LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

My 3.3 GHz seemed stable until I ran IBT which gave me a BSOD.  When I'm doing most other things, I don't get a BSOD (I haven't done all that much, except for Skype and web browsing, and haven't gotten a single BSOD)  Is there anything I can do to stabilize this? More voltage?  Is it safe to add more voltage?

Well you can do more Vcore or just stick with 3.3, B3 steppings usually didn't get much more than 3.3 and given your board isn't the best I'd not go much higher.

What I'd work on now is making sure the 3.3GHz clock you have is stable (10 passes of IBT on maximum), and all your temps are in check.

I like to use CPUID HWMonitor and RealTemp GT for my temps :)

I have Core Temp, and it's set to be on the icon tray on the taskbar.  Is that okay to use?  It seems to be accurate, because once I reinstalled my stock fan incorrectly like a noob and It was 80C idle and 100C load.  

I've seen some socket adapters that you can buy on eBay, I'm not sure if they're legit or not.

http://tinyurl.com/mw3cv5d

That's what you use to get a socket 771 CPU to work on a socket 775 motherboard. However you need to cut the tabs at the side of the socket so that you can install the CPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015L7EZM/?tag=pcpapi-20

I sort of want to get one of these and go ham, not caring if I fry it.

But I care about my motherboard.

If you fry a CPU, is your motherboard in danger of being damaged as well?

Like, if I overvolt this thing to like 1.5 or 1.6, will that strain my mobo?

Cuz getting a C2D chip for 12 bucks to try for like 4 GHz would be nice

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015L7EZM/?tag=pcpapi-20

I sort of want to get one of these and go ham, not caring if I fry it.

But I care about my motherboard.

If you fry a CPU, is your motherboard in danger of being damaged as well?

Like, if I overvolt this thing to like 1.5 or 1.6, will that strain my mobo?

Cuz getting a C2D chip for 12 bucks to try for like 4 GHz would be nice

If you can find one (and afford it), buy a Core 2 Duo E8400 or an E8500, they hit 4GHz easily and can manage higher overclocks if your cooling is good enough.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have a Q8300, and I'm about to have a P5Q-E. Chances are I won't be overclocking, but if I were to, what's the max clock I could get out of it without raising the voltage to ultra jesus?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

I have a Q8300, and I'm about to have a P5Q-E. Chances are I won't be overclocking, but if I were to, what's the max clock I could get out of it without raising the voltage to ultra jesus?

~3.3GHz

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_2_q8300_2.5ghz/

I have an MSI g31m3lv2 along with an old Pentium D 950(?) & a C2D e6550. Any over clocking chances? I wanna know before I invest into an aftermarket cooler, ram and other parts for it.

I expect your board allows for increasing the FSB but not the voltage. You could probably get a couple hundred MHz from the Pentium D and maybe 300 from the 6550 (IIRC they weren't too great).

Ah ok. So not the best for overclocking. That's a bummer. I wanted to have some fun with it lol

No probably not, you could still have a wee bit of fun though I guess.

I had my CPU at 3.3 GHz using 1.425V for the CPU voltage.  I ran 10 rounds of IBT on the Maximum setting, and it resulted in a BSOD.  It's currently on 3.2 GHz.  Is there a way to stabilize my system running at 3.3 GHz?  It works fine just organizing files and using web browsers and such.  If there IS a way to stabilize it, how?

i have a E5800 here. i want to overclock it using a stock heatsink fan. how many power can i get? and what are the setting i will put on the bios. TY :)

I had my CPU at 3.3 GHz using 1.425V for the CPU voltage.  I ran 10 rounds of IBT on the Maximum setting, and it resulted in a BSOD.  It's currently on 3.2 GHz.  Is there a way to stabilize my system running at 3.3 GHz?  It works fine just organizing files and using web browsers and such.  If there IS a way to stabilize it, how?

