Samsung 840 Evo SSD Performance Degradation

eJoculate

I have a crucial m500.  Will I be experiencing similar issues?

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

Well, I knew TLC nand wasn't a good idea. But at least a fix is underway.

So, I guess the temporary fix, is to defrag your SSD, once and while.

This should shift data everywhere and rectify the problem until a fix is available.

I thought it was bad to defrag a SSD, otherwise should I just defrag my 840 evo?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I thought it was bad to defrag a SSD, otherwise should I just defrag my 840 evo?

It was bad with the early SSDs, but today's SSDs are far more resistant.

Of course, these are TLC chips so writes are limited, but once and while, I don't think it does any harm that will be noticeable, unless you plan to keep the SD pass 5 year.

Well that is a very bad news.I thought that the 840 EVO was the best SSD for money.But.....God Damn it fellas!.

Samsung is working on a firmware update just wait for that. If you need the performance now then yeah defrag it. It will lower the lifespan however due to the rewrite but not much.

I have a crucial m500.  Will I be experiencing similar issues?

No. This is limited to the two TLC-based SSDs from Samsung, and a firmware fix is on the way.

Well that is a very bad news.I thought that the 840 EVO was the best SSD for money.But.....God Damn it fellas!.

The Crucial MX100 took the throne as the best SSD for money a few months ago.

The Crucial MX100 took the throne as the best SSD for money a few months ago.

oh...I was actually in the cave few months before.

• 3 weeks later...

Firmware update is available now, it took a little over 35 minutes to run on my EVO with 126 of 250GB used. The download is under 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software on this page.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

i5 4690k  -  MSI Z97M Gaming  -  GTX 970  -  Kingston HyperX Savage  -  Samsung 840 EVO  -  Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

It is stated in the instructions that it will shutdown the computer after firmware installation. Does it reset the computer or does it need to be turned on manually after shutdown?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630

It is stated in the instructions that it will shutdown the computer after firmware installation. Does it reset the computer or does it need to be turned on manually after shutdown?

Manually turned on.

Thanks. I'm at work currently and was thinking about installing it through teamviewer.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 SSD: Samsung EVO 840 120GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue PSU: Corsair RM1000 Case: NZXT Phantom 630

So does this affect all the 840 EVOs? I just built a new system and I haven't experienced this yet but I guess it will appear eventually. Has anyone lost data when applying this fix? I read that there's a chance but any info on the rate of success on this?

So does this affect all the 840 EVOs? I just built a new system and I haven't experienced this yet but I guess it will appear eventually. Has anyone lost data when applying this fix? I read that there's a chance but any info on the rate of success on this?

Yes, it affects all 840 EVOs.  And saying there is a risk at data loss is just what all firmware updates on storage devices say because there is a small risk.  I updated my 500GB OS/Steam game EVO without any data loss.  Still, if you have important information you don't want to lose, back it up before doing this.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the price drops for the cybermonday and such I've been looking at these.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive/1340

But from what I see, the *fix* is still up in the air on whether its really a complete fix.

Ah well, just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows more or to sorta warn people to be careful.

• 2 months later...