Have You Ever Bought a Used PC Hardware?

Online or via friends, leave Your post.. also tell us  how much it cost you & how long it lasted & it's condition..

Details separate people.

I bought my mobo from a friend, but it was brand new.. So no, All my shit is new except for my monitors. 

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yup I bought a GTX 570 for my second PC it cost me £75 with postage around 5 months ago still works today. I also plan to buy another 780 TI from eBay.

I bought a bunch of used Seagate SAS drives used a couple of years ago. I got them at a fraction of the new price, and they still run this day.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I got a 550 ti SC from a friend for free. thing is still alive and kicking LIKE A BOSS. Constant 60+ on 1600x900.

"I take my spirit and I smash my mirrors,
And now the whole world is here for me to see,
Now I'm searching for my love to be."
-Jimi Hendrix, Room Full of Mirrors

Buying second hand hardware is simply the luck of the draw. The said piece you wish to purchase second hand may work flawlessly, and last a good couple years, by which time you would've upgraded to newer hardware anyway. Or it could conk out within a matter of weeks or months.

Personally with PC hardware, it's something i would prefer never go for second hand parts. 

Hard Drives and graphics cards especially. And most AMD cards, since a lot of people have been mining the shit out of them, and then slapped on new thermal paste and decided to resell it.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Yep, bought 290x's used, worked fine. Resold the first one to pay for a 290x lightning that I bought used.  Had an issue with the bios but I fixed it so it's alright now.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yes I did, I had a small "business" going on. I was buying from ebay, GPUs,CPUs Mobos etc. and resell, or make small build and sell nearby. Made ton of people happy, this was 4 years ago, and everything went well till last year :D.. and yet no one called me with any problem. For each build I gaved them 1 year warranty. I did bought many Q8200s, HD 5700 serie, good deal with GTX 480's, 1366 mobos. Once I bought a i7 980x for $220 from a guy in Hungary, by that time on ebay the cpu was $650+ .. so a rly nice deal, and many other little things like this. lol. I do belive in the tech we had, that is made to last at least 8, at least.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

I bought my server off ebay for £200.

Really happy with it as it came with a blu-ray player that costs around £80, so I ripped it out and put it in my main rig and also 16Gb of ECC RAM which would've cost me at least another £150-200 if I was to upgrade it myself.

Came in perfect condition, and still runs fine after having it for over a year.

[Edit] Oh yes, not technically PC hardware but I also bought a pair of Sennheiser HD650s for under £200 off Ebay. They were in mint condition when I got them, bought them off some major audiophile who had a serious audio setup in his house, that he kept in pristine condition. They were in such good condition he could've easily passed them off as brand new pair and sold them at a higher price. I've abused the hell out of them and still not had a problem with them, really happy with the purchase and saved myself a some dorrah bills while I was at it.

My first GTX 660 i bought off my friend (F1 will be his name) for £110. He then bought my other friends (F2 will be his name) old GTX 670 off him for £140. F2 then bought a GTX 770. So one big massive card swap. 

I then bought a second GTX 660 off eBay for £94. 

This setup will stick for some time until Nvidia actually releases something worth buying. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

• 4 weeks later...

I bought most of the components for my rig now, used and they all still work. Yay!

I bought the parts mostly from ebay, quite cheap, great condition and are currently still working since i bought them two years ago.

My Rig:

PS4

Yes. I got an AOC 19" 1440 by 900 monitor for $5, a Kogan TV for some Cat 5 cable and about $70 or so for a power brick. I also spent $5 on a HP display, but I didn't think to take a look at if it used IEC or a power brick. It used a power brick, so I can't use it full time at the moment, and I'm not gonna get one for it.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Bought a used stick of DDR3 1066MHz 4GB Kingston SODIMM... no probs as of yet...

Bought a whole PC used, saved about 400 with it, didn't last too long without problems. I can't tell if its because it was used or not, computer hardware can always fail. 

i3 and a GTX 660. 660

The Samsung SSD also overheats even though I put a fan right on it. idk 

I buy GPUs that are used, they've nearly always only been used for a month or two and in pristine condition it just generally saves a lot of money and effort to buy them second hand

Not brought but i get hand me down parts from my family when they upgrade depending on who needs it more, dad/myself/little bro who all own PC's and not laptops. 

My dad brought the 5800 in 2009 and guess what is still going? haha it was even out of a working PC for 2 years and still. My case is ancient and am trying to find a way to replace it because its just too old to work with the new mobo that is inside it. But yeah i believe it can work with the right conditions and hey, less stuff to the landful!

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

My first computer was used by the company my grandmother works for, it was sold to my dad during a big upgrade.

And does refurbished count? I bought a refurbished eMachine from TigerDirect a few years back. Worked great until two days after I sold it. The PSU exploded. Fortunately they didn't ask for a refund.

I generally avoid used/refurbished and open box items, though cases can be used and I'd consider open box for a few things.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

My old 2.8GHz Northwood P4, X1650 Pro, and P4V8X-X were all lightly used when I bought them on eBay.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Used to buy used hardware all the time. If you're a savvy buyer/seller it can be an awesome way to save a few bucks.

What (If any) parts shouldn't you buy refurbished?

Because he had a hard drive.

i will never buy used components. unless its from a friend and i know the exact condition of it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Nope. When I built my system, everything was bought new from Newegg/Amazon. I thought about trying out buying used PC stuff online before (Ebay...), but that seems kind of sketchy to me. There probably are a lot of good deals on used, solid hardware online, but buying parts used just seems too risky for me.

Online or via friends, leave Your post.. also tell us  how much it cost you & how long it lasted & it's condition..

From eBay, I bought a used Intel i5 750 s.   It was $165 about two years ago.  

I continued to use it until the motherboard was upgraded (for reasons unrelated to the processor which I was more than pleased with) to one with a different socket.  

About a month ago, I sold the 750 s, the MSI motherboard, 4GB of 10600 ram (also incompatible with new motherboard), and the stock cooler from the replacement i5.    Craigslist.  $160.