I am now A+ Certified and Security+ Certified

Guest Philosophy

The tests were given at the local community college and were not very hard...I suppose knowing and studying comp eng and comp sci helps quite a bit. Do you think these will help me get a job as a computer engineer?

think you're a bit far from computer engineering:

adamboard-atm_thumb.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Congratz, it is a fairly easy test. I did it a couple of years ago. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

A job as a computer engineer? Youre going to need a lot more than that. It couldnt hurt though

Note, I said I was studying comp sci and comp eng. Those being my minor and major is University. I am going for a masters. @Enderman

The tests were given at the local community college and were not very hard...I suppose knowing and studying comp eng and comp sci helps quite a bit. Do you think these will help me get a job as a computer engineer?

I've always thought of getting these for fun when i have a bit of time. Doesnt hurt to have them on the resume.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

think you're a bit far from computer engineering:

Is it me or is that image way too small?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I cannot make it out at all. It is a bit small for my eyes. 

Yeah, just a quick example of stuff that you dont want to see.

Here is more:

Ntd_8bit.jpg

and this is probably one of the most simple pc circuits, extremely old and bare-bones. Modern stuff like a motherboard is thousands of times more complicated.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I've always thought of getting these for fun when i have a bit of time. Doesnt hurt to have them on the resume.

Where all these people from Oregon coming from? I live in Portland also. Great town. But jeez they are breeding like rabits on the forum. 

Yeah, just a quick example of stuff that you dont want to see.

But why... I want to see it...

But why... I want to see it...

Because you need at least 10 years in university engineering to understand how to make a simple PC motherboard.

Spoiler

I am also in Portland... must be that time of the day.

For what it's worth those circuit diagrams above are pretty highlevel...

I have little interest in CpE but, it is covered quite a bit in my CS courses.

Congrats on the certs, I got my A+ long ago but it is now expired...

If you want a job take an internship somewhere in the Portland area. Lots of places are looking for nerds.

Worse case scenario make the drive out to Hillsboro for Intel

Because you need at least 10 years in university engineering to understand how to make a simple PC motherboard.

I am in the smack dab middle of it man. I am a sophomore in college. 

If you want a job take an internship somewhere in the Portland area. Lots of places are looking for nerds.

I could, I would love to work at Intel. I live in West Linn. I assume if from Portland area you know where that is. So it quite the drive oh so worth it it would be though. 

I am in the smack dab middle of it man. I am a sophomore in college. 

Well then keep going and eventually you will be a computer engineer at a company like asus or something making their awesome motherboards and other electronics :)

Spoiler

You might run into me at school assuming your at PSU. I am in the engineering building on 4th quite frequently.

As per West Linn, I don't know many companies down there but Tualatin has a decent amount.

I personally live in Beaverton and commute to Gresham for work. About a 20 minute drive on a good day.

If you haven't already talk to your councilor and see what internship programs are available.

At the very least apply for MECOP: https://www.mecopinc.org/

Well then keep going and eventually you will be a computer engineer at a company like asus or something making their awesome motherboards and other electronics :)

Interestingly, as a computer engineer you rarely see the full scope of a project(IE the whole motherboard)

Normally they split you up and you will be working on something very specific like the PCH or even something within it.

Where all these people from Oregon coming from? I live in Portland also. Great town. But jeez they are breeding like rabits on the forum. 

::waves:: Hi Fellow Oregonians. We seem to be popping up on here like crazy. Wish there was a way to get us all organized...I'd advertise a local gaming group but... CoC and stuff :)

+1 on internships or low level pc repair shop jobs. Lots of experience is never bad. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Interestingly, as a computer engineer you rarely see the full scope of a project(IE the whole motherboard)

Normally they split you up and you will be working on something very specific like the PCH or even something within it.

Yeah but you need to understand how the whole thing works to be able to make one part of it. :)

Spoiler

Really? Can you fix my laptop now.

Not CpE more of an ITs job

Yeah but you need to understand how the whole thing works to be able to make one part of it. :)

Fundamentally yes, actually understand it? No.

for the most part you need to know what you get as inputs and what the desired outputs are. (Specifications)

I will admit though, I would much rather be a low level Computer Engineer than a low level Programmer... Yuck.

Congrats! I've been meaning to get those certs, but I keep failing the practice tests for A+. It's a bit infuriating being into somewhat modern tech and then seeing a test with irrelevant questions to do with floppy drives and pin counts..no one cares about pin counts, real people ask the socket type and chipset. 

Not CpE more of an ITs job

Fundamentally yes, actually understand it? No.

for the most part you need to know what you get as inputs and what the desired outputs are. (Specifications)

I will admit though, I would much rather be a low level Computer Engineer than a low level Programmer... Yuck.

engineering>programming :D

Spoiler

Good, I would like to get some certs as well maybe start as middle it and work my way up.