EA has 3 year plan, wants 'player-first culture'

rafbanaan

I totally understood what you meant originally. However, I was just playing devil's advocate with my previous comment for the sake of debating. Personally, I absolutely hate using Origin and I would prefer if Battlefield 4 was a Steamworks title. With that being said, why can't EA and other like-minded companies just give us the OPTION to use their service?

If they're so adamant about the end user using their software, give us an incentive such as: purchase discounts, exclusive items and etc; much like how the console manufacturers do. At the end of the day, Valve created a piece of software that has standardized the industry that many use.

*applause*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Who am I to tell them they are being ripped off? An informed consumer. Nice to meet you. So you'd rather pay extra (ontop of your ISP) to play a game online?

But you're not though. I have PS3. I have it because I'm a fan of Sony's first party games. The Last of Us, Uncharted, Infamous, LBB etc. So who are you to tell me, for example, that I'm being ripped off? Is it because the games are not running at 1080 ~ Ultra Setting @ 60 fps? Well I don't care about that.

Remember that the 18.92% of the people on Steam have Intel Graphics GPU's. The three most popular GPU's on there are Intel HD Graphics 4000, 300, 2000, the average VRAM is 1GB,  and ~ 65% play at a resolution below 1080p.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

But you're not though. I have PS3. I have it because I'm a fan of Sony's first party games. The Last of Us, Uncharted, Infamous, LBB etc. So who are you to tell me, for example, that I'm being ripped off? Is it because the games are not running at 1080 ~ Ultra Setting @ 60 fps? Well I don't care about that.

Remember that the 18.92% of the people on Steam have Intel Graphics GPU's. The three most popular GPU's on there are Intel HD Graphics 4000, 300, 2000, the average VRAM is 1GB,  and ~ 65% play at a resolution below 1080p.

Your being ripped off because there is absolutely no reason for those games to only be on PS3, other than Sony wanting to force you to buy their shitty console in order to play them

I totally understood what you meant originally. However, I was just playing devil's advocate with my previous comment for the sake of debating. Personally, I absolutely hate using Origin and I would prefer if Battlefield 4 was a Steamworks title. With that being said, why can't EA and other like-minded companies just give us the OPTION to use their service?

If they're so adamant about the end user using their software, give us an incentive such as: purchase discounts, exclusive items and etc; much like how the console manufacturers do. At the end of the day, Valve created a piece of software that has standardized the industry that many use. If you, as developer, want me to purchase your software on your service, then fine; give me a reason to. Otherwise, releasing it on Steam won't hurt.

Fair enough, but why do you hate using Origin? I have 33 games on there versus the 76 I have on Steam. 9 of those I got from the Humble Origin Bundle. 3 - 4 from the Free Games that EA gives away once in a while: this includes Dead Space 3, Sims 3 and Plants and Zombies. Another 11 is a Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection which I got for 5 dollars.

All in all I think I spent 90 dollars for all those games. I think that's a nice discount. I never paid full price for any of the games.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

Your being ripped off because there is absolutely no reason for those games to only be on PS3, other than Sony wanting to force you to buy their shitty console in order to play them

You irrational console-hate is fascinating. You're so preoccupied by what other people are doing. Yo claim that first party releases are forcing people into buying consoles, but you're at the same time arguing that publishers should drop support for consoles: so in the end people will be forced to buy PC's instead of the cheaper consoles that they're happy with. Hypothetically trading one forced system for another. Does the irony not strike you?

You are aware that even Valve releases their games on the consoles, right. And I absolutely reject your premise that the only way to play video games is on the PC. It's hogwash. Absolutely hogwash.

You irrational console-hate is fascinating. You're so preoccupied by what other people are doing. Yo claim that first party releases are forcing people into buying consoles, but you're at the same time arguing that publishers should drop support for consoles: so in the end people will be forced to buy PC's instead of the cheaper consoles that they're happy with. Hypothetically trading one forced system for another. Does the irony not strike you?

You are aware that even Valve releases their games on the consoles, right. And I absolutely reject your premise that the only way to play video games is on the PC. It's hogwash. Absolutely hogwash.

While you are right, that it is ironic. Although it is justified by PC beating console in every single way. You can easily build a $400 dollar PC that whoops both consoles. And the simple fact is, it would be trivial to make a PC use every controller out there. PC is infinitely capable, where as console is entirely limited as to what they want you to play, and how they want you to play it. FFS you can play through entire games using the WRONG TYPE OF CONTROLLER

There is no excuse for console other than laziness. "I don't feel like learning how to build a pc" "I don't feel like having to have the minimal intelligence it takes to update drivers".

Not to mention that on average, PC games are cheaper, faster. And that we only have to pay for an ISP to play online for most of them (barring subscription MMO's). Whereas if you want to play online on console, you have to pay extra because.....reasons?

Consoles cater to, and provide for the existence of the lowest common denominator.

Edit: Also you are talking to a raving halo fanatic (for the campaign, hate the multiplayer). So yeah fuck console exclusives. They are a selling point, nothing more, there is no reason for them. They are the only reason Nintendo is still relevant (granted they sorta deserve it)

You are aware that every game that has been released the year he has been a CEO has been under development longer before his arrival, correct?

It's not like they had all the finished products sitting around for a couple years before releasing them. A lot of development was done in the year he was CEO, and may have been responsible for many of the decisions we gamers find disagreeable. Postponing the release by a few weeks to iron out bugs is not something that is deciding upon 2 years in advance.

their "player-first" culture is players' money first.

Fair enough, but why do you hate using Origin? I have 33 games on there versus the 76 I have on Steam. 9 of those I got from the Humble Origin Bundle. 3 - 4 from the Free Games that EA gives away once in a while: this includes Dead Space 3, Sims 3 and Plants and Zombies. Another 11 is a Command and Conquer The Ultimate Collection which I got for 5 dollars.

All in all I think I spent 90 dollars for all those games. I think that's a nice discount. I never paid full price for any of the games.

There is absolutely nothing on the market that rivals Steam. The experience is vastly superior. Everything is properly integrated and seamless, because of Valve's historical focus on the PC. It is my platform of choice when it comes to gaming. I have 101 games on my account to date and 1 on Origin (Battlefield 4), which will be the last time I make a purchase for the latter.

Wake me up when Origin is no longer required. Won't touch anything EA until then.

There is absolutely nothing on the market that rivals Steam. The experience is vastly superior. Everything is properly integrated and seamless, because of Valve's historical focus on the PC. It is my platform of choice when it comes to gaming. I have 101 games on my account to date and 1 on Origin (Battlefield 4), which will be the last time I make a purchase for the latter.

Valve: enemy of developers, friend of users. What else is new? I refuse to support Valve when they take 30% of a sale. That's exorbitant. 15% is reasonable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Valve: enemy of developers, friend of users. What else is new? I refuse to support Valve when they take 30% of a sale. That's exorbitant. 15% is reasonable.

even at 30% they still take less than consoles.

Wake me up when Origin is no longer required. Won't touch anything EA until then.

oh and why is that? does origin provide an inferior service to say, steam? does it not allow you to LITERALLY only run your fucking game and be done with it, like a program like steam is designed to do

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Is this a DLC?

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

oh and why is that? does origin provide an inferior service to say, steam? does it not allow you to LITERALLY only run your fucking game and be done with it, like a program like steam is designed to do

At this point it's not about how well it runs. Having steam is enough bloatware. I don't want a game lib for each game dev,

Same thing for UPlay. Haven't touched anything ubisoft since it came out. Same thing for the WB one if it comes out.

At this point it's not about how well it runs. Having steam is enough bloatware. I don't want a game lib for each game dev,

Same thing for UPlay. Haven't touched anything ubisoft since it came out. Same thing for the WB one if it comes out.

you can always just you know... kill the process when youre done playing. -.- youre just limiting your game library because you are stubborn. :(

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

you can always just you know... kill the process when youre done playing. -.- youre just limiting your game library because you are stubborn. :(

well too bad i can't kill the process while i play. I don't think i'm being stubborn for not wanting bloatware. Are nexus users stubborn because they don't want samsungs or the others bloatware on their phones?

well too bad i can't kill the process while i play. I don't think i'm being stubborn for not wanting bloatware. Are nexus users stubborn because they don't want samsungs or the others bloatware on their phones?

No, that's different because that bloat ware doesn't improve anything. And what difference does it make if you have steam or origin open when you game...

Is it just me or does EA really get better? I'm not going to comment on things they promise, but what they already did, mainly in respect to BF4. We all know how bad the launch was and that it was too early, but look how much money they dedicated to improving the game, things like CTE aren't free and cooperation with the community was pretty unheard of with this company before too. They also seem to have learned from their mistakes by delaying titles instead of milking cash from unfinished product. Continue like this EA and I see a bright future with you.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Well for a start, you could let your developers finish their games before releasing them. Looking at you, BF4.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

No, that's different because that bloat ware doesn't improve anything. And what difference does it make if you have steam or origin open when you game...

Origin doesn't improve anything either. By all accounts in the best case scenario it's as if it isn't there at worse you can't play your game.

Origin doesn't improve anything either. By all accounts in the best case scenario it's as if it isn't there at worse you can't play your game.

i havent had it fail on me, and neither has any of my friends. but ill say this. whatever fucking floats your goat. if you dont wanna play the games, just because it means 5 more clicks than if it was on steam, and a few more megabytes of disk space... your loss.