Samsung 840 Evo SSD Performance Degradation

eJoculate

Reposy

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

http://www.eteknix.com/samsung-bug-evo-840-ssd/

Bug is causing extremely low speeds when reading old data.

PS: Still using hard drives and loving every second of it.

Use hard drives all you want, I've saved years in loading and start up time. Love hard drives for mass storage but ssd for boot and games everyday!! 

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

The title for this is a bit misleading. Its not degradation as such... Its just how the Toggle NAND works, as to why old data gets such low speeds only Samsung could answer that.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Use hard drives all you want, I've saved years in loading and start up time. Love hard drives for mass storage but ssd for boot and games everyday!! 

I don't boot up and as for gaming SSDs hardly help at all and in most cases not at all.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I looked for this topic to see if it was posted and didn't find it.  Mods take it down.  

It's good practice to shut your PC down every so often and not merely rely on sleep. Having been using an SSD for just over a month now the difference is phenomenal.

I don't boot up and as for gaming SSDs hardly help at all and in most cases not at all.

SSDs hardly help at all......uh yeah sure ok. This guy ^

Until you use ssd for a boot drive or gaming dont comment cause you have no experience with it.

Corsair 750D | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 9590 | Kingston HyperX 16GB@1866MHz | MSI R9 290X Lightning | Seasonic 1050W Platinum | 2x WD 3TB Green HDD | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD | Crucial 512GB SSD 

Alphacool XT45 360mm | Alphacool Monsta 280mm | Silverstone AP121 | Silverstone AP141 | EK Supremacy Elite | EK ASUS C5F-Z | EK R9-290X Lightning | EK 3/8-1/2 Nickel | XSPC D5 Acrylic Tank | Primochill 3/8-1/2 

Well, I knew TLC nand wasn't a good idea. But at least a fix is underway.

So, I guess the temporary fix, is to defrag your SSD, once and while.

This should shift data everywhere and rectify the problem until a fix is available.

SSDs hardly help at all......uh yeah sure ok. This guy ^

Until you use ssd for a boot drive or gaming dont comment cause you have no experience with it.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.  Again for gaming it hardly helps at all and as for a boot drive I know what it does for boot times but like I said I don't need a faster boot time.  Geezus.

It's good practice to shut your PC down every so often and not merely rely on sleep. Having been using an SSD for just over a month now the difference is phenomenal.

Even if I shut my pcs off I would not buy an SSD to have faster boot times.  Also I have no reason to shut off my pcs I am not paying for the electric bill.

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.  Again for gaming it hardly helps at all and as for a boot drive I know what it does for boot times but like I said I don't need a faster boot time.  Geezus.

Do you have an ssd at all in your system? If you dont then you have no idea if how fast ssds are. At all. 

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Again for gaming it hardly helps at all and as for a boot drive I know what it does for boot times but like I said I don't need a faster boot time. Geezus.

Yeah you do, or the memory leaks from your browser will fill up your RaM and kill your HDD faster. Shutting down and rebooting is good for your performance.

Also, it helps a lot with games. Load screens practically disappear except for online ones where you need other player data.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yeah you do, or the memory leaks from your browser will fill up your RaM and kill your HDD faster. Shutting down and rebooting is good for your performance.

Also, it helps a lot with games. Load screens practically disappear except for online ones where you need other player data.

Ah yes hard drives are dropping dead all over the place from what you said.  Uh ... no ...

As for loading screens whatever man.

I also find general OS responsiveness goes up plus no annoying clicking sound under my bed when my rig is doing F@H overnight ;)

Hard drives meh, I swapped my WD10EZRX for a 840 evo 1TB because it was so noisy. My 840 evo has the same performance bug but I don't really care about performance for a storage drive.

I'm glad you love every second of it, because there are so many :)

I had so many that I started calling them minutes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Even if I shut my pcs off I would not buy an SSD to have faster boot times.  Also I have no reason to shut off my pcs I am not paying for the electric bill.

What a waste of power. I could never do that. At least help out the person who is paying the bills (however small a difference it may make). 

What a waste of power. I could never do that. At least help out the person who is paying the bills (however small a difference it may make). 

For the record I almost never have the lights on and I don't leave the tv on when I am not using it.  I do understand trying to limit costs in regards to power use and such.  Also until recently I had power saving features on for all my pcs.

Related to burning thru resources/something to consider:

The "average" home in the US:

#1 Juicer = A/C and Heating

#2 Lighting (it's pooled, but 2012 "avg. home=60ish lightbulbs)

Then washer-dryer, fridge and all those 2x 2000W "pewter" rated PSUs.

Anyway, it took me a little less then 1 year to switch every damned CFL/Incandescent bulb in my place over to the newer (2nd/3rd gen) LED bulbs. 65w equiv. floods were the most expensive (30-35$ each) 60w 2700k incandescent equivalents=15-18$.

Expensive right? Well...

I about flipped my lid when I saw the y/y electric bill difference. Despite 'ol lectric raising rates by 5-8%/KWh mid year, according to the bill total electricity use was down by 33%. I used to carry the bill in my wallet to nudge ppl into considering a "switch". Oh yeah, for those unfamiliar with the good LED Bulbs: I'll be dead by the time the bulbs burn out, if the numbers are genuine. Cool to touch+you can drop one from 6' onto concrete and the thing will just bounce. Newer models are filled with silicon goo...and others, the heavy duty ones are in a container, hermetically zipped, stopping any transfer of heat, saving A/C $$.

I was never a green type but I am familiar with commodities, the finite ones which are war-causal. Not appropriate to go into falsified USGS data and related things, but hey, look at Gazprom...and Qatar and...etc etc.

$£€1000 well spent. Plus, no lingering guilt re: 10x 5000PSU (rated Clay).

If you're on a fixed tariff, it won't make a difference. However if you're not, it does.

100 watts per hour (as a rough number for a mid-spec pc) x 8 hours of inactivity (user sleeping) = 800Wh per day = roughly 300KWh yearly.

Over here electricity is roughly €0.25 per KWh, meaning I'd be wasting around €0.20 per day or € 75 each year for leaving it on at night.

Then there's also the extra wear on the PC components and the carbon footprint from producing so much electricity which is then wasted. You may think that won't matter because it's only a little bit, but if a million people do it, it's not just a little bit anymore.

If you really are going to leave the PC on overnight, at least let it do something useful. Plenty of science facilities have applications that you can install to allow them to use your PC's computing power for their scientific research. At least that way it's helping to cure some disease or something similarly interesting when you're not using it. If you're not worried about the electricity bill anyway, the extra electricity needed to power a core or two won't make a difference after all.

What kind of computer uses 100W while sleeping? Hell, what does that while idle? Does an average PC even use that much from web browsing!?

This is going to be *REALLY* bad if the datacenter TLC drives they have experience the same issues. I'm getting about 40-50 megabytes per second transfers on a three month old file on my 1TB EVO and about 400-500 on a 15 day old set of files.