LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

QMAM is the one you want, odds are it's B3 as I don't think G0 saw a box release for that qx6700, they released the QX6850 as the new stepping

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yep get that ;)

Paid for, woo hoo-at least now I have a full OC rig -and the RAM speed doesn't matter  :D , so I can go 8GB instead of 6GB.

PMSL

Paid for, woo hoo-at least now I have a full OC rig -and the RAM speed doesn't matter  :D , so I can go 8GB instead of 6GB.

Nice one :)

I'm not spending on overclocking goodies for now as I'm looking to buy my first car this month :P

I just had a look at the QX9770, and got a $300+slap in the face. 7 years on and they are only down to a third of the price.

PMSL

I just had a look at the QX9770, and got a $300+slap in the face. 7 years on and they are only down to a third of the price.

There weren't many going around, not many people bought them then and no-one should be now :P

There weren't many going around, not many people bought them then and no-one should be now :P

Lol, especially with the i5 4690K going around.

PMSL

Hi guys, I'm planning to OC my core 2 duo, and I'm wondering, if I change the DRAM frequency manually in the BIOS, does that automatically change the FSB:DRAM divider? I have 1333MHz memory and the CPU has a 333MHz bus, which makes it a 1:2 ratio, as CPU-Z shows. I don't really want to OC the memory, so if I set it to a lower speed and then up the FSB, will it still stay in spec?

Also, how do I find my stock VCore? It shows as different values depending on load in CPU-Z. Highest I've seen it is 1.264, so should I just set it to 1.25 and go from there?

Hi guys, I'm planning to OC my core 2 duo, and I'm wondering, if I change the DRAM frequency manually in the BIOS, does that automatically change the FSB:DRAM divider? I have 1333MHz memory and the CPU has a 333MHz bus, which makes it a 1:2 ratio, as CPU-Z shows. I don't really want to OC the memory, so if I set it to a lower speed and then up the FSB, will it still stay in spec?

Also, how do I find my stock VCore? It shows as different values depending on load in CPU-Z. Highest I've seen it is 1.264, so should I just set it to 1.25 and go from there?

Set the RAM to the lowest possible speed (667MHz if I remember correctly from my E8500), then overclock. Also, that RAM will easily stay within spec, its well above the frequency that most Core 2 FSB can reach.

PMSL

Then it'd seem around 1.25-1.275 is your stock vcore, try starting at 1.275V  :)

I answered the first part in your thread (I believe, if I missed anything let me know :))

OK, thank you guys, I think I get it now :) Basically if I set "DRAM Frequency" in BIOS to 667, it will make the FSB:DRAM ratio 1:1, and that will let me overclock the CPU without running into memory limits.

OK, thank you guys, I think I get it now :) Basically if I set "DRAM Frequency" in BIOS to 667, it will make the FSB:DRAM ratio 1:1, and that will let me overclock the CPU without running into memory limits.

Yep, and TBH I'm a bit jealous-I'm limited to a 533MHz FSB OC as my RAM is 1066MHz (and its the highest frequency my mobo's support).

PMSL

Yep, and TBH I'm a bit jealous-I'm limited to a 533MHz FSB OC as my RAM is 1066MHz (and its the highest frequency my mobo's support).

Well, that's still pretty good :D I probably won't go over 400 because of temps. They are already close to 60 with Prime. (Then again, I think I installed the cooler backwards, it's working against the case fans lol.. gonna have to reinstall that when thermal paste gets here)

Well, that's still pretty good :D I probably won't go over 400 because of temps. They are already close to 60 with Prime. (Then again, I think I installed the cooler backwards, it's working against the case fans lol.. gonna have to reinstall that when thermal paste gets here)

I know what you mean with the temps (I had issues at 4.42GHz, even with a liquid cooler). As a side note, the highest you can take your FSB before your RAM is out of spec is 666, which if it was an E8500 with a 9.5x multiplier would equal 6.332 GHz, so yeah.... you will never encounter problems with your RAM.

PMSL

I know what you mean with the temps (I had issues at 4.42GHz, even with a liquid cooler). As a side note, the highest you can take your FSB before your RAM is out of spec is 666, which if it was an E8500 with a 9.5x multiplier would equal 6.332 GHz, so yeah.... you will never encounter problems with your RAM.

Haha yep, that's reassuring.. unless I do phase-change cooling or something xD I just thought that there was no way to change the memory speed at all on this motherboard.

Haha yep, that's reassuring.. unless I do phase-change cooling or something xD I just thought that there was no way to change the memory speed at all on this motherboard.

I thought along the same lines with my P5K as well, it was a very cheap motherboard but it was brilliant for overclocking dual and single core CPUs-which in itself made a more expensive overclocking motherboard seem very poor value for money.

PMSL

I have never overclocked anything before. It seems like you're saying that my rig would be ideal for an overclock. Is that correct? Earlier today, I was trying to pick out a new cpu/mobo because I didn't realize they were good for anything.

My current build includes:

core2 quad q9550

nforce 790i ultra sli

GTX 960

4GB RM

850W PSU

Could somebody help me? What is the largest, hassle free overclock config I can manage for this setup? I'm willing to go buy a cooler if it means I can avoid a mobo/cpu upgrade, I had the cooler master evo in mind.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, and because of school I can't spend a week tweaking timings waiting for crashes.

Thanks!

I have never overclocked anything before. It seems like you're saying that my rig would be ideal for an overclock. Is that correct? Earlier today, I was trying to pick out a new cpu/mobo because I didn't realize they were good for anything.

core2 quad q9550

nforce 790i ultra sli

GTX 960

4GB RM

850W PSU

Could somebody help me? What is the largest, hassle free overclock config I can manage for this setup? I'm willing to go buy a cooler if it means I can avoid a mobo/cpu upgrade, I had the cooler master evo in mind.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, and because of school I can't spend a week tweaking timings waiting for crashes.

Thanks!

That actually does look like it is a good overclocking rig, very well balanced (apart from the PSU, that is overkill to the max). From what I've heard the Evo 212 is a good cooler, but just like a hassle free overclock for that CPU, I can't say for certain as I've never had experience with the cooler or CPU.

PMSL

core2 quad q9550

nforce 790i ultra sli

GTX 960

4GB RM

850W PSU

Thanks!

A 212 should suffice for a 'hassle free' overclock.

As you're on nForce you get the joys of unlinked DRAM, so run that of course.

Then just go for 4GHz, as that should be good for that chip :)

8.5 (ratio) * 470 = 4GHz

So set your bus to 470, then set CPU Vcore to 1.35V and CPU FSB to 1.3V :)

Good news, shipping error has been noticed and is being fixed. Board should arrive in a few days.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

When it arrives, would you kind gentlemen enjoy a picture? I just hope wherever it ended up that there are no broken pins on the board. :( 

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Yes please

She's a beauty. She's got heatsinks all over the PCB... Copper ones... <3 

I wouldn't mind giving her an overclock~

She's a beauty. She's got heatsinks all over the PCB... Copper ones... <3 

I wouldn't mind giving her an overclock~

:D

GA_EP45_Extreme_40.jpg

I've not really overclocked in a while. Would like some new chips and a bit more time... between college and 2 part time jobs I'm fairly out of time most days :P