Ask a Mormon guy anything! (Serious or Otherwise)

LDX

Opinions on Trey Parker, Robert Lopez and Matt Stone

I don't know who Robert Lopez is but the other two make me giggle.

I was watching BASEketball yesterday :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

How was the universe created?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I don't know who Robert Lopez is but the other two make me giggle.

I was watching BASEketball yesterday :)

Its a reference to the musical the book of mormon, they were the writers of it and the musical is incredibly offensive

Its a reference to the musical the book of mormon, they were the writers of it and the musical is incredibly offensive

Sounds interesting lol

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Opinions on Trey Parker, Robert Lopez and Matt Stone

I love these guys way before this musical, all their success is well  deserved, even tho' there are a few tinny disrespectful things i didnt enjoy (not related to mormonism) 

I still think the musical is really good, I even have many of the tracks in my HDD in my playlist, my favorite are: "Tomorrow is a later day" and "two by two"

if u go thru their interview they even tell they can tell who from the audience is a mormon, cause some of the jokes are based on things only mormons know or do

so I want to think they did it for us, and if anybody wants to make fun of us, Im flattered that was these guys

I know that a few mormon missionaries wen to the outside fo the theater after the show to give some Boooks and panflets, that might be interesting to watch

the LDS church made  an statement about it: 

The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ.

and I have even read about people being converted cause they heard about us from this musical? well thats a little bit too much, but it seems to be true

Who's gonna be your galactic wife?

I had to get married to a christian girl, carrie fisher was a little bit aged for me....

How was the universe created?

Great question...! 

Officially speaking we dont have ANY idea about how much time was implied in a "creation day" from the genesis

cause if u go thru Bible the time and seasons of planets were determined after the first day of creation, so 24hrs per day

might not be right, some religions believe each day was 1000 years (based on another Bibler scripture, 1st Peter I believe) and I respect that

But we officially dont know how much time took the creation process, might be a week, 7000 years, or a buzillion of years as carl sagan

wisely presented in their cosmos videos

BUT if u go the http://www.youtube.com/user/fairldsorg youtube channel, they have interesting (non-official) point of views of evolution and creation

I love these guys way before this musical, all their success is well  deserved, even tho' there are a few tinny disrespectful things i didnt enjoy (not related to mormonism) 

I still think the musical is really good, I even have many of the tracks in my HD in my playlist, my favorite are: "Tomorrow is a later day" and "two by two"

if u go thru their interview they even tell they can tell who from the audience is a mromon, cause some of the jokes are based on things only mormons know or do

so I want to think they did it for us, and if anybody wants to make fun of us, Im flattered that was these guys

I know that a few mormon missionaries wen to the outside fo the theater after the show to give some Boooks and panflets, that might be interesting to watch

the LDS church made  an statement about it: 

The production may attempt to entertain audiences for an evening, but the Book of Mormon as a volume of scripture will change people's lives forever by bringing them closer to Christ.

and I have even read about people being converted cause they heard about us from this musical? well thats a little bit too much, but it seems to be true

So I'm guessing mormons arent like muslims when people use features of their religion for entertainment

/facepalm

I probably shouldn't even get involved  B)

What is your stance on scientific theory?

Great question...!

Officially speaking we dont have ANY idea about how much time was implied in a "creation day" from the genesis

cause if u go thru Bible the time and seasons of planets were determined after the first day of creation, so 24hrs per day

might not be right, some religions believe each day was 1000 years (based on another Bibler scripture, 1st Peter I believe) and I respect that

But we officially dont know how much time took the creation process, might be a week, 7000 years, or a buzillion of years as carl sagan

wisely presented in their cosmos videos

BUT if u go the http://www.youtube.com/user/fairldsorg youtube channel, they have interesting (non-official) point of views of evolution and creation

So even though you are strictly NOT christian, you still follow the bible? How can you ever be sure that God created the universe? Is your belief simply placed in only the bible?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Oh no.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So even though you are strictly NOT christian, you still follow the bible? How can you ever be sure that God created the universe? Is your belief simply placed in only the bible?

Well that depends on how u understand the word "Christian" We believe in Christ and the Bible, I would say we are christians, but in my experience the regular mainstream christans dont see us as christians, but thats just a name, I personally dont mind about it

About your question about God, Is a question for all believers not only mormons... 

But I agree belief without evidence is always a matter of debate

we like to think that theology shouldnt contradict science, we have a verse that says: the glory of god is intelligence - d&c 93

so we understand many things differently than other faiths, u might find some mormon schollars that openly accept evolution and many theories

however the church itself doesnt have an official position about this matters and as far as I understand not even science has a final statment about many things...

we like to think that theology shouldnt contradict science, we have a verse that says: the glory of god is intelligence - d&c 93

so we understand many things differently than other faiths, u might find some mormon schollars that openly accept evolution and many theories

however the church itself doesnt have an official position about this matters and as far as I understand not even science has a final statment about many things...

Thanks for answering my question.

Well that depends on how u understand the word "Christian" We believe in Christ and the Bible, I would say we are christians, but in my experience the regular mainstream christans dont see us as christians, but thats just a name, I personally dont mind about it

About your question about God, Is a question for all believers not only mormons...

But I agree belief without evidence is always a matter of debate

If an advanced civilisation from another galaxy were to visit earth with evidence that contradicted the bible entirely, would you still hold your faith?

I'm not sure if it is available in your country, but what do Mormons think of the show "Big Love"?

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Official position of the church is that J. Smith did it observing an ancient practice that the ancient pathricarcs had (Abraham, Jacob, etc.)

However some mormon scholars pointed out that smith never had any descendants and no DNA evidence had confirmed that he did

sucessors of Smith (Brigham Young and so on) did have multiple wives and dozens of children....

It was never a common practice among all mormons just a few of them and we still believe that it was not against God's will

We ended that up because it became ilegal, after that "Edmunds Tucker Act" and the "Official Declaration 2" all plural families were disolved

If the practice of plural wives was the way god intended why would you change your core belief system because non mormons created a law?  

EDIT -  I am actually not against polygamy for the record I think any adult should be able to enter into a relationship with any other consenting adults.  

I'm not sure if it is available in your country, but what do Mormons think of the show "Big Love"?

yeah its on the cable, I know some mormons likes to watch it... 

I personally preffer Breaking Bad,

what I can tell you about polygam nowadays is that our church does not permit plural marriage, but there was some ruptured branches of mormonism that still do it

and they do not belong to our organization, however since we have a polygamy past it is something that brings a little curiosity.... even for us

If an advanced civilisation from another galaxy were to visit earth with evidence that contradicted the bible entirely, would you still hold your faith?

actually mormon doctrine allows us to believe in another civilizations out from this world

and I dont think that contradicts Bible either....

This is a serious question, can you explain to me the reasons why Mormons all of a sudden accepted dark colored people into the church, after not letting them in for so long?

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

If the practice of plural wives was the way god intended why would you change your core belief system because non mormons created a law?  

EDIT -  I am actually not against polygamy for the record I think any adult should be able to enter into a relationship with any other consenting adults.  

I understand: perhaps I didnt make myself clear, we are not against polygamy either, and we havent changed our belief,

we still believe that Abraham, Jacob, Salomon and other modern mormon pathriarcs were allowed by God, but we have

an article of faith that says: http://mormon.org/articles-of-faith

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. 

So if any of these doctrines and practices are against these earthly laws, we will need to choose between one or the other 

Our leaders back in 1890 decided that this was the way to go... But beliefs remains the same

I understand: perhaps I didnt make myself clear, we are not against polygamy either, and we havent changed our belief,

we still believe that Abraham, Jacob, Salomon and other modern mormon pathriarcs were allowed by God, but we have

an article of faith that says: http://mormon.org/articles-of-faith

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law. 

So if any of these doctrines and practices are against these earthly laws, we will need to choose between one or the other 

Our leaders back in 1890 decided that this was the way to go... But beliefs remains the same

So if tomorrow the leaders of your country outlawed mormonism?  

This is a serious question, can you explain to me the reasons why Mormons all of a sudden accepted dark colored people into the church, after not letting them in for so long?

church always accepted dark or black people into church, the limitations were about prioesthood rights (wich I personally believe was huge mistake)

however all color people was alowed to become mormon, actually we were one of the first religious communities to invite black people to join our church

while other faiths got splited about this very subject at that time, there is even a document in US history called: "the people manifesto" which is a declaration against mormons

from other neighbor communities because we were "inciting slaves for liberty"

BUT this is not an excuse, is still a shameful part of our history

and it was based in blurry interpretations of our scriptures, however if you go thru mormon history u will learn about Elijah Abel and other Black mormons

that had all the priesthood rights and were ordained by Joseph Smith itself, so I would say there was no trace or evidence for us to start such a shameful practice like

not allowing our brothers rights like those....

Some mormons think it was a mistake, and some others have a big question mark in our brains about why this happened

I wish I have better answers

More info:

http://www.blacklds.org/history