Ask a Mormon guy anything! (Serious or Otherwise)

LDX

Well, you're kinda of avoiding the question and coming up with analogies that aren't 1:1. Point being, what would you do if you found out you are wrong about the universe's origin and came to the realisation that the bible was merely written by middle eastern peasants who couldn't fathom or explain a world beyond the visible horizon and thought medicine was some kind of 'miracle' - all a ignorant explanation that is currently explained and severely outdated?

In simple words what if I found out That I was wrong?

I would say: Whoops?

However the only scenario where that could happen is when I am dead and there is no afterlife

or any other thing, then I will have no chance to say Whoops.... Because I wont exists anymore

So in logical terms: I can't be wrong, cause something that don't exists cant be right or wrong.....

However the only scenario where that could happen is when I am dead and there is no afterlife

or any other thing, then I will have no chance to say Whoops.... Because I wont exists anymore

So in logical terms: I can't be wrong, cause something that don't exists cant be right or wrong.....

So why no side with the team that is backed by evidence and rationality now when you still can?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

When talking with my grandma about her religion I asked her this same question... "What if you chose the wrong religion and what if yours is proven wrong?"

She replied ignorantly: "I know i'm right. I know it's not wrong."

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

Conclusive scientific evidence of how something like a universe of infinite complexity and size can be created from nothing, with no 'intelligent' design interaction or contribution.

The problem with your question is that science, by its very nature, is never capable of proving the non-existence of anything.  Science can only draw conclusions on what it finds, not on what it can't find.  Science and theology are like parallel lines that will never intersect, you can't describe one with the other.  You can say that science can't prove the non-existence of flying fire breathing dragons.  At the same time you can't use theology to describe the nuances of string theory.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

What? That's not logical

And you're right. The universe has a rigid set to "rules" it follows. It's not at all coincidence. This applies to biological processes to, like evolution, which isn't at all random or coincidence.

I would like to like ur comment, but it looks so narrow minded when a Believer only approves what he likes to hear or read

I enjoy watching or listening to agnostics and atheists, I can see their point and I totally understand them... in comedy I love george carlin and Louis C.K. and I LOL with their arguments 

If I wasnt born as a mormon perhaps I would think the same, I have reached to think that there is no right or wrong in believeing or not, this is a material world with a lack of material evidence, 

would it be fair to judge non-believers with no arguments to convince them?  

If u really analize scriptures jesus never condemned anybody that did not beilieve, even one of his apostles had doubts, and another one betrayed him

the one thing that jesus condemned were actions.... or the lack of them....

I've heard that Mormons prefer to convert Jews over other religions. I have also heard that that Mormons baptize dead Jews. Is this true?  

I, and my family are jewish, and when my Aunt and Uncle lived in Idaho they were borderline harassed by Mormons. Nothing violent, but they stated they were not interested and kept returning/mentioning it when they saw them in the store ect. Is this normal behavior ? 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Having you seen that Southpark episode about Mormonism? It's dumb-dumb-dumb-dumb.

(Any puns you may catch are intended)

Not completely.. but a big part of it, now that i have netflix I will try to catch it

But in simple words, I can see their point

So why no side with the team that is backed by evidence and rationality now when you still can?

Because is not a matter of teams or sides, is not a mater of who is right or who is wrong

I have just really intimate reasons to believe, but if u ask me, I would say that: "I just know"

is not that I want to believe that way or is not that I have reached that conclusion.....

Sometimes u get answers when u just listen to the silence.....

When talking with my grandma about her religion I asked her this same question... "What if you chose the wrong religion and what if yours is proven wrong?"

She replied ignorantly: "I know i'm right. I know it's not wrong."

Yeah I know it sounds ignorant,, but perhaps it isnt

nobody is completely right and nobody is completely wrong, not even mormonism

One thing that really opened my Mind was this video about jellybeans

Then, who is right?

Because is not a matter of teams or sides, is not a mater of who is right or who is wrong

I have just really intimate reasons to believe, but if u ask me, I would say that: "I just know"

is not that I want to believe that way or is not that I have reached that conclusion.....

Sometimes u get answers when u just listen to the silence.....

I get mine from reading a science textbook  ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

What's the official LDS stance on caffeine? I hear that it's not allowed but I have a few close friends that are Mormon and they eat chocolate once in a while. 

If I wasnt born as a mormon perhaps I would think the same, I have reached to think that there is no right or wrong in believeing or not, this is a material world with a lack of material evidence,

I agree, people can believe what ever they please, as long as they keep these beliefs to themselves.

The problem arises when these beliefs are the root behind actions that adverse effect other peoples life's, and maybe only because they believe something different.

