dedecated servers only :(

Why do they have to be dedicated ? Not a lot of people have needs for a few dedicated servers.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Why do they have to be dedicated ? Not a lot of people have needs for a few dedicated servers.

its in the criteria

Criteria:

Here are the criteria to get in 10TB+ list:

• It has to be a dedicated server system (so no work/game stations), NAS and virtualization are oke though.
  • A total capacity of at least 10TB.
  • It has to be one system. (all running of one motherboard)
  • It has to be private/ home storage, don't post your company's data-server! (unless its Linus Media Group)
  • Pics or it didn't happen, and write a nice post about your system.
  • Use my post as a template for your post

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

its in the criteria

Oh, I couldn't remember that lol, I guess it was "exempt" because he was added anyway.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

No problems with that :P my first server ran win 7... you should install some flavor of linux in a virtual machine on your desktop or laptop and play with it, it's actually quite fun to learn an entirely new OS, plus Linux is good for servers (cuz everything for it is free :D) 

That's a good point mate, I will look into this one day soon after my studies are complete for the semester :)

Oh, I couldn't remember that lol, I guess it was "exempt" because he was added anyway.

Which post is this? that rule is still in place at the moment, thought the line between dedicated and workstation might be a bit fuzzy...

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

That's a good point mate, I will look into this one day soon after my studies are complete for the semester :)

*Cough* Linux Basics *cough* :p

That rule is still in place at the moment, thought the line between dedicated and workstation might be a bit fuzzy...

May I ask why you put that rule in place? What was the reasoning behind it?

MOBO -  ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe

CPU - Intel Core i3 3225 3.3GHz

Is there a special reason why you went with that motherboard? Since you're not overclocking, you could've saved some money by going with an ASRock Z77E-ITX. I think it would even have gone better with your system colour wise.

Z77E-ITX%28m%29.jpg

Is there a special reason why you went with that motherboard? Since you're not overclocking, you could've saved some money by going with an ASRock Z77E-ITX. I think it would even have gone better with your system colour wise.

Z77E-ITX%28m%29.jpg

I completely agree, this is a factor I gave thought to after purchasing my parts. I have seen the motherboard u posted here after I bought mine and do prefer the colour scheme also. Maybe one day I might put it to better use though for now it does what it does I guess, I know it's potential going to waste atm. I may swap this out in the near future.

I completely agree, this is a factor I gave thought to after purchasing my parts. I have seen the motherboard u posted here after I bought mine and do prefer the colour scheme also. Maybe one day I might put it to better use though for now it does what it does I guess, I know it's potential going to waste atm. I may swap this out in the near future.

Too bad you didn't know the board beforehand. It's actually pretty good, I have put it in two systems already.

Too bad you didn't know the board beforehand. It's actually pretty good, I have put it in two systems already.

Yeah it's great now I do realize. My thoughts are to donate it to my sister along with my 3570K when I decide to upgrade, prob next year as Haswell doesn't really excite me at all, see what the next gen brings. I'll just buy a cheap board to replace the ASUS one and chuck that in the prodigy when I do, have to buy it soon as I'm not sure how much longer 1155 based m-itx boards will be on the market. What sort of system did u build with the ASUS mobo?

Yeah it's great now I do realize. My thoughts are to donate it to my sister along with my 3570K when I decide to upgrade, prob next year as Haswell doesn't really excite me at all, see what the next gen brings. I'll just buy a cheap board to replace the ASUS one and chuck that in the prodigy when I do, have to buy it soon as I'm not sure how much longer 1155 based m-itx boards will be on the market. What sort of system did u build with the ASUS mobo?

Am looking forward to seeing how far I can push the 3570K on the board as well, I currently have it at 4.6 with 1.31volts on an ASUS Sabertooth z77 board

What sort of system did u build with the ASUS mobo?

My water cooled Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log link in signature ;)

Am looking forward to seeing how far I can push the 3570K on the board as well, I currently have it at 4.6 with 1.31volts on an ASUS Sabertooth z77 board

I'm running my 3570K in the P8Z77I-deluxe at 4.5GHz 24/7 but have pushed 4.8 for a while as well.

My water cooled Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log link in signature ;)

I'm running my 3570K in the P8Z77I-deluxe at 4.5GHz 24/7 but have pushed 4.8 for a while as well.

oh awesome build mate, i do apologize I am a bit daft and don't notice fine print like that sometimes, nice work, 4.8 is a killer OC!

oh awesome build mate, i do apologize I am a bit daft and don't notice fine print like that sometimes, nice work, 4.8 is a killer OC!

Thanks! I tried pushing to 5.0, but I wasn't comfortable with the voltages anymore at that point :/ Might retry it one day, though.

