I could always go with a passive cooler if I can find a decent one.

NH-D14 should be able to run your chip passively especially when your mobo stands up vertically in your case, as it does in yours (?).

I left the middle fan in, just so my chipset and RAM would get some incidental airflow, but it is perfectly possible to run it passively. That said, the fan is undervolted to such an extend that it is barely spinning. I can't hear it unless my ear practically touches it.

MG2R, on 29 Jul 2013 - 1:31 PM, said:

The Intel stock cooler is actually not that bad at low wattage CPUs ;)

Indeed. The cooler that came with my i5 2500 is easily quiet enough for an office environment.

I wouldn't be comfortable running the machine @ 100% for extended periods of time, but for

more reasonable loads and short runs @ 100% it does its job quite nicely.

It actually has a PWM fan on it, so it spins down when the CPU isn't being stressed, and you

can barely hear it at all. People give stock coolers way too much crap IMHO, they do their

jobs quite nicely as long as you don't overvolt your chip (especially when you use them with

a chip which does not have a 95 W TDP).

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Indeed. The cooler that came with my i5 2500 is easily quiet enough for an office environment.

I wouldn't be comfortable running the machine @ 100% for extended periods of time, but for

more reasonable loads and short runs @ 100% it does its job quite nicely.

It actually has a PWM fan on it, so it spins down when the CPU isn't being stressed, and you

can barely hear it at all. People give stock coolers way too much crap IMHO, they do their

jobs quite nicely as long as you don't overvolt your chip (especially when you use them with

a chip which does not have a 95 W TDP).

I Completely agree! They get way too much crap. I don't even know why there is a point putting a non-stock cooler on a low end CPU lol. Most motherboards also allow fan profiles so my motherboard is a cheapo asus one and I have it set to "quiet" mode so the fan is barely spinning at all. The ONLY fan I hear is the case fan and even then it's a very quiet noise I can only hear when the room is silent. My server automatically turns off at night too so I don't hear a thing :) Personally the thing that keeps me up all night are systems with crazy lights all over the place hahaha. Can't stand that :D:D

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Post the complete details on your rig ;)

For a formatting example see first page of thread. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Post the complete details on your rig ;)

For a formatting example see first page of thread. ;)

For more info look in the first post. : )

For more info look in the first post. : )

Well now I feel silly, I even "liked" that post. :lol:

Does anybody know if Server 2012 R2 fixes the awful parity speed of Storage Spaces and adds balancing between disks? 

I have five 3TB drives and one of them was added after the other four already had ~300GB on them.

May I ask why you reserved a spot? :) What is it that you still have coming up??

More Schnitzels perhaps?

I always reserve a post.

Maybe when the list becomes to big I'll put the list in the 2nd post and put my server in the schnitzel post :p

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I added this to my post:

Backup:

All documents (so no media) are being synced to a rented VPS in Amsterdam. I use Bittorrent Sync to achieve this. All documents are also synced to my laptop. Even if my house catches on fire and I lose my laptop, desktop and server; all the important files are still secure.

Hardware
PSU: Corsair TX650
MB: Asus M4A78LT-M-LE
CPU: AMD Athlon II 255
HS: Stock AMD heatsink
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333
HDD 1: 3TB WD Green  5400rpm
HDD 2: 2TB WD Green 5400rpm
HDD 3: 2TB WD Green 5400rpm
HDD 4: 2TB Seagate 7200rmp
HDD 5: 1TB Samsung 7200rpm

Software and Configuration:
windows 8 storage spaces

Usage:
Store my music, movies and tv shows. Also is used as a media pc

Backup:
Have a second server at my parents place that is a mirror of mine

Photo's:

post-6357-0-58755800-1375665092_thumb.jppost-6357-0-11743500-1375665155_thumb.pnpost-6357-0-64247700-1375664617_thumb.jp

Hardware

PSU: Corsair TX650

MB: Asus M4A78LT-M-LE

CPU: AMD Athlon II 255

HS: Stock AMD heatsink

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333

HDD 1: 3TB WD Green  5400rpm

HDD 2: 2TB WD Green 5400rpm

HDD 3: 2TB WD Green 5400rpm

HDD 4: 2TB Seagate 7200rmp

HDD 5: 1TB Samsung 7200rpm

Nice, your added to the list with 10TB :)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Nice config, but have you ever thought about doing some cable management?

Also, are you comfortable running 5 HDDs in your living room? (talking about the noise they make)

Lol, Im running this

CvFVKF9.jpg 24/7 In my all in one living- ,bedroom and kitch

Lol, Im running this [...img...] 24/7 In my all in one living- ,bedroom and kitch

Hehe, nice! :)

I wouldn't be able to live with the noise.

While I prefer my PCs to be as silent as possible, I have actually found it difficult to

sleep when the slight humming of my PC is absent. Same with my dog; the sound of my room

is just "wrong" without my buddy snoring on his pillow at night. Funny what the human mind

can get used/conditioned to. :lol:

Hehe, nice! :)

While I prefer my PCs to be as silent as possible, I have actually found it difficult to

sleep when the slight humming of my PC is absent. Same with my dog; the sound of my room

is just "wrong" without my buddy snoring on his pillow at night. Funny what the human mind

can get used/conditioned to. :lol:

I have a friend that can't sleep unless he has his ventilator blowing. He says it's because he has tinnitus and because of that, if there aren't any other sounds around, he goes mad of hearing the beep inside his head...

I, myself, just hate noise. If it's not music or audio I'm purposefully creating, I want my room/house to be as quiet as possible.

I have a friend that can't sleep unless he has his ventilator blowing. He says it's because he has tinnitus and because of that, if there aren't any other sounds around, he goes mad of hearing the beep inside his head...

I, myself, just hate noise. If it's not music or audio I'm purposefully creating, I want my room/house to be as quiet as possible.

When my PC was disassembled it took me a few days to get used to the silence, so I think

it would work without noise, but I would need some time to readjust. It is a rather quiet

PC though, when I breathe loudly I can't hear the PC anymore.

Nice config, but have you ever thought about doing some cable management?

Also, are you comfortable running 5 HDDs in your living room? (talking about the noise they make)

I have thought of doing some cable management it was worse before that took like 10 mins to get like that then I gave up and decided to save for a better case probably getting an r4 or p280.

as for the harddrives the only one that i can hear is my boot drive unless theres a load on the system in which case the tv is usually on so it dont matter

Teaser update: Networking : 3

Just duming some pix

IAsv1Gm.jpg

7VQbe9x.jpg

Dear Santa RandomNOOB

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build