So,we are screwed?

Mitico

Over 100 peoples in quarantine for ebola,1 in hawaii and another one in D.C and like 400 more (from the plane)... What's your opinion about this? How this will end?

It's most likely a media scare tactic. Would not surprise me if they come rushing out with a ... "Vaccine" that makes the Big Pharma Corporations a few more Trillion dollars in record time.

Hm, I'm not so sure. Ebola has low transmission rates and high mortality - that isn't pandemic material. For a pandemic you want the opposite - high transmission and low mortality, so it gets round as many people as possible. Ebola has a tendency to kill off its hosts faster than it can infect new ones in less developed countries, and in more developed countries with adequate medical care, 80% of people can survive it.

Some of the numbers ran on Ebola suggest currently that R=2 as a transmission factor if you understand the science of pandemics.

It's most likely a media scare tactic. Would not surprise me if they come rushing out with a ... "Vaccine" that makes the Big Pharma Corporations a few more Trillion dollars in record time.

Oh yeah, because everyone would just HATE a vaccine to this disease that's killing thousands of people...not that anyone should have to pay for it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

1412110769648.gif

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Some of the numbers ran on Ebola suggest currently that R=2 as a transmission factor if you understand the science of pandemics.

Exactly, which is about the same as HIV, which falls between R=2 and R=5 depending on population. Ebola varies between 1 and 4. The comparison really is valid between HIV and Ebola since the means of transmission are much the same - HIV is not endemic or epidemic in the USA, and nor is Ebola likely be be. All a rating of >1  means is that a disease can theoretically spread in a population assuming there is no intervention. This is why Ebola has spread so well in Africa, because intervention has been insufficient.

Oh yeah, because everyone would just HATE a vaccine to this disease that's killing thousands of people...not that anyone should have to pay for it.

The world is messed up. War profiteering and making money off of the ill are just symptoms of a faulty mode of operation.

All a rating of >1  means is that a disease can theoretically spread in a population assuming there is no intervention. This is why Ebola has spread so well in Africa, because intervention has been insufficient.

If we had given everyone in Africa ZMapp or TKM-Ebola we might not even be worrying about it at this point. But no, those billions are better spent destroying lives, not saving them.

I understand what transmission factors are. I dabble a lot in synthetic biology and virology.

The world is messed up. War profiteering and making money off of the ill are just symptoms of a faulty mode of operation.

I think I may have found a political equal on LTT finally.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I think I may have found a political equal on LTT finally.

Well if anything I would consider myself anti political. Politics absolutely do not solve world issues they create them. What solves world problems is ... "the scientific method" and proper education of the people.

Ebola is in my city of Dallas. Members who are brushing this off are rude assholes deserving of a block.

While the chances of catching it is rare, the fact still remains this was easily avoidable had travel bans be put into place. If you want to help out to wipe out the disease, take a personal plane. Don't risk innocents through commercial flight. That's just idiotic.

I highly doubt the same man that refuses to put a ban on travel via his administration would step foot within those same regions.

What solves world problems is ... "the scientific method" and proper education of the people.

Well said. I could have written that myself!

Ebola is in my city of Dallas. Members who are brushing this off are rude assholes deserving of a block.

If you're genuinely worried about it then I don't know what to say. I'm in Rhode Island and a journalist from here just died from it so far be it from me to not understand what it's like.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh no! The world is about to end. QUICK! You're going to need survival supplies, I'll buy your high end gaming rig for some $$$.

of course I'm joking, but I can always hope someone falls for it.

Well said. I could have written that myself!

If you're genuinely worried about it then I don't know what to say. I'm in Rhode Island and a journalist from here just died from it so far be it from me to not understand what it's like.

My cousin has kidney failure and has to do dialysis. One of the workers there travels and has family in west Africa. This stuff is really scary and his wife adamantly told them to only let her husband be handled by certain people. My former job also had me working at DFW airport. As you could imagine, this hits dangerously close to home for me. It's way too easy to dismiss something when it's not happening close to you.

It's way too easy to dismiss something when it's not happening close to you.

I'm not dismissing it. I regularly travel to Dallas and DC. I'm fucking scared too, but the rational side of me says there's almost nothing to worry about.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh great, conspiracies. I thought LTT was safe from this garbage...

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

A Doctor (the one that went to the airport in full biohazard gear, wasn't reported on in the US, at least not by the TV) just called into a local talk radio station I listen to and said that the health care community has been expecting sporadic outbreaks in the US for several weeks. And that the CDC is completely in damage control mode when they tell people everything is fine.

My advice, start wearing gloves and a mask when you go out, we already have. (just to remind people who think that's crazy, people do it in China and Japan all the time during flu season)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh great, conspiracies. I thought LTT was safe from this garbage...

Because Big Parma does not make exorbitant amounts of profit from selling snake oil in many cases ?

Blocking flights is brilliant.....Because all the infected areas are extremely dependent upon western doctors and aid to even have a chance to combat this,. If we isolate them, they will completely lose control of the spread and then it will spread to the rest of africa, and then the rest of the world.

Brilliant!