Total Storage 

28.0TB

Server Name

Titan

Hardware

CASE: Lian Li 343B

PSU: Corsair TX850

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 @3.2Ghz

HS: Noctua NH-D14

RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ram

RAID CARD 1: LSI Megaraid 8708EM2

RAID CARD 2: LSI Megaraid 8708EM2

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB 

Enclosures: Startech 2 5.25 for 3 HDD (4) 

HD's: 

7x 2TB Western Digital (Red) WD20EFRS

2x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS

2x 2TB Western Digital WD20EARX

1x 2TB Western Digital WD20EADS

1x 1TB Western Digital WD10FALS

1x 3TB Western Digital WD30EZRS

Software and Configuration:

My server is running Windows 7, I have two raid 5 arrays's which one contains my Data Storage which I classify everything not media as Data, and my other is my Media storage.  My Media array is 7x 2TB WD Red's for a usable 12TB, with a Hotspare, and My Data Storage is 2x 2TB EARX, 1x WD20EADS, and 1WD20EARS for a usable 6TB.

Usage:

I use my server as my media hub for my entire house and beyond.  I have 2 WD TV Media players in different rooms in the house which can remotely access my server.  I also have 2x 2TB EARS on usb connected to one as a backup of my TV and Movie series.  I also utilize my server to access Air Video remotely on my Idevices, and it also serves as my security system monitoring cameras placed around the house.

Backup:

My Server is connected to Crashplan which stores my data off site.  I am currently doing my first upload which is taken almost two months already and still more data to go.

Additional info:

My server has been a work in progress for years, I first started it with parts after my last computer upgrade, and slowly I have ran the gauntlet of trying operating systems such as WHS v1, WHS 2011, Windows 8, and finally I think I am home with Windows 7.  There were features I liked with WHS but to many issued with certain programs and port issues with my ISP.  I recently changed cases to what I have been wanting for years the Lian Li 343B, from my Thermaltake Armor Case.  

Edit Pictures now up to date 7/3/13 

Photo's:

what case is this please and nice setup.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

what case is this please and nice setup.

says so in his post :P

Lian Li 343B

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

says so in his post :P

Lian Li 343B

ye i realised that my bad.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Hardware

CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini

PSU: Corsair CX500M

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220V2

HS: Noctua NH-L9i

RAM: 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz ECC RAM

SATA Card: HighPoint Rocket 620

FANS: 2x Noctua NF-F12

HDD: 6x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB

Software and Configuration

Running FreeNAS 9.1.0 RELEASE.

The 6x 4TB HDDs are configured in a ZFS raidz2 (software raid 6).  The array reports 14.2 TiB of usable storage.

Usage

Storage for movies, tv shows, music, etc

Backup

Most of the data on this NAS is available on various hard drives around the house, no real regular backup solution though.

Pictures

post-34818-0-07876100-1377039306.jpg

post-34818-0-35408500-1377039800.png

Hardware

CASE: Fractal Design Define Mini

PSU: Corsair CX500M

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220V2

HS: Noctua NH-L9i

RAM: 32GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz ECC RAM

SATA Card: HighPoint Rocket 620

FANS: 2x Noctua NF-F12

HDD: 6x Seagate NAS HDD 4TB

SSD: Intel X25-v 40GB (L2ARC)

Software and Configuration

Running FreeNAS 9.1.0 RELEASE.

The 6x 4TB HHDs are configured in a raidz2 (software raid 6) with the SSD configured as a cache (L2ARC).  The array reports 14.2 TiB of usable storage.

Usage

Storage for movies, tv shows, music, etc

Backup

Most of the data on this NAS is available on various hard drives around the house, no real regular backup solution though.

Pictures

attachicon.gifIMG_20130819_031822.jpg

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

Welcome to the forum but ... Why so much ram ????

Thanks!

The ZFS filesystem is a resource hog, it's actually recommended to run at least 1GB of RAM per 1 TB of storage.  Generally speaking the more RAM the better so I figured I would max it out.

Thanks!

The ZFS filesystem is a resource hog, it's actually recommended to run at least 1GB of RAM per 1 TB of storage.  Generally speaking the more RAM the better so I figured I would max it out.

lol, alright, sounds good then.

[...]

Hehe, the two things I would change about my server if I'd known I'd be using ZFS

when I planned it: ECC memory and more of it (I only have 4 GB). Nice! :) 

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to have lots of RAM with ZFS, especially with deduplication

enabled. Of my 4 GB RAM + 4 GB swap ZFS usually takes up about 3 GB (I don't run

deduplication), and that's for 17 TB of storage. It still runs perfectly fine, but

there isn't a lot of headroom.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Welcome to the forum but ... Why so much ram ????

I have a similar setup as him (32GB of ram, 6x3TB drives) and my server uses around 30GB of ram at any given time.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

I have a similar setup as him (32GB of ram, 6x3TB drives) and my server uses around 30GB of ram at any given time.

I assume that is a lot of cache, it is only using that much because it has that much to its disposal ?

I assume that is a lot of cache, it is only using that much because it has that much to its disposal ?

Exactly. By default, the ZFS filesystem will use up to 7/8 of your system memory for caching. (I have a minecraft servers taking up the other few gigs)

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial