More Details about 'The Evil Within', locked to 30 fps?

Scionyde

So a couple weeks ago, we heard about the recommended requirements for the game, saying that you'd need 4 GB VRAM and an i7. Apparently, those hefty requirements are so you can play the game at a whopping 30 fps!

“Shinji Mikami and the team at Tango designed The Evil Within to be played at 30fps and to utilize an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for all platforms,” the announcement read. “The team has worked the last four years perfecting the game experience with these settings in mind. For PC players, we’ll provide debug commands on how you can alter the framerate and aspect ratio, but these commands and changes are not recommended or supported and we suggest everyone play the game as it was designed and intended for the best experience.”

I suppose it's nice that they're providing players with the steps to unlock the framerate...but if doing so didn't create any problems, then why not unlock it by default for the PC version? I can't help but wonder if unlocking the framerate/aspect ratio creates some serious issues in the game.

The more I hear about the game, the more I feel like it's going to be a mediocre PC port...

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-evil-within-locked-at-30fps-but-you-can-change-it-manually/

Because they are catering to the consoles that's why.

*cries*

*runs away*

*crashes into random pole while running*

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

to be fair, a game with atmosphere like this as opposed to action sequences and twitch reflex shooters will likely not need more than 30fps to play decently.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

to be fair, a game with atmosphere like this as opposed to action sequences and twitch reflex shooters will likely not need more than 30fps to play decently.

Alien: Isolation begs to differ?

Case: Corsair 500R (BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green) -  CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2 -  Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming -  GPUs: Asus Strix GTX 970  -  RAM: Kingston Black - 8GB 2133 -  PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750G 750W -  Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3  -  HDDs: OCZ Vector 150 120GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Green 500GB -  Monitor: Acer B246HYL ymdpr 23.8 IPS  -  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical -  Audio: Sennheiser HD 600 - Magni 2/ Modi 2

At this point I am convinced publishers are just getting paid to post enormous requirements that always end up being BS anyways. They are putting I7 in requirements ,when that is complete horse crap unless it is a 2008 Nehalem. I notice no difference in these games with hyperthreading on or off on my 4770k.

They are posting VRAM requirements that aren't seen until 4 k resolution...and appear to be high even at that resolution on all but one title that has a texture pack from dev computers that consoles will never see anyways.

Want to know what you need an I7 for? Streaming an MMO on twitch with high settings. That is about it lol.  So if you are an aspiring Sodapoppin, by all means get an I7. The PS4 has used like 2.5 gigs of ram at the highest for textures. That is about all they can pull out that thing. Aim for a 3GB and up card to blow away the PS4 and you are set. Don't worry about 4 GB VRAM until you are at higher resolutions than a console, in which case the recommendation is BS unless they are specifying that resolution.

3 GB VRAM is like a worst case scenario for a port that didn't get PC optimization to...

4 is either complete BS or sabotage lol.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Wana guess what I'm not buying?

Unlock the frame rate and give proper pc support and I might pick it up on sale. My pc is superior to the consoles in every single way (cost does not effect superiority) I should be able to play this game at any frame rate I so choose not what they choose for me. I see a healthy future for this game on piratebay.

my rig intel 3570k| r9-290 tri-x oc| gigabyte z77ud-3h | 8gb gskill ripjaws | noctua nh-d14| corsair 760i psu | carbide 500r case | HP ZR2740w monitor 2560x1440 | asus vk278Q monitor 1920x1080 | logitech g700s mouse | logitech g510 keyboard |

Wana guess what I'm not buying?

Unlock the frame rate and give proper pc support and I might pick it up on sale. My pc is superior to the consoles in every single way (cost does not effect superiority) I should be able to play this game at any frame rate I so choose not what they choose for me. I see a healthy future for this game on piratebay.

Always an option. Alien Isolation is running double the FPS of consoles on OLD gpu's. There is simply no excuse for this crap anymore, especially with the consoles being x86.

Alien Isolation runs at 30 with DROPS on these turds per Eurogamer. Ubisoft is a dev I simply refuse to buy games from anymore. Not because my system can't run their crappy ports fine, but because they are making my PC brothers suffer on hardware that should run the game fine. It is the principle of the damn thing. 

Far Cry and Unity are from Ubisoft Kiev who did AC 4...I expect ports of the same quality as that game. Utter dog@$^# with a side of Uplay thrown in to make us bang our heads on the desk even more. Bethesda? If this port turns out to be this bad? Shame on them. They have made a killing off PC sales, and outright FIXED vanilla, release games that were not near as good before the modders got a hold of them.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

devs, build for pc then port to console, you'll fine it easier as you just have to rip out features rather then try to add them after you've done most of the work.

Alien: Isolation begs to differ?

haven't played it.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

No. There is no excuse for why they can't just simply give PC gamers 60fps+ if we want it. It's far less "atmospheric" chopping and stuttering along at 30fps.

All these games being released with "locked frame rates" is getting ridiculous.  <_<

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Welcome back to 2000. They probably coded the engine like Dead Rising 3 or NFS Rivals, locked to update/frame not update/second.

I heard they're atleast offering to allow PC users to disable the letterboxing, so people with 21:9 monitors have the whole screen filled.

Although it's disgusting that it's being limited to 30fps. At least Wolfenstein had the decency to be locked at 60fps without compromising it's great FPS mechanics and gunplay.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

It looked to be a shit game anyway, so I don't personally care.

Though it's unfortunate to keep hearing of instances where games are being held back due to hardware, even if PC hardware is limiting, why don't they just give the option and that way, in the future when things are more powerful we can go back and play it all to the fullest potential?

It's probably the biggest thing I hate about consoles, is that it locks everything down for almost a decade in regards to technological hardware advances in the gaming world, which isn't much of a good idea considering that at the time the consoles came out PC was way ahead already.

Even in just a year, PC will be jamming it's hard throbbing cock into the consoles throat so hard the tip will be hitting the stomach, and we'll be stuck with everything being developed for consoles and not utilizing the full potential of PCs until consoles reiterate themselves several years down the track.

Fucking consoles...

At this point I am convinced publishers are just getting paid to post enormous requirements that always end up being BS anyways. They are putting I7 in requirements ,when that is complete horse crap unless it is a 2008 Nehalem. I notice no difference in these games with hyperthreading on or off on my 4770k.

They are posting VRAM requirements that aren't seen until 4 k resolution...and appear to be high even at that resolution on all but one title that has a texture pack from dev computers that consoles will never see anyways.

Want to know what you need an I7 for? Streaming an MMO on twitch with high settings. That is about it lol.  So if you are an aspiring Sodapoppin, by all means get an I7. The PS4 has used like 2.5 gigs of ram at the highest for textures. That is about all they can pull out that thing. Aim for a 3GB and up card to blow away the PS4 and you are set. Don't worry about 4 GB VRAM until you are at higher resolutions than a console, in which case the recommendation is BS unless they are specifying that resolution.

3 GB VRAM is like a worst case scenario for a port that didn't get PC optimization to...

4 is either complete BS or sabotage lol.

Well, to be fair, everyone was calling BS on Shadow of Mordor using 6GB vRAM at 1080p, but it genuinely does. It doesn't require it, but with it, it runs butter smooth with the GPU sitting at 50% load. 

Such horseshit.

People shouldn't be happy that they are being kind enough to allow us to modify a .ini file to get a more widely supported resolution.

Devs are only happy, or are only being allowed by publishers, to stabilise a game at 30fps on next gen consoles, no matter what.  Everything else can come later... if at all...

Look at a dev like Capcom, massive teams with massive budgets.  Yet Dead Rising 3 still doesn't officially support altered resolutions or framerates over 30fps.  That and the game has only received two patches thusfar, the first to allow nVidia Optimus supported laptops to launch the game, and the second patch to stop the game crashing within minutes on nVidia cards.  They say a driver should be incoming "soon" with a patch that should help optimise performance, but I am skeptical at best.  The game barely renders above 720p scaling on Medium and no SLI support...

I'm pretty fucked off at these developers gimping titles, or just not developing well optimised titles, then telling us that it's our machines that don't have the power... We spend multiple factors more on our equipment than console games yet you see fit for us to have the same experience as them?

Just because the two "next-gen" consoles are entirely underwhelming in their power, sales and supported software they feel it necessary to artificially gimp PC experience.  I don't include the Wii U in this because at least it can play games in 1080p at 60fps.

Sif Devs are not reading about other games with THESE issues and others and the outcry that happens when upon release...it's tripe that goes against everything you were told to, or know to expect.

I mean.. WTF

NFS - Rivals 30fps, 'one of' the first big outcries of recent times... this whole 'locking the FPS' to the Physics world around us...

Why?

You know we as a PC platform are capable of so much more, or do they?

Just so infuriating to have really nice gear ahead of its time...and not be able to use it on so called 'next generation' engines.

Then..... having even more power than the 1980 collective of Computer power inside my Modern desktop, can I not run something the same (or better as expected) as something of lesser power and with lesser throughput of this power.

Here's hoping the 'next generation' of Devs are some of us 'legitimate PC users'

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

30 FPS might not be too bad. It depends on the game. CS:GO needs way more than 100 FPS to run good, some need 60, and some need 30.

No game needs only 30fps. Sure, there are many games that do only run at 30fps (like many console titles), but that doesn't mean those games wouldn't be much better at 60fps and present a much better/smoother player experience. What every game does need is the OPTION to run it however the user wants it to run on PC. There is no reason to put a limit on it, not any modern titles/new games being released in this day and age. 

The standard with today's hardware should be 1080p at 60fps. I don't care if consoles have limited hardware, lock those versions down if need be, but leave the PC version alone and unlocked! 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The letterboxing sounds like an interesting idea. Though I can imagine it really annoying some people.

Because they are catering to the consoles that's why.

Precisely.

And that's ok really. Let me tell you what: You* are free to lock shit up at 30FPS if you want and all. Go ahead, treat the PC port as an afterthought. That's fine, only I'll do the same fucking thing: No preorders, no DLC, fuck I'll not even buy your stupid fucking game until it's like 75% off 1 or 2 years from now and that's if I already got everything else I wanted to get.

This is what everyone should be doing.

*Not you, the devs

EDIT: Oh shit I didn't realize this is being published by Bethesda. Hopefully this game fucking bombs spectacularly enough that they get over this stupid fucking notion of 30 FPS otherwise Skyrim might very well be the last Elder Scrolls game worth playing

-------

Current Rig

-------

But it's for the cinematic feel. Jeez.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Precisely.

And that's ok really. Let me tell you what: You* are free to lock shit up at 30FPS if you want and all. Go ahead, treat the PC port as an afterthought. That's fine, only I'll do the same fucking thing: No preorders, no DLC, fuck I'll not even buy your stupid fucking game until it's like 75% off 1 or 2 years from now and that's if I already got everything else I wanted to get.

This is what everyone should be doing.

*Not you, the devs

EDIT: Oh shit I didn't realize this is being published by Bethesda. Hopefully this game fucking bombs spectacularly enough that they get over this stupid fucking notion of 30 FPS otherwise Skyrim might very well be the last Elder Scrolls game worth playing

Yea i won't even be purchasing the game until it goes on and extreme sale aswell, also it's published by Bethesda not made by them.

But Bethesda is already a shitty developer, skyrim was a terrible port, and oblivion was the last elder scrolls worth playing.

Don't worry, they'd have to do actual work in order to impose a locked frame rate in the next ES, and we all know they don't do that

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R