Nvidia Maxwell GM200 GPU (GTX 980 Ti) Could Be Delayed to 2016 Due to TSMC 16nm issues

It seems once again TSMC is having issues. First it was 28nm, then 20nm now it's 16nm.

tsmc-16nm-wafer-645x539.jpg

TSMC has announced that it will move mass production of 16nm FinFET from Q1 2015 to late Q2 or early Q3 2015. The implication is that all 16nm graphics cards will be delayed by at least a quarter as a result. Which means that Nvidia's GM200 is even less likely to show its face before 2016.

Original article

It's not a going to be called a 980ti... Stop calling it that already it's sooo dang annoying.

Edit: We're not getting 16nm graphics card next probably. We'll get 20nm, then we'll stick with that for awhile till mid 2016 and then we'll make the switch.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's not a going to be called a 980ti... Stop calling it that already it's sooo dang annoying.

Well you have to give it some name, otherwise people will have no idea what you're talking about.

Should we refer to it as "that GPU that shan't be named" ?

Well you have to give it some name, otherwise people will have no idea what you're talking about.

GTX 990 Anyone....?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

How about it's actual name Gm200/210... Maybe you should try to use that.  

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

If indeed Nvidia miss out on a holiday season release it will a good opportunity to see just how important new releases and such timing is for their product sales.  I don't personally think a 4 month delay would be that much of an issue should it eventuate.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

But calling it TITAN II is just an excuse to sell it for more.

GTX 990 Anyone....?

*90 is reserved for dual gpu cards afaik.

Ti refers to unlocked. But the GTX 980 is already unlocked, what is there to unlock?...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

We might see it at CES or Computex next year. I really want some 8GB 980's. That makes my mouth water.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

How about Big Maxwell? Or BIG MAX? Or maybe Big Daddy? :D

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Ti refers to unlocked. But the GTX 980 is already unlocked, what is there to unlock?...

Ti refers to Titanium 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

GTX 990 Anyone....?

Yes, because the top tier card would automatically be a dual gpu card.

Edit: We're not getting 16nm graphics card next probably. We'll get 20nm, then we'll stick with that for awhile till mid 2016 and then we'll make the switch.

Are you the official spokesmen for Nvidia ? because that sounds like a PR statement that'll never happen.

If indeed Nvidia miss out on a holiday season release it will a good opportunity to see just how important new releases and such timing is for their product sales.  I don't personally think a 4 month delay would be that much of an issue should it eventuate.

Semiconductor company's make the most revenue ( as much as one third of their yearly revnue) in Q4 due to the seasonaility of the sector. So a delay from Say Q1 to Q2 won't nearly be as bad as a delay from Q4 to Q1. So if Nvidia misses 2015 it'll definitely not be good.

Well they can always look to Samsung. 

TSMC always had problems with their manufacturing capabilities.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

I thought people stopped calling it "980 Ti", guess I was wrong...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

I'm sure I've read somewhere that NVIDIA atleast are skipping 20nm and going straight to 16nm.

Also another delay, well it doesn't bother me because what they are doing is incredibly difficult so I go by -----> 'It will be released when ready'.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

GTX 990 Anyone....?

Considering how amazing maxwell is with heat and efficiency they could really have a beastly dual gpu without needing a liquid cooler strapped to it just to run stock clocks lol

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Semiconductor company's make the most revenue ( as much as one third of their yearly revnue) in Q4 due to the seasonaility of the sector. So a delay from Say Q1 to Q2 won't nearly be as bad as a delay from Q4 to Q1. So if Nvidia misses 2015 it'll definitely not be good.

Except that they release new series at different times of the year and it hasn't overly effected their revenue or market share.

400/500 series was sept.

600 series was april

700 series was march

900 series was sept.

With how things have been panning out lately, I would be curious to see if the performance of the 380/390 doesn't have more of an impact than the release date.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, because the top tier card would automatically be a dual gpu card.

if nvidia doesn't release the 980 ti wouldn't they do a 990?

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Except that they release new series at different times of the year and it hasn't overly effected their revenue or market share.

400/500 series was sept.

600 series was april

700 series was march

900 series was sept.

With how things have been panning out lately, I would be curious to see if the performance of the 380/390 doesn't have more of an impact than the release date.

The 900 series is exactlay why Nvidia had a great third quarter and going on for a great 4th quarter while AMD isn't.

It's very simple econonmics. If you win the last two quarters you make more money than if you had one the first two quarters.

The second half of the year is always more profitable than the first half due to the seasonality. "back to school" shipping spree in Setpember and holiday shopping in November.

The GTX 780 didn't show up until June and 780 Ti in November... again holiday season launch.

Nvidia didn't have any choice with the 600 series, the 28nm was late and AMD beat Nvidia to the market by three months. They had to release early. Pretty much what I suspect will happen next year. Nvidia will miss out on Q4 due to 16nm issues. WIll likely release 16nm GM204 GPUs in small quantities but that's it.

Again Nvidia always prepares a holiday season game bundle, they did this year, the year before and the year before. That's because it's the most active season.

if nvidia doesn't release the 980 ti wouldn't they do a 990?

....no...that's not how it works...