the bullshit you just wrote is beyond reasoning, but it's ok, your resident lawyer ( student ) is here to set you straight xD !

1. Every country on the world can be categorized multiple ways.

2. As a type of governance every country can be: a Monarchy or a Republic, and that is by looking at the head of the state, so to conclude the US is as Republic since the country leader is not a king, emperor, sultan, etc...

3. The other way you can look at it is: Unitary country and a Composed country, US is a composed country since it is a federal union of 50 states.

4. And finally we come to the Political regime, and here we have : Democracies and Autocracies ( Oligarchy is a sub-category ) . US is a Democracy, and here is why: The head of your country is chosen by the people by votes, using indirect democracy.

This is the simple version of a huge topic, that is not really made to be discussed on a tech forum, Every country today can be a part of multiple categories, but every country has a primary group it fits in.

The reason the US is not a real oligarchy is because every adult citizen is allowed to vote, and you can vote for every adult that runs for a position of president.

This is fact, and it has nothing to do with political views, it is that simple, what you are mixing is a countries classification with the politics that people in charge are using.

The US is a Democracy bit it has other attributes, and the rule of a few powerful is also one of them.

Edit: ignore the last section i mistranslated this, was thinking about direct and indirect elections, modern "Western" countries do not use Direct Democracy, it is impossible because there are too may citizens in modern countries, and running a country would be very slow, beside other problems. 

>>Oh and before you start calling a system stupid @connorpiper,

do a bit of research, because not a lot of countries have Indirect Democracies and they work just fine without it<<

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)