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Blocking flights is brilliant.....Because all the infected areas are extremely dependent upon western doctors and aid to even have a chance to combat this,. If we isolate them, they will completely lose control of the spread and then it will spread to the rest of africa, and then the rest of the world.

Brilliant!

Aid workers fly by chartered flight, not commercial airlines.

Are we screwed?

Well that will depend on how quick the drug companies develop vaccines and the effectiveness of containment. I'm not worried about this though I would have to admit that it is at the back of my mind.

I envy those people living in the Outback, wish I was there.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

A Doctor (the one that went to the airport in full biohazard gear, wasn't reported on in the US, at least not by the TV) just called into a local talk radio station I listen to and said that the health care community has been expecting sporadic outbreaks in the US for several weeks. And that the CDC is completely in damage control mode when they tell people everything is fine.

My advice, start wearing gloves and a mask when you go out, we already have. (just to remind people who think that's crazy, people do it in China and Japan all the time during flu season)

Sorry, but I think that doctor is stupid or is trying to scare people because there are two statements there and only one is proven to be true.

The CDC is preparing for an outbreak. Because thats kinda the job of the CDC. They have made intructions for all hospitals on how they should treat people, and what they should do in case of a ebola ehh..well case....That is why it was so stupid by that hospital that let the obama patient go because they didn't follow the intructions.....That the CDC is in damage control mode is something this doctor has no way of knowing because he doesn't work for the CDC right? And he sounds kinda like somebody who wants attention.

The CDC is supposed to be ready for something like this...how pissed would you be if they wasn't.

We need to stop going crazy when the illness is still as contained as it is. Its not airborne, and you have to be in near contact to catch it. Take the easy. The CDC is doing its job, they aren't trying to trick anybody. It would be extremely irresponsible to come out and claim that there a national disaster when there are so few infected. Remember SARS and all the other virus outbreaks...

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Are we screwed?

Well that will depend on how quick the drug companies develop vaccines and the effectiveness of containment. I'm not worried about this though I would have to admit that it is at the back of my mind.

I envy those people living in the Outback, wish I was there.

I haven't taken a vaccine since they forced us to as children in yearly grade school. All I know is that when my comrades took that Swine Flu vaccine they where the ones getting sick to the point where some had to take time off of work. Anytime someone asks to stick a needle in my arm I ask them ... "Do you know what the heck you are putting in me" evidently they had no idea in regards to the Swine Flu Vaccination so I told them to bugger off.

Sorry, but I think that doctor is stupid or is trying to scare people because there are two statements there and only one is proven to be true.

The CDC is preparing for an outbreak. Because thats kinda the job of the CDC. They have made intructions for all hospitals on how they should treat people, and what they should do in case of a ebola ehh..well case....That is why it was so stupid by that hospital that let the obama patient go because they didn't follow the intructions.....That the CDC is in damage control mode is something this doctor has no way of knowing because he doesn't work for the CDC right? And he sounds kinda like somebody who wants attention.

The CDC is supposed to be ready for something like this...how pissed would you be if they wasn't.

We need to stop going crazy when the illness is still as contained as it is. Its not airborne, and you have to be in near contact to catch it. Take the easy. The CDC is doing its job, they aren't trying to trick anybody. It would be extremely irresponsible to come out and claim that there a national disaster when there are so few infected. Remember SARS and all the other virus outbreaks...

It's equally irresponsible to not clamp down on air travel from the infected region based on bullshit excuses, they can prepare all they want, but unless you limit travel to and from the infected area, it won't make a fucking difference, hell Saudi Arabia just issued an edict that no one may travel to their country from the infected area, even Muslims on their Haj (their once in a lifetime mandatory religious pilgrimage to Mecca)

It's equally irresponsible to not clamp down on air travel from the infected region based on bullshit excuses, they can prepare all they want, but unless you limit travel to and from the infected area, it won't make a fucking difference, hell Saudi Arabia just issued an edict that no one may travel to their country from the infected area, even Muslims on their Haj (their once in a lifetime mandatory religious pilgrimage to Mecca)

You have to shut down airtravel much more or it will have no effect. You have to close down air travel to all places that haven't closed down air travel to those places. Unless the entire world agrees to completely isolate those places it will have no effect.

But limited is fine. You just can't close off all flights since their are aid workers and vital doctors trying to contain the spread which is in everybodys interest.

You have to shut down airtravel much more or it will have no effect. You have to close down air travel to all places that haven't closed down air travel to those places. Unless the entire world agrees to completely isolate those places it will have no effect.

You refuse to admit anyone with the infected nation's stamp on their passport, that's what the passport is for, to see where that person has been, not just where they are coming from.

Granted that can be gotten around with "clean passports" but the point is, it's still better than just saying "fuck it, don't do anything" like the current administration has.

Over 100 peoples in quarantine for ebola,1 in hawaii and another one in D.C and like 400 more (from the plane)... What's your opinion about this? How this will end?

The truth about ebola is that it's hard to catch it even if someone has it in the same room as you. It's not as contagious as people think.

And like the first commenter said, once enough people are infected we will find a cure in no time :P

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1