WireLurker - Apple Mac Malware

Ebenesh

Apple seems to be in trouble again as there seems to be a new malware threatening the likes of it. Researchers have found a program named WireLurker silently working on a Mac and affects any iPhone that is pluged on via USB. It seems to already have affected hundreds of thousands of users in Asia.

connect-with-pc-mac-iphone.jpg

Once on a Mac, WireLurker can infect any iPhone that’s connected via USB to the computer, and install malicious applications.

“WireLurker exhibits complex code structure, multiple component versions, file hiding, code obfuscation and customized encryption to thwart anti-reversing,” the researchers wrote.

“WireLurker is capable of stealing a variety of information from the mobile devices it infects and regularly requests updates from the attackers command and control server. This malware is under active development and its creator’s ultimate goal is not yet clear,” he said.

“They are still preparing for an eventual attack,” Palo Alto Networks director of threat intelligent Ryan Olson told the Times. “Even though this is the first time this is happening, it demonstrates to a lot of attackers that this is a method that can be used to crack through the hard shell that Apple has built around its iOS devices.”

Apple seems to be having a pretty tough time defending itself with a lot of issues these days... Anyway.. Thoughts ?

Source: http://bgr.com/2014/11/06/iphone-and-mac-malware-wirelurker/

It's software, of course it can get exploited. This seems pretty minor, and will probably be patched in a fortnight or has already been done. What do you mean by a "lot of issues". They can't help people using easily guessable passwords/email addresses. You can't fix people's stupidity.

FYI: MAC =/= Apple Mac.

Good thing they caught it before something took place. Now to clean it up before they can make a move with it.

Interesting that it's mostly affecting Asia though, but considering it's point is an unofficial App Store it seems logical. Hopefully this means the official app store gets beefed up with what people want so they don't have to go to the dodgy ones.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Please think of the Dark Theme Users :(

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I will think if this when someone tells me that Mac's don't get malware and laugh.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's about time that their huge sales resulted in this...

Windows has a lot of malware made for it because of the large install base... With mac catching up, this was bound to happen sooner or later...

Well, I guess it's just normal, not sure why it's such a big deal to be honest. I just hope they don't try to cover it up through some stupid pr, there's no need to and they'd just be encouraging illiterate fanboyism.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Set font color to Auto.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well, I guess it's just normal, not sure why it's such a big deal to be honest. I just hope they don't try to cover it up through some stupid pr, there's no need to and they'd just be encouraging illiterate fanboyism.

It's such a huge deal because even now - to this day - many Mac users falsely believe that Mac OS X is immune to viruses. "Mac's can't catch viruses" is still something I hear. It was even worse when I still worked at Staples, and any Mac users that came in would tell this to me (We sold both Mac and PC). I even know that other employees would falsely tell customers this to help make a Mac sale.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"But Macs don't get viruses"

Macs do have pretty good antivirus built in.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Mac just works out of the box, plug and play. Oh wait....

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

It's such a huge deal because even now - to this day - many Mac users falsely believe that Mac OS X is immune to viruses. "Mac's can't catch viruses" is still something I hear. It was even worse when I still worked at Staples, and any Mac users that came in would tell this to me (We sold both Mac and PC). I even know that other employees would falsely tell customers this to help make a Mac sale.

I know, but those people aren't even going to know this exists unfortuntely... as it's not the first malware reported, if anyone was going to change their mind they already would have. Whereas for people who know what they're talking about, this isn't big news.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's quite amusing seeing all the tech sites report this, yet conveniently leaving out that this only affects people who download apps from a third party app store in China.  :rolleyes:

Well I'm glad this is making mainstream news (at least in Australia): http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/iphone-and-ipad-get-first-serious-virus/story-fn6vihic-1227114728358

Hopefully this will shut up the "Apple products can't get virus" group. Still less susceptible to viruses, yes, but not immune. I finally got rid of the super-annoying Sophos antivirus (that my school put on my MacBook...) and am replacing it with Avast so I'll be interested to see if it picks anything up.

I have both installed. Seems I have a problem with Tampermonkey :/

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

It's quite amusing seeing all the tech sites report this, yet conveniently leaving out that this only affects people who download apps from a third party app store in China.  :rolleyes:

that's where they think it originated and probably where most of the infections came from, but it looks like you can get it the old fashioned way.  So even if you avoid third party apps, if someone in your office has the virus then the only way to avoid it is to avoid nearly all file sharing. Basically I don't think they are leaving out info on purpose, If they were to claim you could only get it from third party apps they would be reporting falsely.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Shucks my father is gonna be pretty annoyed, apple seems to be getting targeted more and more these days.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Well considering it's already patched by now I'm not even sure what there is to worry about. In fact the definition has been in XProtect since at least 10:00AM this morning:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/11/06/apples-statement-on-the-wirelurker-malware/

Shucks my father is gonna be pretty annoyed, apple seems to be getting targeted more and more these days.

If by more and more you mean a number you can still count on your hands then yes. The same cannot be said for *ahem* certain OTHER popular (proprietary?) operating systems.

But no, I'm not back. Please do not quote me. I set my password to a keyboard-mashed string and dissociated my email so when I log out I'm gone forever.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well considering it's already patched by now I'm not even sure what there is to worry about. In fact the definition has been in XProtect since at least 10:00AM this morning:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/11/06/apples-statement-on-the-wirelurker-malware/

If by more and more you mean a number you can still count on your hands then yes. The same cannot be said for *ahem* certain OTHER popular (proprietary?) operating systems.

But no, I'm not back. Please do not quote me. I set my password to a keyboard-mashed string and dissociated my email so when I log out I'm gone forever.

Oh I dare to quote you!

Anyway, the reason why Apple has less viruses is because its a far less marketshare. Simple as that. Target the biggest pool of potential victims.

Everyone knows that Windows has a ton of viruses and malware. That's not news. However the "idea" that Mac OS X "doesn't get viruses" is still extremely pervasive, and that's simply factually incorrect. That was pretty much my only point.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@Ebenesh great post, but I don't know how many times I have to say this, leave your font colour on auto so that those of us using the night theme don't have to highlight the text to read it.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30