TDK is promising 15TB drives next year

WereCat

Japan company TDK presented on technological event Ceatec in Japan their new heads for drives with HAMR technology which should allow to create 3.5" HDDs witch 15TB capacity between year 2015-2016.

Technology HAMR (Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording) is a technology that magnetically records data on high-stability media using laser thermal assistance to first heat the material. HAMR takes advantage of high-stability magnetic compounds such as iron platinum alloy. These materials can store single bits in a much smaller area without being limited by the same superparamagnetic effect that limits the current technology used in hard disk storage. This is achieved by heating the materials before applying the changes in magnetic orientation.

SOURCE: http://dsl.sk/article.php?article=16175

YAY! 15TB drives ... and I am still unable to fill my 2TB one. I hope that we will get SSDs with this capacity shortly after too.

I'm not sure if I've heard about this before, or it was a 10TB..

Cry Me A River B)

Well, that's my p0rn collection sorted for the next decade.

Damn, 15tb is massive, I don't think I could actually fill that even if I tried. If they carry on developing these, then all the better, as it means we may feel the benefits lower down the chain in larger storage drives becoming slightly cheaper.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I'm not sure if I've heard about this before, or it was a 10TB..

It was 10TB.

Well, that's my p0rn collection sorted for the next decade.

Damn, 15tb is massive, I don't think I could actually fill that even if I tried. If they carry on developing these, then all the better, as it means we may feel the benefits lower down the chain in larger storage drives becoming slightly cheaper.

Imagine if you need to run defragmentation on that thing .. :D

Want!

Are there any negatives to having such large capacities on a single disk?

I imagine performance may suffer since the HDD literally has to dig in deeper to find information due to how densely packed it is. I could be totally wrong though.

To many TB man. No one can fill up 15TB (or 10TB).

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

To many TB man. No one can fill up 15TB (or 10TB).

i have filled 10TB in my rig and loony has way more than 10

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Looney  is nuts :P. Also I can quite easily fill my 4Tb in drives and then I have the rest of my network. If I'd have a higher DL speed I could easily fill 10TB+. Again I'd like to know the read/write speeds on these stupid capacity drives. And I'd love to see 4Tb drives become cheaper because of this. Might pick a few up for my servers then.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

With what, your biggest "private" film collections?

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

I was putting 3TB reds in my server then stopped so I could switch to 4 but never got around to it because 6TB drives got released.  I guess I will have to wait alittle longer for the 10TB versions of Reds.....

I'm pretty sure these drives, if they actually pull it off, will cost a-lot of money. I'm guessing these will be enterprise / company orientend. So don't get your hopes up for 15 TB Drives for 100 bucks.

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

I imagine performance may suffer since the HDD literally has to dig in deeper to find information due to how densely packed it is. I could be totally wrong though.

From what I'm aware of its actually the opposite effect, as density increases, so does transfer speeds. The arm reader assembly thing (yep :P) scans more data per rotation of the disk so its able to read/write faster. Think that is why HDD performance has slowly increased over the years because of just greater densities. But again I could be wrong too :P

Yes.

Right now, bit error rates for non-enterhave an upper bound of 1 per 12.5TB of data read. Meaning that if you tried to read a full drive, you would start to have serious concerns about either getting corrupted data or outright failing to read some file from the disk. This won't be as much of an issue with enterprise drives with TLER running in a redundant configuration.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Data loss being massive makes porting a backup to a new 15TB drive take forever. Spinning rust needs to up and die for everyone but datacenter people.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yes.

Right now, bit error rates for non-enterhave an upper bound of 1 per 12.5TB of data read. Meaning that if you tried to read a full drive, you would start to have serious concerns about either getting corrupted data or outright failing to read some file from the disk. This won't be as much of an issue with enterprise drives with TLER running in a redundant configuration.

That's funny given Google doesn't even use enterprise equipment in its data centers (Quoting Doctor Keith Frikken, former Miami University professor and current DBA at Google).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm pretty sure these drives, if they actually pull it off, will cost a-lot of money. I'm guessing these will be enterprise / company orientend. So don't get your hopes up for 15 TB Drives for 100 bucks.

No, but other drives will start to go down in price.

Damn, 15tb is massive, I don't think I could actually fill that even if I tried. 

It seems like a lot but a few years down the line we will be asking ourselves how we lived using single digit TB drives.

I could easily. Movie collection consisting of Blu-Ray and DVD's, then music collection, then anime, then TV shows, etc.

I'm breaking at 8TB already, need more drives!

I could easily. Movie collection consisting of Blu-Ray and DVD's, then music collection, then anime, then TV shows, etc.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Because he had a hard drive.

Same here. I have about half of that and started to redo my server as it continues to grow. Doing the math for $ per TB make 3TB reds look real good but now plans have changed to 11 6TB reds in a Raid 6. It makes since for the size of my case and they are cheaper then 4TB Red Pros at the same capacity. It's still 3200 dollars in HDDs tho.....

Same here, I'm close to 7TB right now on my 12TB NAS, and I am about to push it well beyond 8TB (about to open and rip the entire Sopranos Blu-Ray boxset)