Generally more voltage :P

i have a E5800 here. i want to overclock it using a stock heatsink fan. how many power can i get? and what are the setting i will put on the bios. TY :)

Try 220 on the FSB witout changing voltage to start :)

Guys has anyone ever overclocked an ic2d e6300 Or a pretty similar cpu? Im not s. Familiar with overclocking so i was wondering if someone could tell me the settings i should use. Thanks in advance

Guys has anyone ever overclocked an ic2d e6300 Or a pretty similar cpu? Im not s. Familiar with overclocking so i was wondering if someone could tell me the settings i should use. Thanks in advance

Well they follow the same method, it's a 200MHz FSB CPU with a ~1.9GHz clock, so just raise the FSB to 220 or so and see how it goes :)

@harrynowl

http://download1.gigabyte.asia/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3®_e.pdf

I was reading the manual for my board

at page 39 onwards

i kinda confused as how the board seperates the RAM from the northbridge OC to improve the stability of my OC

any ideas which should i touch?

i will only touch the multiplier for the CPU since it is an unlocked CPU

and seems like the EIST is working since the CPU-ZID is showing the CPU clocking at 1.6GHz+ at 1.1+ volts at Windows at idle

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

@harrynowl

http://download1.gigabyte.asia/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3®_e.pdf

I was reading the manual for my board

at page 39 onwards

i kinda confused as how the board seperates the RAM from the northbridge OC to improve the stability of my OC

any ideas which should i touch?

i will only touch the multiplier for the CPU since it is an unlocked CPU

and seems like the EIST is working since the CPU-ZID is showing the CPU clocking at 1.6GHz+ at 1.1+ volts at Windows at idle

The nForce 680I SLI I used for a bit had Unlinked mode for the RAM so the NB overclock didn't impact my RAM frequency settings. But to my knowledge Intel didn't offer that feature on their chipsets.

On P45 you should be able to change the strap though giving you a wider range of frequencies, on my P5Q I can just leave it on auto and it lists all the clocks, and depending on which clock I choose it sets the strap for me.

I'd start with overclocking your CPU with the north-bridge a little to see how the board handles RAM, but as you have an extreme you have the joys of an unlocked multiplier so you shouldn't need to worry too much :)

The nForce 680I SLI I used for a bit had Unlinked mode for the RAM so the NB overclock didn't impact my RAM frequency settings. But to my knowledge Intel didn't offer that feature on their chipsets.

On P45 you should be able to change the strap though giving you a wider range of frequencies, on my P5Q I can just leave it on auto and it lists all the clocks, and depending on which clock I choose it sets the strap for me.

I'd start with overclocking your CPU with the north-bridge a little to see how the board handles RAM, but as you have an extreme you have the joys of an unlocked multiplier so you shouldn't need to worry too much :)

yea i got the extreme CPU

but before i do any OC

i def need to find Intel mountings for the Scythe Zipang cooler

so far no luck finding it thou

given that this is a old cooler made for AM3 socket

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Capture.png

So is there anything wrong with this picture?  It's running at 3200MHz.  Is the Vcore safe?  The FSB speed good?  1.440V on the Vcore.  The multiplier is actually at 9x.  Any more I can do?

Capture.png

So is there anything wrong with this picture?  It's running at 3200MHz.  Is the Vcore safe?  The FSB speed good?  1.440V on the Vcore.  The multiplier is actually at 9x.  Any more I can do?

Looks pretty good, but you could work on bringing the vcore down- but it's not a dangerous vcore you have there.

I have a gigabyte ga-p965-ds3 mother board with an e4300 conroe core2duo. wondering what a realistic overclock for this is. base is 1.8ghz but the guy i got it from had it up around 3.6 or so.  ram is running around 400mhz and i have it reset to factory timings while i get the system running. any tips for tweaks? has award bios, seems to be missing some of the settings that your pics have.

I have a gigabyte ga-p965-ds3 mother board with an e4300 conroe core2duo. wondering what a realistic overclock for this is. base is 1.8ghz but the guy i got it from had it up around 3.6 or so.  ram is running around 400mhz and i have it reset to factory timings while i get the system running. any tips for tweaks? has award bios, seems to be missing some of the settings that your pics have.

3.6GHz would be a straight doubling of the FSB... I think 2.4GHz would be a reasonable starting point (9*266). Adjust RAM back to ~400Mhz when you've set the FSB.

Hi guys,

Got a GA-P945p-DS3 with a E6550 Core2Duo stock at 2.33GHz and 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2 667MHz.

Overclocked at 3.14 GHz with a CPUCoreV of 1.2V, try to push more the FSB and the voltage to 1.45v to get a higher frequency but got a crash immediately at boot.

DRAM frequency are set at standards but also overclocked??

Also got 50c in Load with the stock cooler.

So I know it's already a 35% overlock but maybe I lose something. :)

Any suggest??

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

3.6GHz would be a straight doubling of the FSB... I think 2.4GHz would be a reasonable starting point (9*266). Adjust RAM back to ~400Mhz when you've set the FSB.

I got an E4300 to 3.1Ghz on the stock cooler.

Mine had heaps of headroom, loved it at the time.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz