Why does 60 FPS video look so strange to people who aren't used to watching it?

VG Docs

I've seen 60 FPS video of games, and at first it looked strange - even though I'm very used to 60+ FPS gaming (which tends to come with PC gaming :P). Also, everyone I've shown 60 FPS game videos to (Through Twitch and the very few 60 FPS videos out there on Youtube) have had a similar experience where it just looks "weird" instead of "smooth" like you would say with gaming. You'd think if you played (for example) Titanfall at a consistent 60+ FPS, then immediately watched a 60 FPS video of Titanfall, you'd visually see pretty much no difference. Yet, what I'm referring to is when someone does this and sees that the 60 FPS video looks strange in some way. 

Is this because people simply aren't used to 60 FPS videos at all? 

Is it because of differences with the video itself (affecting the video in some other way indirectly, whenever it's running at 60 fps)?

Am I just an anomaly and most people and their communities don't actually experience this?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

I can barely tell a difference between 30 and 60FPS, since I'm used to a 30Hz monitor

"Rawr XD"

The high frame rate is overwhelming for console gamers. That's why.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Thats because twitch and youtube compress the videos, making it look a bit like motion blur, which you would not see while playing the game.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thats because twitch and youtube compress the videos, making it look a bit like motion blur, which you would not see while playing the game.

Oh, really? So would it still look strange if you were to record the video at a crazy high quality and play it back in the OS with a video player? I've never actually tried that considering I mostly upload to Youtube, and they still haven't fully supported 60 FPS videos ... Does anyone know anything about that yet? They showed like, very few videos to show 60 FPS on Youtube back in the summer, and I haven't heard anything about full support since. O:

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Probably just the basic principle of seeing something you've never seen before.

Oh, really? So would it still look strange if you were to record the video at a crazy high quality and play it back in the OS with a video player? I've never actually tried that considering I mostly upload to Youtube, and they still haven't fully supported 60 FPS videos ... Does anyone know anything about that yet? They showed like, very few videos to show 60 FPS on Youtube back in the summer, and I haven't heard anything about full support since. O:

I have recorded videos at full quality and played it back in the OS. It looks exactly like I was playing the game.

After uploading it to youtube, it looks different.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You use a 30hz monitor that's hilarious it's 2014 what cave are you living in.

4K TV

"Rawr XD"

4K TV

Why not save up for a 4k tv with a higher refresh rate instead? I had no idea they even sold 30 Hz 4k TVs.

makes sense. My monitor is 60Hz so when I see 120 fps on a 120Hz monitor it looks insanely good, also when I have to lock things to 30 Hz it looks gross. It all has to do with what you're used to.

Git Gud.

Why not save up for a 4k tv with a higher refresh rate instead? I had no idea they even sold 30 Hz 4k TVs.

My dad bought it for me, I didn't have a say in it, but hey, it's better then no TV.

It's the 39" Seiki

"Rawr XD"

makes sense. My monitor is 60Hz so when I see 120 fps on a 120Hz monitor it looks insanely good, also when I have to lock things to 30 Hz it looks gross. It all has to do with what you're used to.

Pretty much everyone here is used to 60 FPS & 60 Hz. My uncle was the only different one, with a 240 Hz TV

you disgust me

Calm your tits

My dad bought it for me, I didn't have a say in it, but hey, it's better then no TV.

"Rawr XD"

I can barely tell a difference between 30 and 60FPS, since I'm used to a 30Hz monitor

30 fps looks choppy as fuck to me.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

30 fps looks choppy as fuck to me.

I used to be totally fine with playing games at 20-30 FPS until I got this 6950 and was able to truly experience 60+ FPS. Now, I'll turn down settings if I'm lower than 50.

Pretty much everyone here is used to 60 FPS & 60 Hz. My uncle was the only different one, with a 240 Hz TV

240Hz TV is just frame interpolation. It's not real 240Hz

"Rawr XD"

240Hz TV is just frame interpolation. It's not real 240Hz

Maybe, but frame interpolation on my 60 Hz TV makes it look 60 FPS (At least with the video player and codec I use).

I've been playing 60 FPS games for years, and I still am with my 980 getting constant 60 FPS in all games.

However, whenever I go and look at one of the 60 FPS Gifs on say, the PCMR subreddit or something, or one of the very few 60 FPS youtube videos...

I looks, weird to me.  It looks way smoother than I perceive games.  I've taken multiple tests online where you have to select the 60 FPS video compared to a 30 FPS one in a side by side comparison, and get 10/10 every single time.  

Idk.  Maybe it's something to do with frame timings on a webpage compared to frames generated in real time in a game engine or something.  No idea.  All I know is it still looks weird to me.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset

No idea I've never experienced this phenomenon.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Depends on how much 48-60fps+ content you come across in your daily wouldn't it..

Doesn't look that weird to me, watching many Titanfall 60fps streams.

Most PC enthusiasts will be used to 60fps display fluidity and when seeing 60fps video footage it can look mostly normal..

(Unless going from a few minutes of 30fps video to a 60fps video straight away, or your never seeing 60fps in gaming all the time, are used to 30fps, and then see 60fps footage)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz