Mechanical Keyboards users, what do you think about rubber dome?

Most gamers prefer mechanical keyboards in comparison to rubber dome. I just wanted to know what people thought about rubber dome keyboards? Do you think they are inferior to mechanical switches? Or will in not make a huge difference when gaming most of the time? This is really ironic as I am typing on a rubber dome keyboard... 

It's fine, there are decent dome boards and mechanical keyboard snobs drastically overstate how horrible domes are.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Once I switched to mechanical, going back to rubber domes is a real pain in the ass.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I switched about half a year ago to a mechanical keyboard and when I'm at the university library I find my typing speed and accuracy is far worse (on their rubber dome keyboards) than it is at home on my own.

It's an upgrade for sure, but it's not essential to have one for a good gaming experience.

I used to use a membrane keyboard. Then I bought a K95. After not using a membrane (proper name for 'rubber dome') for 2 months during the cummer I had to go back to school and use them again.

It was horrid. I had to mash the keys all the way down for them to register a keypress, and I couldnt just fly over the keyboard like I do on my K95.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I prefer the semi-mechanical/scissor-switch ones... I found MX Blues to have too much of a travel before bottoming out... I like my keys shallow...

Just switched to mech. Went from g510 to g710+.Which uses brown switches and rubber o-rings. The typing experience is much smoother. Rubber dome gives a really mush feeling where cherry mx switches feel very springy I think is the word.lol. I may get the k70 to try it out with red switches. I'm still debating cause the browns already feel so much better over rubber dome.

Well, going from membrane to mechanical wasn't much of a change for me, but going back to membrane feels very weird. I fine it very annoying to type on membrane keyboards as I find I constantly make mistakes and have to keep correcting things. They also feel too soft and mushy now that I've gotten used to mechanical. 

After getting used to mechanical keyboards (Cherry MX red, blue & brown), it's quite hard to use a membrane keyboard afterwards. You've trained yourself not to bottom out the keycap and suddenly you need to bottom out 100% of the time for the key press even to register. Scissor switch keyboards are fine (at least most of them) since the travel distance is so low and bottoming out isn't that harsh.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

I will never go back to using a "rubber dome" keyboard again, as much as I can help it; they're way too mushy in comparison. 

Even MX Browns feel mushy to me now that I use MX Blues.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just switched to mech. Went from g510 to g710+.Which uses brown switches and rubber o-rings. The typing experience is much smoother. Rubber dome gives a really mush feeling where cherry mx switches feel very springy I think is the word.lol. I may get the k70 to try it out with red switches. I'm still debating cause the browns already feel so much better over rubber dome.

I did the same switch just over a month ago and I have the exact same thoughts. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Rubber domes make me cry.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Going from membrane to mechanical, I really didn't feel that much of a difference. But now that I'm used to mechanical, I just simply cannot type on a membrane again 

Topres are a whole different story though

Mechanical keyboards have been around for ages. However, due to production costs, IBM stopped producing them around 89-1994. Mechanical keyboards didn't become mainstream again until 2009 or so. Besides feel, mechanical keyboards aren't going to increase your kill/death ratio; and they most certainly aren't going to make you a better gamer.

Gamers were fine before they became mainstream again.

Rubber dome keyboards are very quiet. I know quite a few people that prefer membrane keyboards because of this.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8