Ask a Mormon guy anything! (Serious or Otherwise)

LDX

So if tomorrow the leaders of your country outlawed mormonism?  

this actually happened in the Book of mormon, a civilization was banned for praying and things like that

so they all prayed in their hearts or in their private rooms, and not only there, jews were persecuted by the french 

inquisition so they needed to worship in their own way in secret..... so not perfect scenario but still doable

OR u can take a plane to canada and visit linus at NCIX

this actually happened in the Book of mormon, a civilization was banned for praying and things like that

so they all prayed in their hearts or in their private rooms, and not only there, jews were persecuted by the french 

inquisition so they needed to worship in their own way in secret..... so not perfect scenario but still doable

OR u can take a plane to canada and visit linus at NCIX

Well that is not quite subjecting yourself to the king if you are going against their wishes privately.  

Well that is not quite subjecting yourself to the king if you are going against their wishes privately.  

ur right but as jesus said:

give cesar what belongs to caesar

if The Ceasar is pleased, is fair enough, u know the ceasar is not omniscient..... 

I guess it is open to debate, but it seems to me that the way the original prophets viewed the Word of Wisdom seemed to suggest moderation.   These were spoken words of God interpreted through them, so I don't see much flexibility in it.  Today I get the feeling that the view has changed to more of prohibition.  Do you feel that the original interpretation of the Word of Wisdom has changed?   And what is your personal attachment towards it?

By the way, I honestly respect the whole "body is sacred" point of view by keeping the impurities out.  Although it is easier said than done.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I guess it is open to debate, but it seems to me that the way the original prophets viewed the Word of Wisdom seemed to suggest moderation. These were spoken words of God interpreted through them, so I don't see much flexibility in it. Today I get the feeling that the view has changed to more of prohibition. Do you feel that the original interpretation of the Word of Wisdom has changed? And what is your personal attachment towards it?

By the way, I honestly respect the whole "body is sacred" point of view by keeping the impurities out. Although it is easier said than done.

well everything is clear for me except the part of "hot beverages" that we have wisely interprted as Coffee and Tea

and if u read the original document that Word of wisodm came to be sent as a "greeting";

not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days

actually the fewest cases I have seen on LDS members having difficulties with those things are not subject of excommunication or any similar

and even many LDS have decided to avoid all caffeine like pepsi and coke (not me) as u said it is very difficult to obey the full thing cause it also includes "meat":

All agrain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth; And athese hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.

But I never have met any mormon that ONLY eats meat during famine or hunger..... So nobody is perfect

the whole thing acknowledged in 1833 is here

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/89?lang=eng

ur right but as jesus said:

give cesar what belongs to caesar

if The Ceasar is pleased, is fair enough, u know the ceasar is not omniscient..... 

So you are not really subjects of the "king"?  Im just trying to square that away.  

So you are not really subjects of the "king"?  Im just trying to square that away.  

pls define "outlaw mormonism" so we can clear that up

I'm moving to Salt Lake City very soon (not Mormon). How's it like there, and how deeply rooted is the Mormon culture within the city?

actually mormon doctrine allows us to believe in another civilizations out from this world

and I dont think that contradicts Bible either....

Sorry, I meant if another race was to visit earth and had conclusive evidence of how the universe began that contradicted the bible.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I'm moving to Salt Lake City very soon (not Mormon). How's it like there, and how deeply rooted is the Mormon culture within the city?

I personally never been there, However my parents were there, and they loved it (and not becuase they are mormons), I would say is pretty much similar to any other city

Nothing weird, actually I know that there is a lot of technology activity around there, I was actually very surprised when I noticed that my first Guitar effect processor (Digitech RP-1 and RP-2000) was manufactured there. I know christmas time is awesome in SLC, I hope i can take my kids there for xmas someday

Moving for BYU I guess????  

Sorry, I meant if another race was to visit earth and had conclusive evidence of how the universe began that contradicted the bible.

I really dont want to avoid the question, but that depends a LOT in what u understand from the Bible

For example, Imagine that I am God and a session in Google SketchUp is the universe (a new blank CAD document) 

You are a living being inside my Google SketchUp Session.... and I have created you

What kind of evidence could you or any other creature within that universe could have?

I really dont want to avoid the question, but that depends a LOT in what u understand from the Bible

For example, Imagine that I am God and a session in Google SketchUp is the universe (a new blank CAD document)

You are a living being inside my Google SketchUp Session.... and I have created you

What kind of evidence could you or any other creature within that universe could have?

Conclusive scientific evidence of how something like a universe of infinite complexity and size can be created from nothing, with no 'intelligent' design interaction or contribution.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I personally never been there, However my parents are there right now, and they love it (and not becuase they are mormons), I would say is pretty much similar to any other city

Nothing weird, actually I know that there is a lot of technology activity around there, I was actually very surprised when I noticed that my first Guitar effect processor (Digitech RP-1 and RP-2000) was manufactured there. I know christmas time is awesome in SLC, I hope i can take my kids there for xmas someday

Moving for BYU I guess????  

Alright, thanks for the info. ^_^ I'm not really interested in BYU. If I had a choice I'd pick a good college in California.

Conclusive scientific evidence of how something like a universe of infinite complexity and size can be created from nothing, with no 'intelligent' design interaction or contribution.

well there is intelligence design even in caos, the word "fractal" itself implies design even in the things we considered disorder

a mathematician discovered a high level math pattern and behaviors not only in things we consider "intelligent" but even i the most random things u can even imagine

But okay!!!! lets say a "superior" alien race arrives to the earth with conclusive scientific evidence of how "something" like this universe

could be duplicated out of nothing....

Does this necesarily means that the same happened to this universe? Could be..! 

Lets say we discover an iron cube in mars, and scientist demonstrate that cube can be replicated just by the mars geology, no interaction... a remote and extense explanation

about how come that cube came all together

Is that the only explanation?

I'm sorry if I sound narrow minded, but I trully believe that we are not the result of coincidence

Are you related to Mitt Romney?

Nope?

I used to be mormon

That is only mind status, if you think by yourself that you are no longer a mormon, then you are not...

however there is still a record with ur name and data in the Church archives, I used to work there 

actually the LDS church have a very advanced worldwide system for its membership and you and I

are in there.... Follow the white rabbit

LDX, what is your first language?  You have a better grasp at the English language than most people on the internet.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

What would you have to say to someone who doesn't believe in any religion ?

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

well there is intelligence design even in caos, the word "fractal" itself implies design even in the things we considered disorder

a mathematician discovered a high level math pattern and behaviors not only in things we consider "intelligent" but even i the most random things u can even imagine

But okay!!!! lets say a "superior" alien race arrives to the earth with conclusive scientific evidence of how "something" like this universe

could be duplicated out of nothing....

Does this necesarily means that the same happened to this universe? Could be..! 

Lets say we discover an iron cube in mars, and scientist demonstrate that cube can be replicated just by the mars geology, no interaction... a remote and extense explanation

about how come that cube came all together

Is that the only explanation?

I'm sorry if I sound narrow minded, but I trully believe that we are not the result of coincidence

Well, you're kinda of avoiding the question and coming up with analogies that aren't 1:1. Point being, what would you do if you found out you are wrong about the universe's origin and came to the realisation that the bible was merely written by middle eastern peasants who couldn't fathom or explain a world beyond the visible horizon and thought medicine was some kind of 'miracle' - all a ignorant explanation that is currently explained and severely outdated?

And you're right. The universe has a rigid set to "rules" it follows. It's not at all coincidence. This applies to biological processes to, like evolution, which isn't at all random or coincidence.

LDX, what is your first language?  You have a better grasp at the English language than most people on the internet.

spanish... 

and thanks I appreciate it

What would you have to say to someone who doesn't believe in any religion ?

which games u play?

Having you seen that Southpark episode about Mormonism? It's dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb.

(Any puns you may catch are intended)

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |