AMD are failing, and why I feel bad for them.

marldorthegreat

i honestly don't think intel has been worried about staying ahead of anyone for a long time :P

but yes i certainly want amd to continue existing, but they can't do so just for the sake of it. They got to bring their stuff to the table, seeing nvidia and intel have monopoly would be terrible. 

I completely agree, I currently prefer Intel and Nvidia because they are the leading edge compared to AMD. I'd go AMD again if they start producing better products. 

The R7/R9 refresh was really bad for AMD...we can hope that they will figure something out

Hawaii has some really good potential. They just need to refine it, and make it amazing.

Hawaii has some really good potential. They just need to refine it, and make it amazing.

Hawai has already been very successful. R9 and r7 did a Good job scaling From the midrange to high end. It's a proven success in the market, not mere 'potential'. And before that the 7xxx series was also successful. entire GCN architecture has been a success story apart from some badly designed reference coolers. It's even earned them dual console wins. It's the CPU side of the business which drags AMD down.

Yes AMD does have definable keyboard shortcuts for eyefinity on/off / display setup switching. I have a six monitor setup and use it quite frequently.

Ok thanks, too bad I just bought a 970 :P

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

To be fair the Simpson ad is more relevant to NA while the AMD ad is relevant to India. If we compaired ads targeted to the same reagion there might me little to no difference

Ok lets compare NA to NA from the same time period (Pentium III/Athlon)

Intel wins again.

Intel Inside. Overweight guy in his 30's outside.

The reason they do not have money for R & D is because they waste it on making stupid attack ads at nvidia.

Crap like this is why they are a freaking immature company:

Even as someone who prefers Intel+Nvidia, that was a pretty funny ad.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

Even as someone who prefers Intel+Nvidia, that was a pretty funny ad.

Only shitty advertisers like console manufacturers and politicians use attack ads. AMD is bringing themselves down to console-level maturity.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ok lets compare NA to NA from the same time period (Pentium III/Athlon)

Intel wins again.

Ok intel still has a better ad but AMD is closer and I still found it good

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Only shitty advertisers like console manufacturers and politicians use attack ads. AMD is bringing themselves down to console-level maturity.

+1

FX 8000 series been on the market for 3 years now and the only thing they brought to compete with is their FX-9000 series that blow out motherboards VRMs.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

FX 8000 series been on the market for 3 years now and the only thing they brought to compete with is their FX-9000 series that blow out motherboards VRMs.

Exactly. Their latest FX cpus only just match the Thuban's from 4+ years ago clock per clock, core per core. That's so pathetic. Also, who puts out a CPU with a 200W+ TDP? That's so stupid...

I don't mind having this level of high TDP if it's gives more CPU power, I'm one of those guys that will do what it takes to get the most power for my needs but Intel 88W crushed AMD 220W performance so yeah loll

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

this is a war waiting to happen cmon guys i thought we were over this months ago...

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

I think there is a big difference between failing and struggling.  AMD are not failing (ok maybe some of there products leave something to be desired) they are however struggling. It is hard to be make good shit when you haven't got money to invest in R+D.  simple.  Given what they have produced with the money they have and the fact they haven't been reduced to liquid assets on a trash and treasure table is testimony to how hard they are working.

The only thing about the company that erks me is the way richard huddy spouts marketing BS with his title "gaming scientist".  It's like FFS you know what we think of products labeled as "gaming grade": over priced under performing rubbish, that's the general perception.  The only thing I would change about AMD is their PR, make it a little more professional, treat gamers like they are serious adults rather than tweenies that might respond to a smart ad with testosterone inducing undertones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Honestly when I first got into PCs (about 4 years ago), the race between Intel/AMD and Nvidia/AMD wasn't that close either. Intel I5 still destroyed AMDs budget cores, and when Nvidia released the 660 Ti, AMDs only choice was to drop its prices or lose their title of budget king. It seems like AMD has been fighting an uphill battle for a long time and their business decisions haven't been helping them in that regard. It seems like they gave up on the mobile side completely, as well as their desktop CPUs. Though they have said that they have more coming through the pipeline, that isn't till 2015, while Nvidia rules the GPU roost for the next 4 straight months (at least).

Just my 2 cents. In terms of CPU's, anything mid to high end Intel does better. This is an internal issue at AMD, even for GPU's. They have long neglected reducing heat and power consumption for better performance per dollar. At the low end of CPUs, AMD's chips are quite a bit better than Intel for performance for dollar. Similarly, AMD's GPUs are better than nVidia's on performance per dollar. nVidia's low end cards are better than AMD's but the power efficiency of AMD cards isn't great and they haven't tried very hard to improve it.

tbh, my experiences with AMD haven't been the greatest, for example a friend of mine owns an HP Pavillion notebook which is a notebook with Dual graphics, an APU with a dedicated GPU , however (and I'm not exaggerating here) you can not place your hand next to it because the heat coming from the vent is simply unbearable. (yes it gets cleaned regularly).

I have never had such a problem with an Nvidia Mobile GPU, and well for the desktop GPU's I am using nvidia since I own a shield tablet, so yeah..

However, kudos to AMD's APU line, a recent computer I built for a friend of mine featured an A10-7850K and with a Evo 212 on top of that that thing runs any game you throw at it.

I do hope AMD is soon to be firing some shots back since I do not want to see a market dominance of nvidia and Intel , I don't need a € 1200 GTX 970..

I don't understand the idea behind thinking that if AMD was no longer around, all GPUs would suddenly cost thousands of dollars.

Firstly if they did, then they wouldn't sell.

There have always been price brackets within which more / fewer sales are possible regardless of the number of competitors due to the amount of money people are willing to spend. Since the early of days of high end GPUs, since Nvidia and ATI were releasing $300+ GPUs, the most sales that both companies were making were in much lower price categories. Lets say if both companies were to suddenly increase their prices on their lowest price product to $500, going to to thousands for their high end, neither ATI nor Nvidia would be able to sell enough GPUs to keep them afloat because everyone wouldn't suddenly rush out and spend $500 on a bare minimum low end graphics card.

Linus is my fetish.

Well, with AMD gone nVidia could basically increase the prices of all of their products, since no one is there to stop them and no one has another manufacturer to choose from..

The reason they do not have money for R & D is because they waste it on making stupid attack ads at nvidia.

Crap like this is why they are a freaking immature company:

I really enjoyed watching it and i guess that what it was supposed to do; I agree, they should step away from it and stop sitting on their piledriver cpus but it was a good laugh i had.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Lol Apple is using R9 m295x and all amd GPU's in their iMacs and Mac Pros, so obviously somebody believes in them.

AMD isn't failing, they're pretty happy in their niche, and they just spent a lot of money on GPU development and pre-sales setup, they're gonna be fine with the next series of GPU's coming out