Samsung Android devices facing potential sales ban in U.S. because of Nvidia

qwertywarrior

ITC should just go ahead and ban every single phone and intel/amd APUs in existence because they  have an onboard GPU not made by nvidia ..............

https://news.yahoo.com/galaxy-note-4-other-samsung-android-devices-facing-234540542.html

NVIDIA on Monday announced that the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) has voted to investigate whether certain Samsung devices, targeted in a recent NVIDIA suit against the South Korean giant and Qualcomm, should be banned from sales in the U.S. or not.

NVIDIA alleges that Samsung’s own Exynos processors, and various Qualcomm CPUs including the Snapdragon S4, 400, 600, 800, 801 and 805, are in violation of certain GPU patents.

as you can see Nvidia is targeting specific companies because of how much a failure they are in the mobile business

i really doubt this is going anywhere

here is what ARM CEO Simon Segars

(note:Samsung uses Mali GPUs too which is from ARM them selves so basically Nvidia is inadvertently suing ARM too lol........)

"We stand behind our IP. To the extent that we need to, we absolutely work with our partners when something like this happens," Segars told Reuters in an interview on Monday.

Rev6%20chart.png

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Funny how you make it sound like your conclusion is the way to go for anything related to suing.  They can sue anyone they want, but if they are suing on no basis, they are gonna lose anyway so there's no point.  Nvidia DOES own a shit ton of GPU-related tech.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

So, does this have any real chance of succeeding? That will be the important decider here.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Well this is freaking stupid...Do they seriously expect to win this lawsuit?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

What the fuck...

Okay Nvidia, go sue all the smartphone manufacturers in the damn world.

You should sue Apple too because they use PowerVR GPUs also!

I'm boycotting Nvidia.

Fuck this.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

What the fuck...

Okay Nvidia, go sue all the smartphone manufacturers in the damn world.

You should sue Apple too because they use PowerVR GPUs also!

I'm boycotting Nvidia.

Fuck this.

Lol.

Funny how you make it sound like your conclusion is the way to go for anything related to suing.  They can sue anyone they want, but if they are suing on no basis, they are gonna lose anyway so there's no point.  Nvidia DOES own a shit ton of GPU-related tech.

it took them all these years to just now attack right ?

the patents they are using to attack with are over 10 years old

technically any 3D capable hardware for the past 10years or so years is infringing

if they win this they will sue every other company that uses a GPU

if it was about "their patents "

they should have done this many MANY years ago

i mean they could even sue AMD because it infringes on their Unified shaders

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I see no problem with this. If Nvidia patents are good and samsung has infringed on them they have every right to sue. If the patents aren't good then I think they get void or something like that right? In any case this will be good to see if Nvidia patents can hold up in courts.

So anything using Krait, Mali or PowerVR is violating Nvidia's patent. That's either one of the most powerful patents in the world, or bullshit.

The scary thing about this patent lawsuit is that it's not just about Samsung. If they manage to get a sales ban on Samsung devices then they will also be able to get a sales ban on all devices not using Tegra. That includes all current gen HTC devices, all Sony devices, all LG devices, all Samsung devices and all Apple devices.

That's insane. Nobody should take Nvidia's side on this issue.

It seems like Nvidia is really butthurt about how big of a failure the Tegra 4 and K1 have been. Can't make good products? Sue everyone else that does.

it took them all these years to just now attack right ?

the patents they are using to attack with are over 10 years old

technically any 3D capable hardware for the past 10years or so years is infringing

if they win this they will sue every other company that uses a GPU

if it was about "their patents "

they should have done this many MANY years ago

i mean they could even sue AMD because it infringes on their Unified shaders

It's their patents, they can do whatever they want with it.  Let the courts decide.  Passing judgment just cos suddenly patent trolls are a thing and suddenly all suing is trolling?  Lol.

- snip -

It pretty much appears to be this way.

I see no way in which they can come out of this well. I'm doubtful that they will win

these lawsuits as they're obviously preposterous, and it's going to be a bit of a PR

problem too. I have no doubt that many people out there will have already lost

respect for the company for trying to do something like this...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

For fucks sake Nvidia, this is why I don't like you at all, expensive here, shit CEO and now this, thank god I use LG, but then again I live in a country that stuff doesn't get banned easily, except gum

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

So, if nVidia wins, who's left to sell phones?

If the patents indeed cover PowerVR, Krait, and Mali, as @LAwLz said, won't most of the competition be barred from selling in the US market? Also, is this practice not anticompetitive?

So, if nVidia wins, who's left to sell phones?

