Samsung 840 pro 512 gb or two 256 gb in raid 0

Erfurt

Hey guys

So I was thinking about upgrading my 256 gb samsung 840 pro, to 512 gb. But I don't know if I should buy a 512 gb one or get another 256 gb and run them in raid 0. So what do you guys think is the best?

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

Crucial MX100 512GB ... I see no benefits of using raid 0 with SSDs (yea it is slighly faster.. whatever, everything you are going to do is probably fast enough and you will benefit more from bigger capacity than higher speed).

Raid zero is the last thing you want to do unless you want create backups every day or so 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Well the fact that you have one already I would get a second SSD and raid them, or get a 512Gb SSD and put the 256Gb in another system

\

I had raid.zero with two crucial m4s 256gb and after less than a month I lost everything and had to RMA both drives as they died at the same time. I don't raid anything anything anymore after that. I didn't lose anything as it was just my os/program drive but it was the point. I'd go 512 as well.

Crucial MX100 512GB ... I see no benefits of using raid 0 with SSDs (yea it is slighly faster.. whatever, everything you are going to do is probably fast enough and you will benefit more from bigger capacity than higher speed).

Raid zero is the last thing you want to do unless you want create backups every day or so 

Well the fact that you have one already I would get a second SSD and raid them, or get a 512Gb SSD and put the 256Gb in another system

I had raid.zero with two crucial m4s 256gb and after less than a month I lost everything and had to RMA both drives as they died at the same time. I don't raid anything anything anymore after that. I didn't lose anything as it was just my os/program drive but it was the point. I'd go 512 as well.

The thing is guys, I already have daily backups. And I only have this one system. Should I still get a 512 gb, or save the money and buy another 256 gb for raid 0?

My setup: i5 3570K  - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77 GD65 - 256 GB Samsung 840 pro SSD - Corsair AX760i - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 2GB - 4x4 GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RAM - Corsair Carbide 500R (modded side window)

The thing is guys, I already have daily backups. And I only have this one system. Should I still get a 512 gb, or save the money and buy another 256 gb for raid 0?

512gbs 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Just save a little bit more and sell the 256gig and get the cheapest decent 1TB drive. Something from adata or sandisk should do the job. Or m550, if you can get it cheap.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Just save a little bit more and sell the 256gig and get the cheapest decent 1TB drive. Something from adata or sandisk should do the job. Or m550, if you can get it cheap.

Don't have the money to buy a 1tb SSD, not even if I can sell the 256 gb one

It sounds like you want to be talked into buying a 256gb and do raid zero. So, buy a 256gb drive and do raid zero.

If you are already doing daily backups, run the RAID 0. You should see significantly higher performance, as most SSD RAID 0's I have seen seem to scare pretty well. But those daily backups are key. If one SSD dies, you will have to remove it, order a new one, format both drives, and then restore your backup. It can be a pain in the butt, however if you have the backups already, it's not a huge deal.

Also since you gave us no other information about the computer, research your chipset and raid controller thats on your board and make sure it is capable of sending TRIM commands through to the RAID. Most older chipsets can't do this. Also realize that if a firmware update were to come out for your SSD, you would have to break your raid to update your drives.

There are tradeoffs to both sides, and I don't really know if you need the performance, but since you are doing daily backups, you really don't have a ton to worry about.

It sounds like you want to be talked into buying a 256gb and do raid zero. So, buy a 256gb drive and do raid zero.

Well I'm sorry about that, because that's not what I want, I just wanted to give the backup info, to see if that changed opinions. I mostly wanted to know what you guys would recommend. :)

If you are already doing daily backups, run the RAID 0. You should see significantly higher performance, as most SSD RAID 0's I have seen seem to scare pretty well. But those daily backups are key. If one SSD dies, you will have to remove it, order a new one, format both drives, and then restore your backup. It can be a pain in the butt, however if you have the backups already, it's not a huge deal.

Also since you gave us no other information about the computer, research your chipset and raid controller thats on your board and make sure it is capable of sending TRIM commands through to the RAID. Most older chipsets can't do this. Also realize that if a firmware update were to come out for your SSD, you would have to break your raid to update your drives.

There are tradeoffs to both sides, and I don't really know if you need the performance, but since you are doing daily backups, you really don't have a ton to worry about.

I didn't add the information about my setup, as it is listed in my signature. :)

Don't have the money to buy a 1tb SSD, not even if I can sell the 256 gb one

http://geizhals.at/eu/samsung-ssd-840-evo-1tb-mz-7te1t0bw-a977944.html

considering this is only 60€ more than 512GB 840pro, i bet you can squeeze that extra for a bigger drive :)

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

For speed, I'd go with Raid 0, it theoretically doubles you speed, but it is true, they could die fast.

If you can afford the 512 ssd, go for it, storage always comes handy later. And you can use your old 256gb for something else.

PC1 = i7 4790k  -  Asus Z97 Mark1  -  Corsair Dominator 32GB kit  -  Evga GTX 780Ti SC x2 SLI  -  SSD 512GB x2  -  12TB NAS  -  Carbide Air540  -  24" 120Hz x2 3D ready  -  Corsair K95 + M95
Custom Watercooling loop with low profile radiators / fans

PC2 = i7 4770k  -  Z97 Maximus VII Hero  -  16 GB kit  -  Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  -  Graphite 760T  -  24" VE248 x2  -  Corsair K70RGB + M90