Sony's reports $1.25 billion U.S in losses over last quater

GoodBytes

Sony sadly is still in great difficulty.

While the PlayStation 4 is selling like hot cakes, and so it's games, it is however not enough to save the company.

So far, Sony has cut employment, sold ts TV panel manufacture division, sold buildings including it's headquarter, and sold it's PC division, as big axing action in the recent years, Sony reports that in the last quarter, reports $1.25 billion dollar loss, reports Neowin.

1f18f9f300f0e114540f6a7067006a4f_story.j

The reason for the big loss is due to its mobile decision. Where the company lost $1.07 billion

Sony Corporation reported a $1.25 billion loss between the months of July and September.

The reasons for the losses can be pointed mostly at the mobile division, which accounted for $1.07 billion in losses during Sony's fiscal Q2 this year. Some of the remaining losses can be attributed to Sony's movie division, where an operating loss of $10 million was reported.

The better news, is that company sales are up by 7% resulting in: $17.4 billion in Sony pockets.

Sony's quarterly sales did increase by 7% to a total of $17.4 billion. The increase is credited to the music division posting slight profits and the Playstation 4 maintaining a healthy stream of sales over the summer months.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/sonys-reports-125-billion-in-losses-over-last-quarter

Damn. What a loss.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I believe Nintendo lost around ~500 Million Dollars last year.

132579925559.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

this is bad :P but i guess companies need to just see what parts of the industry that theyre needed in and what they should just stay out of.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

How the heck are they losing so much money?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

If you actually read the article it clearly says

Sony and many other japanese manufacturers are getting rekt by koreans

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Sony and many other japanese manufacturers are getting rekt by koreans

Or Chinese.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

everything they make is hot trash imo

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

Man thats hard to read

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

For a Visualization:

0a81a0e6bb382e434946e3960d21e7e0.png

This is over the course of a year. A very rocky year for their US based stocks.

wtf happened between January and march?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

wtf happened between January and march?

I don't pay close attention to Sony's stock so my best guess would be the earnings report for that quarter probably fucked them a bit.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

It's not shaping up to be a good year for Android OEMs...

Here's a better picture at where they made money and lost money:

331ezhl.jpg

The left bar is 2013 quarter 2 and right is this years Q2 results.  We want to look at the operating income.

edit: Gaming (G&NS) did a lot better than I expected while the mobile segment (MC) is what dragged the company down.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Sad to hear this, I kinda grew up with Sony... Playstation 1 and 2 on a big fat Sony screen. Those were the times.

Let's hope they manage to turn it over with all those divisions they're getting rid of an so on, sucks for the employees though.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Maybe if it were actually possible to acquire a sony phone in the United States they wouldn't lose so much money...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

For a Visualization:

Posted Image

This is over the course of a year. A very rocky year for their US based stocks.

That's a pretty irrelevant graph

[Warning speculative opinion inbound]

Once you look a bit past the shock of bad news you'll see that their trend is still moving in the positive direction, which is probably why the stock still rose after the report.  The 30% rise of the yen over then last 2 years is way too difficult for just about anyone (other then intel) to deal with, 7/8% of which was in the last quarter or so.  It takes time to close locations and move them to Africa/China.

USD vs Yen

This alone could account for most job losses in developed locations(Japan)

That's a pretty irrelevant graph

Do elaborate. 

Seems pretty relevant to me.... You can learn alot just by looking at a companies technicals. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Do elaborate.

Stocks are just investors' confidence. It doesn't say anything about Revenue and doesn't really affect Sony unless they play with their own stocks.

its because they can no longer sell goods on brand name alone anymore. sony business strategy has sort of been pretty bad with alot of there products in the last 10 years