Do people here want an explanation of power/electricity?

Marvzl1357

Hullo,

Just watched the recent techquickie video and the top voted comment was something like "Explain the difference between volts, amps, and watts." 

I was wondering if the people here knew the difference between them and how they are related, and if people would like an explanation on it. 

If you do want an explanation, reply saying you want an explanation and I'll tag you if I make the full explanation post. I'll put the post in the Guides and Tutorials section.

Edit: It seems like the general consensus is a no, so I won't be making a post. 

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

This is what wikipedia is for. Even if you explain it, most people will still not understand what volts/amps/watts are.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sure, why not. People are too stubborn to learn or read.

Exactly. So making a post about it for them to read and learn from would be completely ineffective.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Exactly. So making a post about it for them to read and learn from would be completely ineffective.

That's why we need a video.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

It'd be good because I'm only in grade 9.

I know (and is probably wrong) that volts is the amount of electricity and amps is the pressure of it.

Watts is volts/time (in seconds I think)

See what I mean? A TechQuickie of it would be helpful.

No OP what I want is for companies selling video cards to list TDP since that is a very relevant thing when picking out a card.  Don't just list PSU requirement.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

That's why we need a video.

OP is saying he is going to write a post about it. If you want to recommend something for a techquickie video, there is a special topic for your recommendations.

Spoiler

Hullo,

Just watched the recent techquickie video and the top voted comment was something like "Explain the difference between volts, amps, and watts." 

I was wondering if the people here knew the difference between them and how they are related, and if people would like an explanation on it. 

If you do want an explanation, reply saying you want an explanation and I'll tag you when I make the full explanation post. I'll put the post in the Guides and Tutorials section.

Edit: I'll be back in 2 hours (got class)

By you? No.

The only people that will read it will

A) Will have already looked it up (seriously you can get the basics down in 5 minutes)

B) Don't care

C) Already know

V = dE/dQ, I = dQ/dt, P = VI = dE/dt

Was that as fast as possible?

Now imagine hearing that for the first time except in Russian

needlessly making things difficult.

I'm probably going to come out of physics more proficient in faking a Russian accent than electricity and magnetism

besides I don't think I trust Linus to teach about electricity beyond what can already be summarized in a sentence or two. (not video worthy content)

Error: 410

V = dE/dQ, I = dQ/dt, P = VI = dE/dt

Was that as fast as possible?

This is faster, just 3 letters.

dcp24.gif

Spoiler

Well, I'm currently in an Electrical Engineering course, I can post my 500+ page book "basics of electrical engineering" if you like :D .

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

It'd be good because I'm only in grade 9.

I know (and is probably wrong) that volts is the amount of electricity and amps is the pressure of it.

Watts is volts/time (in seconds I think)

See what I mean? A TechQuickie of it would be helpful.

Wrong.

Volts is the electrical equivalant of pressure and Amperage is the amount of electric current. Think of amperage as water in a pipe, voltage is the pressure, and watts is how much water can flow through the pipe at any given time. You are kinda sorta right about wattage.

I am in grade 10 and Ive never taken physics but that does not mean you can't use google, or just go ask your school physics teacher to explain it to you. Teachers love to explain things to people who actually want to learn :)

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Wrong.

Volts is the electrical equivalant of pressure and Amperage is the amount of electric current. Think of amperage as water in a pipe, voltage is the pressure, and watts is how much water can flow through the pipe at any given time. You are kinda sorta right about wattage.

Thank you for proving my point.

Therefore, a TechQuickie on this topic would be very helpful.

I'll just leave this here

ohms-watts_law.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

well, I'll still make a post about it, just for future reference in case someone wants an explanation.

There currently seems to be about ...uh...3 people wanting an explanation....

Actually, no I won't, it seems the large majority (people who replied to this post) seems to not want it

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Now imagine hearing that for the first time except in Russian

needlessly making things difficult.

I'm probably going to come out of physics more proficient in faking a Russian accent than electricity and magnetism

besides I don't think I trust Linus to teach about electricity beyond what can already be summarized in a sentence or two. (not video worthy content)

Lol if it were an NCIX video that could be arranged :P Also I see what you mean, I think Taran would suit this kind of video more than Linus.

Well no just because you were wrong does not mean there should be a techquickie video. I knew the answer and am in the same position as you.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

you don't need a techquickie on Electricity. Here's the explanation.

Water through a pipe/down a river

Amps = how much water is flowing down the river
Volts = how much potential energy the water has, i.e. how far it will flow off a ledge
Watts = how much force the water carries with it, i.e what sort of stuff it can push out of it's way.

People have demonstrated on this forum time and time again that they don't want to learn new things. It's the whole reason everybody here is still stuck on Windows.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /