Western Digital Green in Raid 0? Is it worth it ?

Dive5885

Title says it all!

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Green drives in general are not worth it. Especially with any moderate usage.

no not really

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

raid 1 maybe but no not raid 0

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Green drives in general are not worth it. Especially with any moderate usage.

no not really

raid 1 maybe but no not raid 0

Just wanted to ask!

I already have a 1 TB Green drive and I Can get one more for cheap.

So it came to mind maybe I can raid but I guess that was a bad idea!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

Hey Dive5885,

Unfortunately it isn't a good option to put 2 Greens in a RAID. Mainly WD Green Drive is designed for a secondary storage and large capacity. And every time they stop working they are parking their heads. The better choice for the RAID installation is WD RED. But if you have already 2 Greens you can try it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps,

Doctor_WD

I've had two WD Green 2TB's running in my NAS at Raid 1 for over a year now and haven't had a problem. Got them for free so don't really care if they die, they do the job =D WD Red would be best and if I was buying drives for a NAS i'd only choose them but Green's do survive...At least for awhile haha

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

Umm no. Green drives are storange drives so if anything raid 1

And like the community said if you are going to built a RAID it would be RAID 1

Hope this helps,

Doctor_WD

Ehh, they're really just good for mass storage. Maybe r1 for redundancy but I don't think it's really worth it

Hey Dive5885,

Unfortunately it isn't a good option to put 2 Greens in a RAID. Mainly WD Green Drive is designed for a secondary storage and large capacity. And every time they stop working they are parking their heads. The better choice for the RAID installation is WD RED. But if you have already 2 Greens you can try it.

Hope this helps,

Doctor_WD

Sadly the WD Green I Currently have is used for everything,

OS , Storage , Gaming , Projects and also Is on almost 24/7

I got the 1 TB For free so I can really complain on the performance..

So I Thought maybe getting one more would be a better idea and just raid them together and see how it goes.

I Can't afford to get a high capacity SSD so If have any recommendations on which HD would be worth Raiding please let me know!!

Thanks again! 

Green drives are not really meant for RAID configs(especially at RAID 5, 6, 10 and etc). They have a sleep feature that saves power, but also makes raid controllers think they have died early and spit them right out.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Green drives are not really meant for RAID configs(especially at RAID 5, 6, 10 and etc). They have a sleep feature that saves power, but also makes raid controllers think they have died early and spit them right out.

So It would be smart just to upgrade then. 

Maybe the WD Black or Blue ?

no if you want sudden data loss then yea thats perfect

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I would go here with the WD RED Series.. WD RED can operate 24/7 and has reduced power consumption. The new RED is rated for a very impressive six hundred thousand Load/Unload cycles. Black is mainly designed for heavy computing and gaming and Blue one is for everyday usage.

Hope this helps,

Doctor_WD

• 2 weeks later...

If perfomance is the issue get a lower capacity black and put your games or anything you want to load ASAP.It should me equal price maybe. For example a 1 TB black instead of 1,5 or 2 GREEN. It depends what you have what you can get and what you want.

If perfomance is the issue get a lower capacity black and put your games or anything you want to load ASAP.It should me equal price maybe. For example a 1 TB black instead of 1,5 or 2 GREEN. It depends what you have what you can get and what you want.

Well at the moment I have a 1 TB Green & 2 TB Green 

Well at the moment I have a 1 TB Green & 2 TB Green 

Even if you raid them you will lose 1 TB from the  second drive i think. Not worth to do it :) if you can save money get a small . 120 ssd in near future at least for the OS :)

no, I also heard green drives SUCKED at raid and failure in raid was more popular than other drives.

Even if you raid them you will lose 1 TB from the  second drive i think. Not worth to do it :) if you can save money get a small . 120 ssd in near future at least for the OS :)

Yeah I'm saving up for an SSD at the moment!!