AMD are failing, and why I feel bad for them.

marldorthegreat

"But for some reason people just reject AMD and just buy an Nvidia GPU" - Cooler, lower power ~better performance? How is this even a question, AMD are failing because they are not competitive not because people dislike them,

Think twice before you speak, because your words and influence will plant the seed of either success or failure in the mind of another. - Napoleon Hill

it really doesn't make sense that AMD doesn't have more market share because their price to performance ratio is WAY better than Nvidia. when i get my gpu, i will most likely get an AMD card because of it. their technology isn't quite as advanced as Nvidia's and they don't have quite as many features as nvidia has, but for raw price to performance, AMD is killing it, and has been for a while.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Lollll at the blower at the end of the video as a reminder how loud reference 290x are

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

• 3 weeks later...

Yea I don't mind either radeon or Nvidia GPU. But for CPUs Intel are the way for anything but real budget builds, and even then I'd give it a good think.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I completely agree with you, many people have pushed amd away, because of the promises of nvidia, or intel. Although nvidia and intel have a lot of features and usability, amd is still a HUGE competitor. I do agree that amd is slacking in most categories of performance (new intel and nvidia products), but they have been the most innovative and their overall user base has stayed around the 20th percentile for quite some time. Look at the fx 8350, it used to be the ultimate server/productivity/gaming CPU for the price out there, but then intel came out with their 8 core. Most of the time, amd has the best price to performance ratio, and to the new pc builders, that's the most important part. And to my knowledge, they still have the most powerful gpu out there right now (r9 295x2) that kicks the gtx 980's butt as well as the gtx Titan z's.

I personally won't go near AMD at the moment because i think intel and Nvidia's CURRENT offerings are better, The 900 series and intel CPUs are the high end are better, at the moment.

but i truly hope that isn't always the case. I want AMD to kick Nvidia's butt, and then i want Nvidia to come back swinging with something that destroys AMD. The competition between the brands is the driving force in aggressively priced cards and cpus and innovation to deliver higher performance at lower costs, lower temperatures, lower power requirements. 

So intel vs AMD and AMD vs Nvidia wars just feel pointless, because if someone properly "wins" and eliminates the competition, the consumer is going to lose. We'll get less innovation and higher prices guaranteed. I hope AMD come out with some truly top of the line stuff to compete soon. 

Also DeMentedBananaz, the R295x2 is effectively two graphics cards stapled together, if you want a proper comparison you have to look at a 2 card SLI, not one card.

tbh, my experiences with AMD haven't been the greatest, for example a friend of mine owns an HP Pavillion notebook

It's not AMD, we know some HP Pavilions overheat due to a lack of cooling. My craptop hits 105C when downloading a steam game.

I'd appreciate if AMD started competing and if Intel didn't try to do shady shit. I just want a good, reasonable priced CPU.

AMD GPUs, while not my choice, are competitive.  Their CPUs on the other hand are a joke.   They need to get on their game.   We need competition.  Intel is putting out good products but without competition who knows.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I fear the day that AMD dies. I'm not saying they're going to die, but if they do it's going to be a dark era for PC enthusiasts.
I'm not saying Intel and nVidia are bad or evil, but usually whenever a company gets a monopoly over their market things go sour. Without competition to push down prices and breed innovation the Hardware market will advance much slower, and quality will go down and prices will go up. We see the effect lack of competiton has in Universities and even Professional Wrestling, one of my favorite child hood pass times.

If AMD cant hack they should die like the market demands, I just hope they can hack it.

The only reason that is happening is because AMD is constantly undermined by most people as being the cheap rip-off. And does not have the money to spend on R + D to develop faster and more efficient gpus/cpus

The r9 3xx series will probably not be able to compete with Maxwell effiency, but the new cpu is promising yet a little bit late tbh

They are a cheap ripoff. For $200 for the 8350 I can get a good i5 (mind you, noon-k) and tear AMD a new poopshooter..

Also, a good reason they're losing is because the best cards they have (R9 290/290X) barely compete with green camp's second best (970) and to make matters worse, they're charging the same/if not more for them!

AMD doesn't know much about strategy lately. And no I'm no fanboy as I own a 7970. It was the most compelling/financially reasonable purchase at the time.

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

It's forums grammar doesn't matter unless u spell the words completely wrong

And don't be that guy who's the grammar nazi

Grammar doesn't matter to those who choose not to incorporate it properly into their sentences; or for those who are too ignorant to know it.

And as always, hev nice deigh!

i5 2500k+Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB HyperX Blu - 240GB PNY XLR8 - Sapphire Reference 7970 - P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 - OCZ ZX 850W

Unlike *some* people, I do not claim to be an expert computer guru.  When I make mistakes, I apologise and I own up to them.  Then, I continue to learn so that I may provide those in need with educated answers to the best of my ability.

I think it is their CPU's that are failing more than their GPU's. AMD used to beat Intel when it came to budget processors, but now that Intel has released the overclockable Pentium, there is really no reason not to buy Intel. The R9 series of graphics cards have great price to performance, but I think they need to make a really, really high end GPU to compete with the Nvidia's high end offerings like the Titan. I want the old days back with the Phenom's and Core 2's and how hard it was to make a decision about which processor to buy.

The 9590 is the strongest CPU AMD has, and the 4770k beats it! So I think the CPUs are a less performance but cheaper option, but the GPUs are on par with nvidia performance-wise. However they don't have stuff like streaming and GFE...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Even when AMD/Intel CPUs were pretty much exactly the same (286/386/486) and even when AMD was better (1st gen FX vs Pentium 4/Pentium D), Intel was more popular. Why? Because Intel has convinced people that it is "cool". They don't air as many commercials nowadays but back in the Pentium III and 4 days they were putting ads on TV 100X per day, every day. Those ads with blue man group and the clean-suit workers in the multi colored suits were really catchy. People saw these ads and said "Intel must be better than any other CPU". Not because it was true, but because AMD wasn't putting out ads for Athlons. They just never had the money to do it. Honestly, it's a miracle AMD has survived at all and not gone the way of Matrox, who also used to make CPUs, such as the absolutely horrendous "Millenium" CPUs.

Intel has commercials with Blue Man group, Bunny suit men, Homer SImpson. AMD has... nothing. They just design chips. They don't even manufacture them themselves...

It was the smartest thing AMD ever did when they bought ATi. Without that purchase, AMD wouldn't have GPUs or APUs. They'd just have the FX line... and we all know how that would turn out.

Edit: Oops! Looks like AMD does make TV ads, but they spell out my point perfectly. Here's an AMD ad

(skip to 0:08)

And here's an Intel ad

If you were a layperson, which CPU looks cooler to you? Intel. Bam.

What the hell does cricket have to do with a CPU?! But you're right the Intel ad was cooler

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

It's not that long ago that the tables were turned. ATi dug their own grave when they sold off to AMD, as did AMD when they bought ATi. Ever since then they've been handicapped by their own folly. Can't bring myself to feel sorry for that.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Thread title is pure gold, -5/10

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

r9 300's in februrary, that's going to tell how it's going to be.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

I think its more because people know nVidia better (in a sense of advertising). To me, it seems as though nVidia has a huge budget, that they use on advertising, although I could be wrong here.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Grammar doesn't matter to those who choose not to incorporate it properly into their sentences; or for those who are too ignorant to know it.

And as always, hev nice deigh!

Grammar doesn't matter so long as you can understand the point they're trying to make.

Don't be an asshole.

Grammar doesn't matter so long as you can understand the point they're trying to make.

Don't be an asshole.

There's no excuse for not knowing grammar!

Personally, I can't stand it :)  I'm not being an asshole.

There's no excuse for not knowing grammar!

Personally, I can't stand it :)  I'm not being an asshole.

It's a forum, not an English 12 essay. Don't get your panties in a bunch over some bad grammar. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s