Dimming Your Phone's Screen Under Your Thumb Could Prolong Battery Life

Ethnod

Well now this is clever… and from Microsoft, I’m confused … :P Ah no seriously, I’m impressed. Extremely good concept. I would have liked them to have surveyed more than just 12 people tbh but still very cool.

For those that don’t want to go and read the article the basics are that the research centres around the fact that in a lot of cases while using the phone we obscure parts of the phone with our hands and fingers and still manage to use them perfectly so the principle is that those areas are dimmed and as such will save on battery. According to the article as much as 12% can be saved and while that does not seem like a lot it can make the difference between having to charge in work and getting home or being able to make that last call to find out where you are going.

Pretty cool if it is implemented properly.

I still think that scientists need to get the finger out and improve battery tech

gwjmfan53rup3olpaxhi.jpg

Source:

http://gizmodo.com/dimming-your-phones-screen-under-your-thumb-could-prolo-1641592604

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Hmm, i'm not sure...

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

"Dimming Your Phone's Screen Under Your Thumb Could Prolong Battery Life"... by about ten seconds

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This will only work on OLEDs. SO thats most phones off the list. Why not just turn the bightness down in the first place, You could get that 12% any you probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Well now this is clever… and from Microsoft, I’m confused … :P Ah no seriously, I’m impressed. Extremely good concept. I would have liked them to have surveyed more than just 12 people tbh but still very cool.

For those that don’t want to go and read the article the basics are that the research centres around the fact that in a lot of cases while using the phone we obscure parts of the phone with our hands and fingers and still manage to use them perfectly so the principle is that those areas are dimmed and as such will save on battery. According to the article as much as 12% can be saved and while that does not seem like a lot it can make the difference between having to charge in work and getting home or being able to make that last call to find out where you are going.

I still think that scientists need to get the finger out and improve battery tech

gwjmfan53rup3olpaxhi.jpg

Source:

http://gizmodo.com/dimming-your-phones-screen-under-your-thumb-could-prolo-1641592604

the only problem is that most phones have edgelit siplays and if no tthey definatly don't have indvidually backlit sections that would waste even more energy and battery life

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Sorry, it's not so significant, if it was a higher power saving, I would go for it. Microsoft has been doing a lot of interesting research lately and it's awesome, but this is one of those things that we won't see implemented. :)

gwjmfan53rup3olpaxhi.jpg

Source:

nice f-stop title

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

So if a phone battery lasts 16 hours, at the uppermost saved batterylife (12%) then you could get nearly 2 hours extra batterylife. But the amount of extra time you get would be dependent on battery size and other factors as well. And of course AM/OLED screens would have to be used most likely.

It's a good idea, but how widely it will be widely implemented shall have to be seen.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

i could see an extra 10-15 minutes, but you also gata think something is using power processing where to dim, and will need a whole new sensor system to know whats under the thumb relive to your eye and that it doesn't accidentally dim parts of the screen for people walking next to you.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Scientists should have higher priority on improving batteries for other stuff like electric cars rather than phones

I love how half the posts are saying its not significant... 12% is A LOT, especially for one little trick. I bet most companies spend thousands of hours in research time to figure out how to save even 1% of battery life. 12% here, 4% there, etc results in much better battery life, its much more effective to cut a little bit of drain off several components than to majority reduce drain from just one.

Scientists should have higher priority on improving batteries for other stuff like electric cars rather than phones

The tech gained from one area always benefits another, better phone batteries mean better car batteries and vice versa. Historically the development of better phone batteries has had a larger impact on electric car batteries, rather than the other way around. Hell, in the beginning most people were throwing lead batteries in electric cars, even though lithium varieties had been around forever.

I love how half the posts are saying its not significant... 12% is A LOT, especially for one little trick. I bet most companies spend thousands of hours in research time to figure out how to save even 1% of battery life. 12% here, 4% there, etc results in much better battery life, its much more effective to cut a little bit of drain off several components than to majority reduce drain from just one.

The tech gained from one area always benefits another, better phone batteries mean better car batteries and vice versa. Historically the development of better phone batteries has had a larger impact on electric car batteries, rather than the other way around. Hell, in the beginning most people were throwing lead batteries in electric cars, even though lithium varieties had been around forever.

Greedy companies like apple will keep there technology to them selves

"Dimming Your Phone's Screen Under Your Thumb Could Prolong Battery Life"... by about ten seconds

The actual idea is permanently dimming the areas that are typically covered by your thumb, rather than just when your thumb touches the screen (the reaction time would be too slow to do that un-jarringly)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Or you know you could fund more IGZO display development...

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Greedy companies like apple will keep there technology to them selves

While I'm not a fan of Apple, image how far behind smartphones would be right now if they didn't exist.

Whether they share the tech or not, it will be reverse engineered, copied, and modified.

Also, I doubt Apple has ever done battery research, they just throw in whatever is the most powerful.

But are they sure I wouldn't be able to notice this if I were maybe watching a video? I always keep my brightness down anyway, except when I'm outside and can't see my phone.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

This would be extremely annoying unless developed perfectly which is being very optimistic. I think I'll just stick to carrying a battery pack every once in a while.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Probably wouldn't help that much, many people keep their brightness fairly low anyway.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

But.. I use a stylus  :(

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

More power could be saved if the phones stopped running tracker apps from the providers, and their BS apps, well not having the BS apps woulds save mainly storage but save CPU as in when you accidentally start those  BS apps.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

i could see an extra 10-15 minutes, but you also gata think something is using power processing where to dim, and will need a whole new sensor system to know whats under the thumb relive to your eye and that it doesn't accidentally dim parts of the screen for people walking next to you.

no new sensors needed ... because the phone already know where you pressing. also chips are quite efficient (i can confirm that with mediatek chips )   

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

So this cool advancement might be made to help prolong battery life of phones and people are having sour attitudes about it?

So what if it's a small percentage, it's still something .