Will the GT630 be a bottleneck here?

Speedbird

Hi

If you read the title, you probably think I'm an idiot. No, I'm not. I know that the GT630 is a low-end card and that I shouldn't buy it, but I have one. So here's my question: will it bottleneck a Core 2 Quad Q8200? I don't know how much of compares to modern CPUs, but I know that it was made back when the 8800 GTX was the king (well, as far as I know). So my question is: will it bottleneck, and if yes, what would be the most suitable card here.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

i don't think so but it might

Hi

If you read the title, you probably think I'm an idiot. No, I'm not. I know that the GT630 is a low-end card and that I shouldn't buy it, but I have one. So here's my question: will it bottleneck a Core 2 Quad Q8200? I don't know how much of compares to modern CPUs, but I know that it was made back when the 8800 GTX was the king (well, as far as I know). So my question is: will it bottleneck, and if yes, what would be the most suitable card here.

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I dont think it will, but if it does, get a used GT610 or a 9800GT or something like it...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

nah

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Hi

the coes on that processor are equal if not better than the fx series cores o i would buy like a 750-760

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

It won't.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

that would be a yes, for example, if you get the 7870 xt which i have you would get way higher fps's.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

the coes on that processor are equal if not better than the fx series cores o i would buy like a 750-760

if Phenom II competed with Core 2 Quad, i doubt FX would be any weaker. as weak as FX cores are, they aren't five-years-ago bad.

but anyways, to the OP: i ran a GTX570 with a Phenom II just fine; a friend of mine runs an older Athlon dual-core with a GTX 560 Ti (out of necessity more than anything). i doubt a GT630 would be any trouble for a C2Q.

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

Yes it would, most likeley. A GTX 470 would be a good, old school match for that CPU. 

who cares...

Hi

You will always either have a CPU bottleneck or a GPU bottleneck. Something always hits its limit before the other does. Its probably impossible to balance your hardware to such a degree that each component was able to sit at 100% utilization, and even if you could, no two games tax the hardware the same. There are games out there that can become CPU-bound on almost any hardware you can buy today, and some where all you really need is a relatively modern dual-core to become GPU-bound.

That said, yeah, I'd say its fairly urgent to replace that GT 630 when you have the opportunity. Do you have a budget in mind? I wouldn't stress too much over bottlenecks, as most games will probably still reward a faster GPU up into the $300 range or so.

I would not advise older hardware, though. You can usually get similarly-performing new hardware for comparable prices and much, much lower power consumption.

if Phenom II competed with Core 2 Quad, i doubt FX would be any weaker. as weak as FX cores are, they aren't five-years-ago bad.

but anyways, to the OP: i ran a GTX570 with a Phenom II just fine; a friend of mine runs an older Athlon dual-core with a GTX 560 Ti (out of necessity more than anything). i doubt a GT630 would be any trouble for a C2Q.

at equal clockspeeds the fx is slower but the intel is at 2.5 so yea

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Thanks guys. I think I'll get a 750 Ti to replace the 630. Will run some benchmarks too once I get the CPU, see if there is an actual bottleneck.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I currently have a Core 2 Quad 9300 and I have used it with two videocards: 9600 GT (for 6 years) and a GTX 770 (for about a year).

I can play games with better settings now with the 770 so, even if there's some bottleneck by the CPU, it is handling BF3 on High+ settings pretty well, not going over 71ºC on any core, and keeping 60+FPS at 1080p.

So, to answer your question, I don't think you'd notice a gigantic bottleneck with a high-end graphics card, such as the 770, even with your Q8200.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

I don't see how a graphic cards can bottleneck a CPU. You shouldn't get any GT series for gaming (GT 630, etc.) but if all you want is a graphic card for video watching, having many display on the same card (no gaming tho) like those high VRAM low power graphic cards, etc.

GT series aren't great for performance/price ratio, GTX series are.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Thanks guys. I think I'll get a 750 Ti to replace the 630. Will run some benchmarks too once I get the CPU, see if there is an actual bottleneck.

A 750Ti should work perfectly with your rig, and bottlenecks wil be different for some games, since some games actually can use more than 2 CPU cores.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W