I sincerely believe that religion as a whole is detrimental to humans as well as the rest of life on earth (the ideas that humans are above other animals and the earth is here to essentially serve man).

I've heard that Mormons prefer to convert Jews over other religions. I have also heard that that Mormons baptize dead Jews. Is this true?  

I, and my family are jewish, and when my Aunt and Uncle lived in Idaho they were borderline harassed by Mormons. Nothing violent, but they stated they were not interested and kept returning/mentioning it when they saw them in the store ect. Is this normal behavior ? 

I think I didnt understand that completely...

But let me tell you this, we don't choose to convert anybody, we are just happy if ANYbody gets interested and then we wait 

if they doesnt convert to mormonism we still love them, I have met a few people that loves to go to meetings and attend to the church 

and they never convert to mormonism, and they even get to know more about us than most mormons.... I just like to have them

Actually my wife is not a mormon....

We baptize dead people, is not an arbitrary baptism is just a proxy baptism made in the name of the dead person....

in theory this person can decide whether to accept or not this ordinance.... we believe that it is our mission to extend 

this bennefit to all human kind, mostly to those that never had the chance during this life....

There was actually complaints about us doing those ordinances for dead jewish people and AFAIK the church inmediately stopped perfoming those

because we like to think that we are respectful to their relatives beleifs... 

About Jews converting into mormons, based in the scriptures we received in the 19th century there are some verses that recognizes the authority 

of the descendants of Aaron (which can only be found in Judaism) for us it means that the lord never forgets their covenants with his people....

Thanks for asking

What's the official LDS stance on caffeine? I hear that it's not allowed but I have a few close friends that are Mormon and they eat chocolate once in a while. 

official stance is No coffee and no tea, nothing else, we never knew why, we just stopped drinking it from 1833, when pepsi, chocolate or coke did not exists

and we havent received additional instruction about it / However many LDS members have decided to extend this to caffeine, but its a personal choice

official stance is No coffee and no tea, nothing else, we never knew why, we just stopped drinking it from 1833, when pepsi, chocolate or coke did not exists

and we havent received additional instruction about it / However many LDS members have decided to extend this to caffeine, but its a personal choice

Would you not prefer freedom to ingest whatever you please? (into your OWN body!)

I agree, people can believe what ever they please, as long as they keep these beliefs to themselves.

The problem arises when these beliefs are the root behind actions that adverse effect other peoples life's, and maybe only because they believe something different.

I sincerely believe that religion as a whole is detrimental to humans as well as the rest of life on earth (the ideas that humans are above other animals and the earth is here to essentially serve man).

in other words:

Beliefs are like a Penis

is nice to have one

the problem is trying to 

stick them into another people

Would you not prefer freedom to ingest whatever you please? (into your OWN body!)

We like to think that this gives you more freedom 

freedom to live longer and enjoy life with a better health

so depends what kind of freedom you preffer....

always a matter of choice

We like to think that this gives you more freedom 

freedom to live longer and enjoy life with a better health

so depends what kind of freedom you preffer....

always a matter of choice

To me, a lack of choice =/= freedom.

How common is it for a Mormon to renounce his religion? I'm a former Catholic that turned Agnostic-Atheist (never really felt a connection with the Big Cheese or any other Big Cheeses), and I've noticed that there are more young Catholic heretics than I thought at first.

Oh, one more question. Where did you do your mission?

Do you ever get really tired, mistype and miss the second m in mormon, then offend your family?

LOL

I spk spanish, but in spanish there are also other similar words that can be misstyped....

we usually reffer to ourselves as LDS (Latter day saints) 

To me, a lack of choice =/= freedom.

Lack of choice is when u cant do something

in this is cae:  I could do it,  but I sould not

Do u think that I have never tried one of those substances?

Lack of choice is when u cant do something

in this is cae:  I could do it,  but I sould not

Do u think that I have never tried one of those substances?

post-2523-0-34714800-1370152853.png

How common is it for a Mormon to renounce his religion? I'm a former Catholic that turned Agnostic-Atheist (never really felt a connection with the Big Cheese or any other Big Cheeses), and I've noticed that there are more young Catholic heretics than I thought at first.

Oh, one more question. Where did you do your mission?

yeah that its right, a leader of our church recently pointed that out, that in our days u can observe more young people

using those well known arguments coined by all those famous agnostics... 

About quiting his religion, there are many persons that just stop attending to church, I actually dont go like for the last 10 years at least actively

Just ocasionally, almost once a year, but thats because of my background...... lil bit hard to explain (as all good excuses)

But I wouldnt consider that quiting religion, just gettin lazy, however I have heard about people that decided to renounce officially and there is even a process

or paperwork fot that, cause this people wants his name to be erased from all our records.... But it is very rare

I served in the north of perú (my own country but different cities)