Nexus 9 is apparently as powerful as a 2012 Mac Pro - Speculation

GoodBytes

My god, you are quick to assign me the "bully" label when you yourself take up the position of "arguing for the sake of arguing" in most threads yourself.

That isn't what I said at all, but go ahead and put words in my mouth all the same. 

I wouldn't say I've been quick to give you that label since I've seen it many times before. I don't think I have the position of "arguing for the sake of arguing" in most threads either. If I see something actually wrong or something I disagree with then I will respond.

There are many threads where I just browse through them and "like" a bunch of posts because they have already said what I think.

Just look at the Dropbox vs kids thread. Everyone except one thought Dropbox was in the right, and so did I. If I only wanted to argue wouldn't it make more sense to me to post the opposite?

Yes, that is what you said. You were being demeaning and calling people irrational.

I absolutely hate the Nexus 9. If I had it my way I want it to sell 9 units in total. This thread is about the advancements in mobile performance though and it is a very important subject. Saying that people who cares about it is irrational is being a bully in my eyes.

What if I said everyone who cares about Apple are irrational, and then went around and said it in a lot of threads? Wouldn't you call me a bully too?

Wow... Faster as a Mac Pro, thats freakin awesome.

CPU i7 4790 - GPU Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce 3x OC - RAM 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury - MOBO Asus B85M-E - Case CM Silencio 550 Storage 2x 1TB WD Red - OS Windows 8.1 OEM - Phone OnePlus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I just think lets wait and see

I prefer having them separate and decide what things I have on what drive.

What if there is only one drive bay :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd still probably buy the new iPad Air 2 instead. Can't deal with the cheap build quality of Android.

I'd still probably buy the new iPad Air 2 instead. Can't deal with the cheap build quality of Android.

It's not even out yet, and it's made by HTC.

At least try it out before making your mind up.

But the real question is can it run crysis?

Well... considering that Crysis doesn't run on MacOS...

Well... considering that Crysis doesn't run on MacOS...

Bootcamp and lots of modifications. If you want to run it on MacOS then there is a way.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Bootcamp and lots of modifications. If you want to run it on MacOS then there is a way.

You can change the OS of the Nexus 9, and install an OS x86 emulator, and install Windows on top of it, and code your own drivers for the GPU and play Crysis. Yes. You can make all this yourself.

You can change the OS of the Nexus 9, and install an OS x86 emulator, and install Windows on top of it, and code your own drivers for the GPU and play Crysis. Yes. You can make all this yourself.

You do realize I was joking with the "can it run crysis?" Comment right?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

They have a Nexus 4, add in a 2 and a 0....

The name of the GPU on the Nexus 6 sounds so promising

"Rawr XD"

It's not even out yet, and it's made by HTC.

At least try it out before making your mind up.

Never had much luck with HTC phones so not a really convincing argument lol. 

Do we have confirmed or semi-confirmed durations on battery life?

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Never had much luck with HTC phones so not a really convincing argument lol. 

When was the last time you had a HTC phone? I had a desire and I wasn't too impressed with the quality of build, but my experience with their latest phones like the M8 is very positive. Very well built phones.

To be honest, while this is amazing, it is not like the Tegra K1 (64-bit) will be the most powerful SoC in mobile devices, i.e. tablets. Wait until you see the iPad Air 2 kick its ass in both CPU and GPU performance. Still a great processor from Nvidia, and especially amazing since they don't exactly have the resources of Apple. But the A8X is now a thing and it will dominate...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

To be honest, while this is amazing, it is not like the Tegra K1 (64-bit) will be the most powerful SoC in mobile devices, i.e. tablets. Wait until you see the iPad Air 2 kick its ass in both CPU and GPU performance. Still a great processor from Nvidia, and especially amazing since they don't exactly have the resources of Apple. But the A8X is now a thing and it will dominate...

I am skeptical, but we shall see. What I have seen Tegra K1 do so far is pretty incredible.

Rumors has it that it's an unlicensed x86-ish core that does binary translation from ARMv8 to whatever it uses internally.

Denver was supposed to be a x86 processor, however Intel paid them off. So Nvidia cannot make or stimulate a x86 processor.

It proberly uses Nvidias own RISC-a-like instruction language.

Denver was supposed to be a x86 processor, however Intel paid them off. So Nvidia cannot make or stimulate a x86 processor.

I doubt that...That would've required Android to be ported to that. I'm also not even sure whether NVidia designed the actual CPU cores...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

I am skeptical, but we shall see. What I have seen Tegra K1 do so far is pretty incredible.

Yes I agree with you that the Tegra K1, especially the Denver (64-Bit) is really quite amazing...But:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=iPhone+6

The A8X will likely have the same CPU but with significantly higher clocks, advertised as being 40% faster than the iPad Air's A7 (rough average of 2600 in the multicore), which would give a score somewhere in the region of 3600. The GPU gets the real increase, most likely being, like the previous AxX SoC, twice the GPU cores on a 128-bit memory bus instead of 64-bit. GPU performance should therefore be around 2x of what the iPhone 6 can do, which is impressive and should be outperforming the Tegra K1 (even if not by that much).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an x86-ish (and by that I mean it is not a full x86 core, but a modified version of it) core under the hood. We might never know though.

It will be very interesting to see how well it performs and if there are any compatibility issues.

I doubt that...That would've required Android to be ported to that. I'm also not even sure whether NVidia designed the actual CPU cores...

Nvidia has in fact designed the core. It is not just a stock design licensed from ARM.

it will do binary translation from ARMv8 to whatever mysterious internal instruction set it uses.

The A8X will likely have the same CPU but with significantly higher clocks, advertised as being 40% faster than the iPad Air's A7 (rough average of 2600 in the multicore), which would give a score somewhere in the region of 3600. The GPU gets the real increase, most likely being, like the previous AxX SoC, twice the GPU cores on a 128-bit memory bus instead of 64-bit. GPU performance should therefore be around 2x of what the iPhone 6 can do, which is impressive and should be outperforming the Tegra K1 (even if not by that much).

The CPU is most likely the 6 core version of the PowerVR GX6650. The iPhone 6 uses the quad core model so we will probably see a ~50% increase in raw GPU performance + maybe higher memory bandwidth.

My guess is that it will perform very similarly to the Tegra K1 in terms of GPU horsepower. CPU performance is a mystery though.

As I understand it, Denver was supposed to be able to translate x86 into its own internal instructions but Intel wouldn't grant Nvidia the rights to their patents.

I want the nexus 9 to replace my old asus transformer prime tf201

I still have a 1st gen Transformer TF-101 :P It was so awesome when it was new, but now it's soooooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwwww. It's running a Tegra 2 SoC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)