Windows 10 Insider Topic

Gachr
13 hours ago, Principis said:

I'm on the slow ring but I want to get out but I can't figure out how to do it do any of you guys now?

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You no longer want to be an Insider? If that is the case, you need to clean install Windows 10.

Don't forget you will need a key to go to a non-preview version ... ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

You no longer want to be an Insider? If that is the case, you need to clean install Windows 10.

Not necessarily. He/she can choose to stop receiving insider builds. Once the next official release build comes out they'll be able to update to that build.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Ok thanks :)

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not necessarily. He/she can choose to stop receiving insider builds. Once the next official release build comes out they'll be able to update to that build.

I'm not going to wait half a year :)

I have too much problems so I give up...

1 hour ago, Principis said:

I'm not going to wait half a year :)

Nonsense :D. You'll just have to wait for the next bug fix update (which should be around November).

But if you want it right now then you'll need to clean install.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nonsense :D. You'll just have to wait for the next bug fix update (which should be around November).

But if you want it right now then you'll need to clean install.

I really don't want to do a clean install it takes to much time... So yeah I'll wait... :(

I also have a problem with my laptop I just want to know if you guys also have it, the Task bar would occasionaly become unresponsive and whole Windows would act weird. I van only solve it by restarting explorer.exe...

New Windows 10 Build! Build 14951.

What's new:

• Ability to set keyboard shortcuts to gestures done with system with Precision Trackpad. For example: WIN + Alt + D or WIN + F
  • Windows Ink Improvements. Now has a protractor.
    protactor.png

• Updated camera app.

• Enjoy taking photos, videos, and panoramas with our higher-contrast capture buttons.
    • Set a photo timer right from the camera dashboard with our new toggle control.
    • Get to Settings faster! Now, launch into Settings directly from the camera UI.
    • Access your camera roll with one hand from its new spot on the screen.
    • Zoom more easily with the new zoom slider.
    • Make sure you nailed the shot, with a more noticeable capture animation.
    • Change between front- and rear-facing cameras with a more prominent button control.
    • On PC, use the spacebar as a shortcut to take pictures.
  • Developer Mode can be enabled without the need to restart the system.
  • Narrator improvements
  • Windows Subsystem for Linux updated to Ubuntu 16.04
  • You can now launch Windows binaries directly from a WSL command prompt (that is the Linux subsystem)

What's fixed?
  • We fixed the issue causing PCs that are capable of Connected Standby such as the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 to sometimes bugcheck (bluescreen) while in Connected Standby.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War (and some 3rd party games) failing to install from the Store with the error code 0x80073cf9 when the system’s app install location was set to drive with native 4k Sectors (or 4k sector sized drive).
  • We fixed an issue resulting in larger Store games such as ReCore, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct and Rise of the Tomb Raider possibly failing to launch.
  • We fixed an issue where the console window (which hosts Command Prompt, PowerShell, and other command-line utilities) might not snap correctly to the inside edges between two monitors with different DPI scaling.
  • We fixed an issue where all agenda items in the taskbar’s Clock and Calendar flyout were using the primary calendar’s color, rather than matching their respective calendar’s colors as selected in the Outlook Calendar app.
  • We fixed issue where the Add PIN button in Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options was sometimes unexpectedly greyed out for domain-joined devices.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Groove crashing if you tried to reorder the songs in a very large playlist.
  • We’ve updated our migration logic to now include custom scan code mappings. That means that going forward from this build, if you’ve used Registry Editor to remap certain keys (for example, Caps Lock key to null), that change will persist across upgrades.
  • We fixed an issue Insiders may have experienced resulting in Adobe Photoshop Express crashing after clicking on the ‘correct’ button when trying to edit a cropped image.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in .csv or .xlsx files downloaded from Microsoft Edge sometimes unexpectedly appearing to be locked for editing by “another user” when SmartScreen was enabled.
  • We fixed an issue where enabling the RemoteFX adaptor for a Virtual Machine would result in it failing to power on with the error ‘Unspecified error’ (0x80004005)

Known issues:

• Signing into apps such as Feedback Hub, Groove, MSN News, etc. with your Microsoft Account if you sign out or get signed out of these apps will not work. If this happens to you and you cannot sign in to Feedback Hub, you can send us feedback via the forums.
  • You may experience a crash while using the protractor in Sketchpad – we’re working on a fix.
  • If you have a 3rd party antivirus product installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build
  •  

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/10/19/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14951-for-mobile-and-pc

Hmm.. It is stuck at 28% on my desktop, and it is stuck at 0% on my phone...

Do you guys have issues?

11 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Updated a desktop and two laptops without problems.

Yea. Desktop got unstuck... was strange... as it was stuck there for several minutes... I guess servers just jump being too more loaded.

Mobile stuck at o%.. still waiting...

• 3 weeks later...

New Build 14959, but nothing interesting, beside the new Update system, and now an new feature for Hyper-V users, where you can now override the Display Scaling (DPI).

Bug fixes:

• We fixed an issue for Insiders resulting in the automatic brightness setting unexpectedly being turned off after upgrading. In doing so, we’ve re-enabled automatic brightness adjust for users that have never changed their auto-brightness setting. If you have already manually configured your auto-brightness setting, then this fix will not affect you. If you would like to enable or disable automatic brightness adjustment, please go to Settings > System > Display, where you can adjust your preferences.
  • We fixed an issue Insiders on domain connected PCs may have experienced where login might fail when the computer was disconnected from its domain network.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in certain apps, such as Outlook Mail and Calendar, failing to update for some Insiders with the error code 0x800700B7.
  • We fixed an issue for Insiders with certain device models where ejecting an SD card might result in a system crash.
  • We fixed an issue where disliking one of the Spotlight lock screen images would show the new image immediately, followed by a transition animation from the previous image to the new image.
  • We fixed an issue where launching an app from another app while in Tablet mode no longer launched it side by side, and instead launched it fullscreen (for example, when launching a web link from the MSN News app).

Known issues:

• If you have a 3rd party antivirus product installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build.
  • We’re aware of an issue where Internet Explorer may crash a few seconds after launch and working.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14959-for-mobile-and-pc/#8WBX4Kek9XeTLPM8.97

Does any one remember when the first day the technical preview was available. I know its September or October 2014, just trying to remember. Had windows 10 since that day. 

16 hours ago, CookieMaster said:

Does any one remember when the first day the technical preview was available. I know its September or October 2014, just trying to remember. Had windows 10 since that day. 

Fairly certain it was September.

May I ask why?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Fairly certain it was September.

May I ask why?

had it since day ine and only used windows 10 after that date, like never went back. I just wanna sound cool and tell people yeah ive been using windows 10 for 2 years already while then had it for a year. I'm also just wondering 

Windows 10 - Build 14965

What's New?

Controlling external monitors from tablets just got easier (PC): You can now drive content on a second display from your tablet without ever having to attach a mouse. The virtual touchpad lets you do more with a tablet and a second screen – just connect to another monitor, PC, or TV, go to Action Center and tap on the “Project” Quick Action to extend your screen. Use it just like you would a physical touchpad to control content on the connected screen. To enable it, press and hold on the taskbar and select “Show touchpad button”. A touchpad icon will now appear in the notification area (just like Windows Ink Workspace does), and tapping on it will bring it up the virtual touchpad.

Virtual touchpad

You’ve seen the work we’ve been doing for precision touchpad customization with the last few builds, and the virtual touchpad is no exception. While the virtual touchpad is open, go to Settings > Devices > Touchpad and you’ll be able to tweak the touchpad settings to your preferences.

Sticky Notes update (PC): Windows Insiders in the Fast ring will receive will receive Sticky Notes app update to version 1.2.9.0 today and we’re very excited to share what it includes!

• We’ve expanded our support for Insights to many more languages and regions, with even more to come in further updates, stay tuned! Specifically, with this version:
    • We’ve added flight detection for Germany (Germany), in more English locales (Canada, Great Britain, India, Arabia), Spanish (Spain & Mexico), French (France, Canada), Italian (Italy), Japanese (Japan), and Portuguese (Brazil).
    • We’ve added email & URL recognition for every locale (except Chinese (simplified or traditional), Korean, or Japanese, which we’re still working on).
    • We’ve added phone number recognition to all English, German, Spanish, French and Italian locales.
    • We’ve added address recognition support for English (Great Britain) and Spanish (United States).
    • We’ve added time recognition (prompting to create a Cortana reminder) to English (Great Britain), English (Australia) and English (India).
    • We’ve added stock recognition (for example, $MSFT) to English (Australia), English (Canada), English (India), German (Germany), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), French (France), French (Canada), Japanese (Japan) and Portuguese (Brazil).
  • If Insights in Sticky Notes isn’t turned on automatically for you, tap “…” > Settings gear > “Enable insights”. Note: The language and region used to detect Insights in Sticky Notes is based off of the active keyboard. We’re currently investigating some issues where Insights may not show up as expected if you switch keyboards while typing in Sticky Notes.
  • We’ve fixed some issues with Undo and Redo (CTRL + Z/CTRL + Y) while typing, so they’ll now do so more reliably.
  • We’ve improved the performance of text input while typing.
  • It’s now easier than ever to get the latest Sticky Notes app updates. When our next update is available, we’ll show an in-app prompt so all you have to do is click ‘Update’.
  • We’ve also done a whole lot of UI/UX polishing and performance improvements that we hope you enjoy.

We’re been making a bunch of improvements based on your feedback, and have more to come, so let us know what you’d like to see next! In recent versions of Sticky Notes, we’ve added support for many of your favorite keyboard shortcuts, including CTRL + B (bold), CTRL + I (italic), CTRL + N (new note) and CTRL + D (delete note), added a new context menu for easy copy/paste, reduced the minimum note size for typists, as well as generally improved our reliability and performance.

Windows Ink Workspace Improvements (PC): This build includes a number of improvements to the Windows Ink Workspace.

• We increased the number of Recently Used apps shown in the Windows Ink Workspace to 6, and added a link to quickly access your pen settings.
  • We’ve improved the performance of loading Sketchpad when there’s a lot of ink present on the sketch.
  • We’ve updated the new protractor, so that you can use the scroll-wheel on your mouse to shrink/expand it (depending on the direction of the scrolling).
  • We fixed an issue where, when using Sticky Notes in the Windows Ink Workspace, the background would ding when tapped.
  • We fixed an issue where inking and resizing the protractor at the same time would result in Sketchpad crashing.
  • We’ve updated the “Pen & Windows Ink” Settings for pen users to now include a link to the handwriting training tool – simply click on “Get to know my handwriting” to launch it. We’ve also improved how we learn from your handwriting samples – try it out and let us know what you think!

Enhancing the Address Bar in Registry Editor (PC): We were really excited to hear how excited you were about the new address bar in Registry Editor, and based on your feedback, we’ve already incorporated two new features:

1. You can now use CTRL + L to set focus to the address bar – while we already supported ALT + D, we recognize that some people prefer this keyboard shortcut instead, so now you have the option to use either one
  2. You can now use shorthand notation for HKEY names – you told us that when sharing registry paths you always use shorthand notation (HKCU) instead of typing out the full HKEY name (i.e. HKEY_CURRENT_USER), so we should support them in the address bar, and you know what? We agree! You can now just use “HKCR”, “HKCU”, “HKLM”, and “HKU” instead of typing or pasting the respective full name “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT”, “HKEY_CURRENT_USER”, “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”, or “HKEY_USERS” into the address bar.

Improving Your Hyper-V VM experience (PC): Following the new VM scaling options mentioned in last week’s build, we’ve fixed an issue where depending on the zoom level selected, the VM window might not be created large enough to avoid scrollbars, despite their being enough space for it. We also updated the logic so that when you pick a particular zoom level, that zoom level preference will be preserved for the next VM connection. Along the way, we fixed an issue where the title bar of a maximized VM window would be occluded when taskbar had been set to on top.

What's fixed:

• We have fixed the issue causing Internet Explorer to crash a few seconds after launch.
  • We fixed an issue where, when using Cortana in French (France or Canada), the “Prendre une <photo/video/selfie>” (take a picture, video, or selfie) command was redirecting to a Bing search rather than opening the Camera app as expected.
  • We’ve made some graphics improvements so the system will now respond better when WIN + L is pressed while playing a full screen game.
  • We’ve updated the ALT + F4 Shutdown dialog to better respond to DPI changes when connected to an external monitor. We also fixed an issue where the tooltips for the taskbar notification area items would be incorrectly sized after a DPI change until rebooting the machine or otherwise signing out and back in.
  • We’ve fixed an issue where File Explorer might crash when creating or renaming a folder on a network share.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in the text on the Outlook Calendar tile on the Start menu being slightly fuzzy.
  • We fixed an issue where deleted files might reappear in File Explorer with a 0 byte size.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in a Windows Default Lock Screen window sometimes appearing after logging in.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in File Explorer crashing after right-clicking an app in Task Manager and selecting “Open File Location”.
  • We’ve updated our migration logic so that going forward from Build 14965, preferred UAC settings, startup shortcuts, and File Explorer folders that had been pinned to the Start menu will all now be preserved across upgrades.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in vertical lists written in XAML, such as those found in Groove Music, unexpectedly animating in from the side.
  • We fixed an issue resulting in Cortana crashing if you typed “Create an appointment” then clicked on the resulting suggestion to “Create an appointment”.
  • We fixed an issue where in Microsoft Edge, after cancelling a file download, the progress bar for the next file downloaded might appear to be stuck at the point at which the old file’s download was at when it was cancelled.
  • We fixed an issue that could result in the Japanese Input Method Editor (IME) periodically showing the candidate window in the upper left corner of the desktop and not being able to enter text into the Office 2016 apps and some other text editors.

Read more: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/11/09/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14965-for-mobile-and-pc/#7AW64VghS0OUxqOI.97

Build 14965

Language Packs for PC have been slightly delayed for this build. For those of you with Language Packs installed, we recommend holding off checking for updates and taking this build until the Language Packs are published. We expect these to be fully published later today. UPDATE: Language Packs for PC are now available.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Well I am am fully updated now on my 950xl and my issues that cropped up in the previous build have not been fixed, i.e. Pandora doesn't stream properly and Word crashes when opening a secure doc. quess I will have to put up for a while longer ... kinda sucks, I miss my Pandora. :( 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Well I am am fully updated now on my 950xl and my issues that cropped up in the previous build have not been fixed, i.e. Pandora doesn't stream properly and Word crashes when opening a secure doc. quess I will have to put up for a while longer ... kinda sucks, I miss my Pandora. :( 

Wrong thread?!

35 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Wrong thread?!

Lol! I thought clicked the mobile thread .... thanks. 

I will post it there. You may delete my mistake if you so feel moved to do so. 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, toby0897 said:

is anybody running the latest insider build (14971)

I think I am but my pc is so slow after the latest update it's terrible and Windows explorer keeps doing weird stuff...

3 hours ago, toby0897 said:

is anybody running the latest insider build (14971)

I am :)

49 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Only bug that I had with 14971 is Settings and Photos app popping up from time to time.

It actually happens on all Universal Apps. To solve the problem, don't close them when maximized. Under the feedback hub, I saw in one of them, Microsoft responded that they are working on a fix.

11 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Yup, saw something about that in WindowsCentral, but it's a pretty bizarre bug. How maximize can affect an app ability to close or open? Seems like bad programming, in my opinion.

Yea, very strange indeed. I am thinking that, perhaps, something on the back was changed which causes a bug that trickle down between the different components of the OS, to end up with this issue. Remember that Universal Apps, when closed, they aren't actually closed. They are invisible to you, and run under suspended mode. That is why when they re-appear, the app is not actually loading properly. So It seems that when the window is closed maximized, the suspense system is not behaving right, and wakes it up partially.

6 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Exactly, but how does that make any sense? I can imagine some ways of screwing this up, but using some terrible programming practices that I hope people in MS don't use =x

I am giving the benefit of the doubt on the complexity of the back-end of an OS. That, or a typo was made on the code somewhere, and probably the build was picked before the person could fix it... so maybe next build. My guess, is that each team, as they work, they submit to some versioning system (kinda like CVS or BitBocket, or Perforce, which ever MS uses internally), and some other team does a pull, forming an OS build, test it, and as long as nothing critical is identified (like: data loss, or simply does not work), they release it to the Fast Ring. Or something along those lines. I mean they have to, as they pretty much release a new build of Windows each week on avg.

I have not seen a new Fast Ring build release in a while...

I hope they fix whatever is breaking my ability to stream properly .... *knocking on wood*

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I have not seen a new Fast Ring build release in a while...

I hope they fix whatever is breaking my ability to stream properly .... *knocking on wood*

The latest build is 14971. Keep in mind that the week of Thanksgiving day in the US, Microsoft is pretty much in vacation. So no work is done. Expect the same when we will reach Christmas until New Year.