Nexus 9 is apparently as powerful as a 2012 Mac Pro - Speculation

GoodBytes

Yeah, I just read, apparently that particular Mac Pro had 12-cores and a multicore score of 20,000. The guy (in the tweet) is talking shit.

its geekbench, it basically means fuck all though

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Sweet too bad android is such a clunky OS :/

Not at all on Nexus devices. Android for some reason still gets the image it had before 4.2 Nowadays it's smooth, and elegant. This is all on Nexus devices. TouchWiz is a plague.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Not at all on Nexus devices. Android for some reason still gets the image it had before 4.2 Nowadays it's smooth, and elegant. This is all on Nexus devices. TouchWiz is a plague.

Smooth, slick and fast... yes

Still clunky though, managing files for etc and the fragmentation that still exists, and devices that are incompatible with certain apps etc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

it pretty much has two large A57 cores 

It's not A57. Nvidia has been working on Denver for a long time. Rumors has it that it's an unlicensed x86-ish core that does binary translation from ARMv8 to whatever it uses internally.

I hate these benchmarks comparisons for example here is a comparison of the A8 vs the K1 

(cant find any comparing the K1 directly to desktop CPU)

here is a K1 being whooped by the A8 in a benchmark

<SunSpider>

and here is the K1 whopping the A8 in the next

<GFXBench>

The Sunspider test is irrelevant because the browser used makes a huge difference (so even with the same CPU you can get widely different scores). It's more of a "how well does this chip with this browser perform in certain situation" test, not a "how good is this CPU" test.

On top of that, browsers are heavily optimized for that specific test alone because it's such a common benchmark.

For anyone interested, my i5-2500K with Firefox 34 gets 143.6ms in that test (while doing stuff in the background) so I think it's pretty safe to say that phones are most likely not even close to 3 year old desktops.

Ok so basically

-128gb of SSD plus a Mechanical drive - seen by the user as one storage drive

- The OS and major files and documents are stored on the SSD permenantly

- the SSD is prioritized for more frequently accessed files and applications

- there is a buffer (like 10gb of storage) reserved for passing files back and forwards, that means there is no lag when a program is moved, as it may be stored on both the SSD and hard drive at the same time (a bit like RAM caching your program)

Yes, that is SSD caching (plus the write buffer part). It's the same as the Seagate Momentus XT but with a much bigger SSD part (the Momentus only has 8GB of SSD space) and it's the same as Intel Smart Response (but in a single drive instead of two separate ones).

It's a nice idea for people who don't want to mess around with multiple drives and partitions but personally I prefer having them separate and decide what things I have on what drive.

For those of you who are interested, here is the Denver based K1 vs the Exynos 5433 on Geekbench.

Denver wins at single core performance by quite a lot, but the Exynos stomps it at multi core performance. I am not sure but I don't think the Exynos is running in 64bit mode either since it's only on Android 4.4.4. That would explain the huge difference in for example the AES score.

Won't be surprised as Nvidia said that Denver will have haswell like performance.

Maybe spelled Denver wrong.

Correct

You can't because it isn't out yet and we don't have enough information, I hop Nvidia Denfers will have Haswell like performance.

Don't know how to spell denfer.

Denver

*Denver

Yes, I live 20 min away from Denver and I work in Denver

Correct

Denver

Yes, I live 20 min away from Denver and I work in Denver

I mean Denver by 64-bit K1, I think you are kidding but maybe you aren't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I mean Denver by 64-bit K1, I think you are kidding but maybe you aren't.

Yes I am joking. I was well aware of the 64bit tegra. 

I thought it would be funny.

I have an LG G3 and its nothing like IOS in terms of smoothness.

Bear in mind a couple of things:

The screen of the LG G3 is pretty hard to push compared to the rather low resolution of iPhones.

There is LG's skin to consider.

"Smoothness" is a hard thing to quantify. Is it about framerate? How quick apps load? How quickly a touch is registered?

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Yes I am joking. I was well aware of the 64bit tegra. 

I thought it would be funny.

How is the weather there?? are you enjoying the autumn???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

How is the weather there?? are you enjoying the autumn???

In Denver it self, hazy and nice. I my town (20mi or so away) Very nice! Autumn is really great here in Colorado. The whole state is just amazing.

lol it's these anti apple articles

compare K1 and Mac Pro? use single core benchmarks!

compare snapdragon and A8? use multicore benchmarks!

Use ALL the benchmarks ;)

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

lol it's these anti apple articles

compare K1 and Mac Pro? use single core benchmarks!

compare snapdragon and A8? use multicore benchmarks!

Us automotive people call these guys "bench racers". They spend all day reading spec sheets instead of actually using. 

99% of consumers won't be assed to give a shit about spec sheet numbers. They will never exploit their products that way. They won't care. 

That other 1%? Chances are they need a certain product to fit their workflow or budget or what have you, so they'll pick what performs the absolute best in their specific use. 

The computers I use to render 4K might not be the computers I use to crunch through 50k cell Excel files; see what I'm saying? The requirements in both scenarios don't match up, and they shouldn't. 

But fuck it, lets not be rational. 

It's now available for pre-order.

Although, please don't make the above benchmark claim as your deciding factor. We will only know for sure at 100% once the product is released.

Only the Wi-Fi model is available for now. The LTE is coming later.

16GB of storage for $399

32GB of storage for $479

LTE model (no info on storage size) will be for 599$

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/17/6995071/nexus-9-preorder-pricing-availability-release-date

And cpus have good naming scheme I think.

AMD cpus really don't make that much sense either

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It's just stupid that it only has low capacity options, 16 and 32 gb...

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

AMD cpus really don't make that much sense either

What?? ex: FX higher you go better performance and Athlon as well.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

What?? ex: FX higher you go better performance and Athlon as well.

They have like three different lines, each with their own numbering. It's much to complicated. You should be able to say "It has a high number, it must be better" not "uhh, it's an athlon, whats that mean"

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

They have like three different lines, each with their own numbering. It's much to complicated. You should be able to say "It has a high number, it must be better" not "uhh, it's an athlon, whats that mean"

It's clear FX are CPUs and A(s) are APU and Athlons are APUs with the GPU disabled.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Us automotive people call these guys "bench racers". They spend all day reading spec sheets instead of actually using. 

99% of consumers won't be assed to give a shit about spec sheet numbers. They will never exploit their products that way. They won't care. 

That other 1%? Chances are they need a certain product to fit their workflow or budget or what have you, so they'll pick what performs the absolute best in their specific use. 

The computers I use to render 4K might not be the computers I use to crunch through 50k cell Excel files; see what I'm saying? The requirements in both scenarios don't match up, and they shouldn't.

Don't you ever get tired of bullying people that don't agree with you?

GoodBytes: "Hey look at how far mobile processors have come!"

You: "lol nobody gives a shit about that. You're completely irrational about specs!"

You're very mistaken if you think people don't care about specs by the way. Apple spent almost the entire keynotes yesterday talking about specs. How many transistors the new SoC has, how many pixels their new iMac has, what CPU and GPU they use and even as far as to specify the connection type of the storage.

My god, you are quick to assign me the "bully" label when you yourself take up the position of "arguing for the sake of arguing" in most threads yourself.

That isn't what I said at all, but go ahead and put words in my mouth all the same. 

Hopefully this wont be the power hungry hot mess that was Tegra 3...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

That's not saying much.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

but what about the other 1% of #PCMASTERRACE people who will buy a 5960x and oc it to play minecraft?

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein