Why is Linus mentioning 4K?

filipcro

Just want to point out that 3 monitors in surround = 3/4 of a 4k display.

Another cool thing is that because it's exactly 4x 1080p you can run 1080p without interpolation.

yah ... scaling probaly won't work without interpolation ..

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

For what? Playing games at 10fps?

If the resolution is higher then the pixel density would be higher as well, which means there is less of a need for things like Anti-aliasing. Since AA takes a lot of GPU strength, lowering or turning off AA will allow for a much higher framerate.

For example, my laptop (we all know that even the best laptop GPUs are only comparable to upper/midrange desktop cards) can run most every game I've played on Ultra @ 60 FPS @ 1080p. Why? I have AA either on low or completely off because my pixel density is much higher than a desktop with a large 1080p screen..

So, I'm not really sure why you would say that someone "can barely have 60 fps at 1920*1200 with highest settings on most games even if you have the most expensive GPU you could possibly buy".

It's simply not true.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Why is everyone talking about just gaming?

First of all, the best graphics card on the market can definitely run 1200p at 60fps at least. The Titan can probably run 1440p maxed out. So there is a point to 4K, and it should come to market as soon as possible to keep pushing the tech forward. 

WOW...this guy really didn't do his homework about this issue he's being schooled by everyone.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/SEIKI-SE50UY04-50-4K-3840x2160-TV-Unboxing-and-Preview

games DO support 4k

4k ISNT unplayable, you can get good fps on a 680, and much better now that a 780 is out

just as long as you dont have fxaa and all that fancy stuff

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

WOW...this guy really didn't do his homework about this issue he's being schooled by everyone.

Same thing was said when DVD and Laserdisc came out... HDTV and then again with Blu-Ray.

People swearing up and down that's there's no visible difference, it's all a scam... yadda yadda.

A simple Youtube search will show lots of people playing games in 4k.

Youtube has supported it since 2010.

Not to mention the productivity advantages of higher resolution displays.

Running triple 4k monitors would be awesome. You could have so much open.

Running triple 4k monitors would be awesome.

now that would take some gpu horsepower

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

4k huh! until a single GPU comes out that can play 4k games then i'm not interested. i just hope the icons are not tiny i like big fat icons like on a 1024 res

lives on

BAKABT

4k huh! until a single GPU comes out that can play 4k games then i'm not interested. i just hope the icons are not tiny i like big fat icons like on a 1024 res

I hear you on the icons being tiny but I think all that is customizable in Windows me personally I like my desktop @ 1366x768.

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.3Ghz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 770 Lightning @ 1300Mhz CC and 8000Mhz MC | Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 | PSU: Corsair AX850 | OS: Windows 8.1

4k huh! until a single GPU comes out that can play 4k games then i'm not interested

they can

now that would take some gpu horsepower

Well, for productivity, it wouldn't.

Well, for productivity, it wouldn't.

thats true

They can and there are plenty of videos on Youtube of people doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXBu9nxLN78