If the patents indeed cover PowerVR, Krait, and Mali, as @LAwLz said, won't most of the competition be barred from selling in the US market? Also, is this practice not anticompetitive?

Apple. Which means, that this was Nvidia's plan to make the market super expensive, like Apple for expensive phones and Nvidia for expensive GPUs

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

So is this bullshit or are these patents so powerful?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Apple. Which means, that this was Nvidia's plan to make the market super expensive, like Apple for expensive phones and Nvidia for expensive GPUs

What GPU does Apple use?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

ITC should just go ahead and ban every single phone and intel/amd APUs in existence because they  have an onboard GPU not made by nvidia ..............

https://news.yahoo.com/galaxy-note-4-other-samsung-android-devices-facing-234540542.html

as you can see Nvidia is targeting specific companies because of how much a failure they are in the mobile business

i really doubt this is going anywhere

here is what ARM CEO Simon Segars

(note:Samsung uses Mali GPUs too which is from ARM them selves so basically Nvidia is inadvertently suing ARM too lol........)

Rev6%20chart.png

Don't be an idiot. Nvidia are suing because they recognized that Samsung and Qualcomms GPUs were using proprietary Nvidia techniques.

Nvidia have never gone to court like this before. They don't do this kind of stuff on the regular. They're not doing it for fun.

If AMD were suing Nvidia for stealing one of their technologies I'm sure you'd be all for it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Don't be an idiot. Nvidia are suing because they recognized that Samsung and Qualcomms GPUs were using proprietary Nvidia techniques.

Nvidia have never gone to court like this before. They don't do this kind of stuff on the regular. They're not doing it for fun.

If AMD were suing Nvidia for stealing one of their technologies I'm sure you'd be all for it

NVIDIA claims at least seven of its patents are being stepped on, covering such concepts as:

if they were going after "techniques"

why didnt they sue ARM instead of samsung

its clear what nvidia's intentions are

v40g6.gif

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

If you can't beat 'em, ban 'em.

Seriously though, I hope they lose. Qualcomm SoCs being banned in the US would basically be the end of everything that's not Apple. I'm boycotting Nvidia. I was gonna switch to them next year AND get the Tegra Note, but now I don't care what they make.

If AMD were suing Nvidia for stealing one of their technologies I'm sure you'd be all for it

NVIDIA claims at least seven of its patents are being stepped on, covering such concepts as:

Yet AMD/ATI have been making GPUs for many years without law suit from Nvidia, as have Intel.

The patents Nvidia hold are either specific to their way of making a GPU, or are open and the rights to can be bought for fair price. If Samsung didn't pay and used it without warrant, then they are rightly being sued. You can just make a phone without paying Google for Motorola's patents.

Multi-threaded processing likely specifies the way CUDA runs, as otherwise Open CL wouldn't be a thing.

If Nvidia hold the claim to one way of designing a GPU, then they have the right to hold that claim. AMD and Intel have different ways. If Samsung and Qualcomm are copying Nvidia's way then nvidia have the right to sue.

EDIT: And again, they've never gone to court before. They'ed likely have an easier time suing AMD/ATI rather than the whole of the mobile market and Samsung, which must mean they have a legitimate claim. They're not Apple who sues everyone and everything.

EDIT 2: Before you mention Larrabe, Nvidia were ready to sue for that, but never sued for Intel's follow up. If Larrabe copied Nvidia technologies I can understand why.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

What GPU does Apple use?

Hopefully they use Nvidia so they get banned too

Computer Specifications:

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Lenses:

So, should I buy a phone ASAP before iPhones are the only thing left? >_>

Man, I fall asleep for a couple hours and this happens?

Jesus Nvidia, keep it together. I just wish we could go back in time where everyone had some sort of leeway in sharing ideas and technology to better their products so everyone wins...

So anything using Krait, Mali or PowerVR is violating Nvidia's patent. That's either one of the most powerful patents in the world, or bullshit.

The scary thing about this patent lawsuit is that it's not just about Samsung. If they manage to get a sales ban on Samsung devices then they will also be able to get a sales ban on all devices not using Tegra. That includes all current gen HTC devices, all Sony devices, all LG devices, all Samsung devices and all Apple devices.

That's insane. Nobody should take Nvidia's side on this issue.

It seems like Nvidia is really butthurt about how big of a failure the Tegra 4 and K1 have been. Can't make good products? Sue everyone else that does.

I agree that the products haven't gained track as much as they wanted to, but I've heard good things about the K1 from most, why do you say they aren't good products? I mean unsuccessful sure but that doesn't means they aren't good i.e. Sega and their late Dreamcast.  

-------

Current Rig

-------