VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.3 Standard

qwertywarrior

http://www.techpowerup.com/205265/vesa-releases-displayport-1-3-standard.html

DisplayPort 1.3 continues to support video conversion to VGA, DVI and HDMI. DisplayPort 1.3 adds support for HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 with CEC (Consumer Electronics Control), which enhances DisplayPort's utility for television applications, including 4K video with copy protection. The new standard adds support for the 4:2:0 pixel structure, a video format commonly used on consumer digital television interfaces, which enables support for future 8K x 4K displays.

DisplayPort 1.3 also enhances DisplayPort's value for multi-function interfaces that combine data transport, A/V transport and other capabilities on a single cable. It further refines protocols that enable DisplayPort to share a single cable with other data types. With its higher 8.1 Gbps per-lane link rate, DisplayPort 1.3 can support a single UHD monitor with 60Hz refresh and 24-bit color over two lanes, while assigning the remaining two lanes to increase capacity for alternate data types, such as SuperSpeed USB data, as allowed in DockPort. DisplayPort is the A/V transport standard used by DockPort, Thunderbolt and other wired and wireless multi-function interface standards.

"While becoming a mainstream video standard, DisplayPort continues to be at the cutting edge of A/V transport," said VESA Board of Directors Chair Alan Kobayashi, Fellow & Executive R&D Management for DisplayPort Group at MegaChips Technology America. "These new enhancements to DisplayPort will facilitate both higher resolution displays, as well as easier integration of DisplayPort into multi-protocol data transports, which will satisfy consumer's desire for simplicity and ease-of-use."

The DisplayPort standard is offered to VESA members without any license fee.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I wonder when we will begin to see DP 1.3 devices? 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I wonder when we will begin to see DP 1.3 devices? 

probably 2015

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i hope they start putting DP on TV's now, i know is very hard for it to replace HDMI atm but would be nice if it was complementary to it like a tv that has 3 hdmi inputs and one DP

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

i hope they start putting DP on TV's now, i know is very hard for it to replace HDMI atm but would be nice if it was complementary to it like a tv that has 3 hdmi inputs and one DP

Get console makers onboard.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i just wish display-port was the standard. everything seems to sue HDMI, all because of that weird command transfer function that i have never seen being used before.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

the people on the HDMI "board" are big players and they will never let go off HDMI because of the royalties they get from them

i dont think they will even consider it

A bunch of people the other day were trying to convince me that HDMI is still relevant..

Yeah, about that.. Dunno why they kept ignoring me when I mentioned DP. I'm just gonna assume that way too many people are clueless and that's why HDMI is still a thing.

the people on the HDMI "board" are big players and they will never let go off HDMI because of the royalties they get from them

i dont think they will even consider it

i know this, its why i said to be complementary , i ain't going to kill them to put at least one DP on a 55" TV plagued with HDMI's inputs

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

lol displayport supports HDMI 2.0 BEFORE HDMI 2.0 is even out XDDD

watch we start to see people using adapters since HDMI 2 is still being delayed next year...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

A bunch of people the other day were trying to convince me that HDMI is still relevant..

Yeah, about that.. Dunno why they kept ignoring me when I mentioned DP. I'm just gonna assume that way too many people are clueless and that's why HDMI is still a thing.

Yep, people that arent interesting in the computer side of things have no idea what DP even is. Its sad really.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

display port should be the first connector added to any device then they can add everything else

Guess VESA isn't pushing Adaptive Sync on 1.3.

It looks like it should support it.  The clue here is: "... video (A/V) standard. An update to the widely used DisplayPort 1.2a standard...". 

Rock On!

Guess VESA isn't pushing Adaptive Sync on 1.3.

AS is on 1.2a and this just upgrades.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i got a 20MP camera, would like to take so awesome photos for my wallpaper :D 

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

So that's why 980 has 3x DP.

To be fair the leap to DP over HDMI/DVI needs to happen for PCs.

I really don't understand why graphics cards have 2x DVI ports. 1 HDMI and 2-3x DP ports should be standard. Asus' Area III is dumb, since it only has 1 DP port, supporting only 1 Adaptive Sync monitor. Makes no sense. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I really don't understand why graphics cards have 2x DVI ports. 1 HDMI and 2-3x DP ports should be standard. Asus' Area III is dumb, since it only has 1 DP port, supporting only 1 Adaptive Sync monitor. Makes no sense. 

actually 3 AS monitors. display port can be daisied up to 3 displays with 1080/1440p iirc

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

actually 3 AS monitors. display port can be daisied up to 3 displays with 1080/1440p iirc

Not sure is AS can support saisychaining though? I don't know. But 3x monitors @1440 and 60+fps? 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Not sure is AS can support saisychaining though? I don't know. But 3x monitors @1440 and 60+fps? 

it should. and 1.3 will be able to 1440p from one port for sure.