LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

:D

GA_EP45_Extreme_40.jpg

I've not really overclocked in a while. Would like some new chips and a bit more time... between college and 2 part time jobs I'm fairly out of time most days :P

Forgive me, I need to change my pants. THAT HEATSINK HHNNNNNNGGGGG <3

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

:D

GA_EP45_Extreme_40.jpg

I've not really overclocked in a while. Would like some new chips and a bit more time... between college and 2 part time jobs I'm fairly out of time most days :P

All dem copper heatsinks.....

Forgive me, I need to change my pants. THAT HEATSINK HHNNNNNNGGGGG <3

Lol, still not as good as the one I'm bidding on though, its one of the first, if not the first motherboard with digi VRMs. Combine that with the ability to overclock within Windows itself-it is kickass.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

All dem copper heatsinks.....

Lol, still not as good as the one I'm bidding on though, its one of the first, if not the first motherboard with digi VRMs. Combine that with the ability to overclock within Windows itself-it is kickass.

Cool!! What board?

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

PMSL

Make like an ABit and stop POSTing. 

Just figured I'd make that joke xD

but it looks GOOD!

Make like an ABit and stop POSTing. 

Just figured I'd make that joke xD

but it looks GOOD!

It had better be, its just under $500 new in box and has destroyed my budget for 4x Raid 0 320GB HDD for my Dual P3 rig.

PMSL

It had better be, its just under $500 new in box and has destroyed my budget for 4x Raid 0 320GB HDD for my Dual P3 rig.

Hah! 

I'm back on the hype train for this motherboard. 

Look what showed up in the mail today!

post-101100-0-04694700-1426196325.jpg

Hang on, that's what I was going to buy, but bought the P5Q turbo instead *weeps*

PMSL

Hang on, that's what I was going to buy, but bought the P5Q turbo instead *weeps*

CPU, RAM, and heatsink installed!

CPU, RAM, and heatsink installed!

*throws a tantrum*lucky SOB, I can't even get my p5q to post

PMSL

Is that the nForce one from ASUS?

Nope, it's a p45. 

Is that the nForce one from ASUS?

The one you linked me was a p45 board.

what is it exactly? it lloks like mine but its missing a heat pipe and some power phases

P1010001.JPG

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

what is it exactly? it lloks like mine but its missing a heat pipe and some power phases

Asus P5Q-E :3

Ok, followed the guide, easily go my E4300 from it's meesly 1.8ghz stock speed to 2.5. zero issues after a week. thinking about trying for a faster speed. one strange thing is that the multiplier jumps around in cpuz, jumps from 6 to 9. windows reports the speed as 2.5. maybe it's because i left the voltage stuff on auto. idk. seems to be working alright.

I have a 2.4 Core 2 Duo in a locked down HP. Runs like 33c max at 2.4GHz and a very low voltage. Isn't it possible to overclock with a pin mod?

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Ok, followed the guide, easily go my E4300 from it's meesly 1.8ghz stock speed to 2.5. zero issues after a week. thinking about trying for a faster speed. one strange thing is that the multiplier jumps around in cpuz, jumps from 6 to 9. windows reports the speed as 2.5. maybe it's because i left the voltage stuff on auto. idk. seems to be working alright.

It's speedstep working, when your PC isn't doing anything there's no need for it to run at maximum speed :)

I have a 2.4 Core 2 Duo in a locked down HP. Runs like 33c max at 2.4GHz and a very low voltage. Isn't it possible to overclock with a pin mod?

Yes it may certainly be possible. I'd try find the PLL of your motherboard to start with before doing hardware mods.

hottest i've seen it get is around 55 to 60 c. not sure how hot they can handle. that was at full load.

hottest i've seen it get is around 55 to 60 c. not sure how hot they can handle. that was at full load.

IMHO that's pretty good. 

So, great news. I replaced the thermal paste in my system and it dropped the temps by as much as 20C. Guess i had to change it out since it was getting very thin. So, an issue popped up. The BIOS won't save my overclocks. I set it to 1333 frequency and upped the voltage to 1.4V, also setting RAM to 800. Saved it, rebooted it, realized it defaulted to 2.4GHz instead of the 3GHz i expected. Did the same with ram. Never had the issue before. It's just the overclocks that get affected, all the other parts of the BIOS still save fine. Could it be something wrong with the board?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

So, great news. I replaced the thermal paste in my system and it dropped the temps by as much as 20C. Guess i had to change it out since it was getting very thin. So, an issue popped up. The BIOS won't save my overclocks. I set it to 1333 frequency and upped the voltage to 1.4V, also setting RAM to 800. Saved it, rebooted it, realized it defaulted to 2.4GHz instead of the 3GHz i expected. Did the same with ram. Never had the issue before. It's just the overclocks that get affected, all the other parts of the BIOS still save fine. Could it be something wrong with the board?

Well other than 680i being not so great. Maybe.

I expect it's just detecting CPU settings it isn't liking and is resetting them.