Can I use this to clean a CPU and GPU die?

Shaqo_Wyn

Hi guys, I'm opening up a PS3 later today to clean it and apply some fresh MX-4 on the CPU and GPU. 

I don't have the good stuff (isopropyl alcohol) so I was wondering if I can use the thing I do have.

Alcolada Glacial, it can be used on the skin. 

Ingredients: SD Alcohol No. 40B (76%), menthol, fragrance, water. 

I'm expecting to encounter some very hard set 6 year old thermal paste, do you guys think I can use this?

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Hi guys, I'm opening up a PS3 later today to clean it and apply some fresh MX-4 on the CPU and GPU. 

I don't have the good stuff (isopropyl alcohol) so I was wondering if I can use the thing I do have.

Alcolada Glacial, it can be used on the skin. 

Ingredients: SD Alcohol No. 40B (76%), menthol, fragrance, water. 

I'm expecting to encounter some very hard set 6 year old thermal paste, do you guys think I can use this?

No, buy some proper IsoAlc that's 90% or more.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I think you should use a hammer :D

Have you thought about buying a bottle?

No, buy some proper IsoAlc that's 90% or more.

Alrighty, thanks for the input guys. Even if some of it was completely useless because I don't even have a hammer... looking at you GhostWindGamer :P

Being the broke ass university student I am, I was hoping for something among the lines of 'it'll be fine'..

Don't think I can get my hands on isopropyl alcohol though, would 90% pure rubbing alcohol or anything else a hardware store or pharmacy would carry work? (I've checked, they don't have THE GOOD STUFF).

Rubbing alcohol is IPA. Just not pure. Buy the generic stuff as a high of a percentage as you can find. It shouldn't cost you much.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Alrighty, thanks for the input guys. Even if some of it was completely useless because I don't even have a hammer... looking at you GhostWindGamer :P

Being the broke ass university student I am, I was hoping for something among the lines of 'it'll be fine'..

Don't think I can get my hands on isopropyl alcohol though, would 90% pure rubbing alcohol or anything else a hardware store or pharmacy would carry work? (I've checked, they don't have THE GOOD STUFF).

I can get bottles of 91% at my local Dollar General, They can also be found at pharmacies and possibly hardware stores. 

FYI isoalc is commonly called rubbing alcohol

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Yeah,  buying a bottle of >90% alcohol was, what I was talking about. Any will do.

And tbh, I have used  alcohol in the region of brandy (~50%) before and it worked fine. But I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks bruhs! Lemme know if you guys are interested in pics/details of the PS3 breakdown.

To complete the thread, i might add that the mixture you got is not good for cpu cleaning. The menthol and the fragrence will remain on the cpu and not evaporate. This residue can cause worse temps.

There was once a thread where some chemistry student (like i am) summed up a lot of fluids and if they're good for purpose xyz or not. Can't find it on mobile though. :D

who cares...

@Shaqo_Wyn how can you not have a hammer?

'Being the broke ass university student I am'

'Being the broke ass university student I am'

I'm broke and still I have 3 hammers among other things

Maybe that's why you're broke then...

Maybe that's why you're broke then...

Very perceptive of you :D

Then you're a real high roller sir, I can only dream of one day possessing a hammer. 

vodka works. proven, just use something with a high concentration (76%+) of ethanol and methanol. with that much of it, it will just evaporate the water that is with it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Then you're a real high roller sir, I can only dream of one day possessing a hammer.

It's like being a god of smashing shit :D

Thanks for all the help guys. I went to the store and found some cheap 96% alcohol. 

I think you should use a hammer :D

+1

Just plain fire works too.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

3+ tedious hours and 22 EUR later and my PS3 is idling quietly. Dust free and with some fresh MX-4 on the CPU and GPU.

Would've cost me less if I didn't have to head again to buy a T10 Tamper Proof Trox screwdriver, for that one f*cking screw under the warranty tab.

Still have to put it to the real and see if it will run Bioshock 2 without overheating now.

Got to a CVS and ask for isopropanol. In Germany, I had to order a 1 liter Bottle at a pharmacy.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

3+ tedious hours and 22 EUR later and my PS3 is idling quietly. Dust free and with some fresh MX-4 on the CPU and GPU.

Would've cost me less if I didn't have to head again to buy a T10 Tamper Proof Trox screwdriver, for that one f*cking screw under the warranty tab.

Still have to put it to the real and see if it will run Bioshock 2 without overheating now.

It's good that you went to buy isopropanol.  That other stuff probably would have worked, but left some nasty residue behind (something that you don't want, the link in my sig for more info).  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

Got to a CVS and ask for isopropanol. In Germany, I had to order a 1 liter Bottle at a pharmacy.

It's good that you went to buy isopropanol.  That other stuff probably would have worked, but left some nasty residue behind (something that you don't want, the link in my sig for more info).  

They didn't have isopropyl alcohol. I just bought alcohol ketonatus (http://www.kruidvat.nl/kruidvat-96-alcohol-ketonatus/p/2640051), unless that is ispropyl alcohol. :P

It only consists of 96% alcohol and water so I figured it would be fine. It got the job done clean and easy. 

They didn't have isopropyl alcohol. I just bought alcohol ketonatus (http://www.kruidvat.nl/kruidvat-96-alcohol-ketonatus/p/2640051), unless that is ispropyl alcohol. :P

It only consists of 96% alcohol and water so I figured it would be fine. It got the job done clean and easy. 

No that's 96% alcohol with a bit of methanol or similar mixed in.  That should be fine.  Less water is better, but it probably won't cause problems.  

(I've never heard of "alcohol ketonatus" before, and for a moment I thought it was acetone, which would be very bad for cleaning).  

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W