Samsung 840 Evo SSD Performance Degradation

eJoculate

Where the hell is the performance degradation anyway? It doesn't look like anything. On top of that they only tested one ssd. If they want to be conclusive why not test a thousand?

Please tell me more about how TLC NAND is a wise choice.

At this price point we now have the Crucial MX100 with a solid controller and MLC flash, yet still people flock to 840 EVO in droves, why?

amongst the people in the forum: because Linus has promoted the crap out of them

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Used defraggler on my 840 evo and it did increase performance pretty noticeable. About 100mb/s

Restarts and startups are almost instant again. I have noticed them slowing down over time.

I'll put some screen shots when I get home. Seems like defraging is the only solution right now. Otherwise a clean install is the other.

since its just happening on the EVO drives then TLC might not be the culprut since the pro and the standard model is also TLC.

Well, this is not true. The Pro is using MLC.

OsrwnqW.jpg

nBNAIZ8.gif

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

Well, this is not true. The Pro is using MLC.

OsrwnqW.jpg

nBNAIZ8.gif

yes i stand corrected

but still since the standard 840 is TLC and doesnt suffer from the issue

then it could be the queued TRIM issue

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Decided to test my 250gb 840 EVO:

5gqfmw0.png

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

HNqJNyt.png

EGZxf3R.png

On Sata2... The drive shows this extremely slow (~1MB/s) speed when trying to copy old files using explorer.

I very much regret buying 2 of these EVO drives. They are the worst storage choice I've ever made after buying dozens of drives from various manufacturers.

I read the entire thread on overclock and there were a lot of examples of this happening specifically on the EVO series drives.  An interesting theory was posted by Brainsplatter:

EVO bug theory in short:
- Flash cells can only sustain a limited number of write cycles (writing requires erasing the flash cell)
- If all static data/files would stay in the flash cells to which they have been written to originally, the remaining flash cells would have to endure all the write cycles for changing data and would quickly wear out
- That's why all SSD reorganize old data and writes them into different flash cells, in order to spread the necessary erase cycles as evenly as possible over all flash cells. This is called wear leveling

And if the EVO has a bug in the wear leveling which causes the old data to be rearranged in a disadvantageous configuration for reading (e.g. they are all put into the same flash block so that there is no parallel block reading possible), that would explain the results we see here.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

HNqJNyt.png

EGZxf3R.png

On Sata2... The drive shows this extremely slow (~1MB/s) speed when trying to copy old files using explorer.

I very much regret buying 2 of these EVO drives. They are the worst storage choice I've ever made after buying dozens of drives from various manufacturers.

Defrag the drive and see if it increases performance. It did for me.

people flocked to the evo because it was a verry good ssd for the money and this was backed up by many site and reviewers all over the web.  has this been confirmed yet?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Damn and I just got mine Friday. Should I return it and look for another drive?

One of the reasons I never bought a 840 Evo when people strongly recommended it to me. I got a 512 850 pro. :D

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I have a 120GB 840 Evo. Interesting topic. I did the FileBench test. My Evo is used as my boot drive (Windows 7) and as my games (Steam) partition. Therefore, since it is not a "data drive", there is usually not too old files. At least, not as much as my 500GB WD Black.

The issue is happening on my Evo as well. For exemple, it is happening on most Skyrim files. I haven't played Skyrim for many months and it was the first game I have downloaded after getting the drive last Christmas. I jump from >450mb/s on Civ5 files to ~40mb/s on Skyrim files. On my boot partition, it is pretty random. Some files are slow (old) and some are fast.

I am sure Samsung will address this issue in a new firmware. I doubt this is something not fixable. If it is, then the new 850 Pro are interesting...and 10 years warranty.

Damn and I just got mine Friday. Should I return it and look for another drive?

I definitely would do that if I were you. Get a Crucial MX100 man.

I wonder if the 840 pro will experience this sort of thing.............

highly unlikely, different type of flash used. 

Guess that explains this then:

ibtGRzczPNByoc.png

do you have trim enabled? try running it manually and see if that helps. 

Just did a test on my 840 (not evo or pro) and my old file reads were like 40 MB/s after a defrag now its saying random reads are 500+ MB/s so maybe that's why my boot times are slowing down. I have 10.74 TB of writes to my SSD and it should be ok for over 500TB so my life spand seems to be fine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I did same test on my both Evo 250GB drives. Results are just as others show. Mind you I did same test on Crucial M4 that I had for few years and same slowdown in the beginning of this boot drive is clearly visible. Samsung 840 Evo was purchased just a month back though.

Trying to get them replaced with Intel. In future I would rather go stable and trusted than cheap, fast and cheerful for a month. Lesson learned.

Did anyone contact samsung about this?

| Lenovo ThinkPad E530 -- I5-3210M -- Nvidia 630M -- 4GB RAM -- 840 EVO 120GB SSD |

I'm reading the replies and see people bashing Samsung and how this product is cheap. I disagree. The 840 Evo is a fantastic product even if there is this issue. It is probably something they can fix over a firmware update so guys, stop bashing Samsung. If Samsung does not address the issue in the next months, then we can bash them. There would be not point not to fix this (if it is fixable), since the 840 Evo is still under warranty.

SSDs are still new to the computers world compared to the good old hard drives. And, SSDs use much more electronics than the hard drives, so there is much more programming. Issues happens. Don't you remember OCZ and their SSDs with the Sandforce BSODs ? Or Crucial few years ago with their M4 that was restarting each hour after 5000 power on time ? I think the Evo issue is quite minimal compared to these. I can stil continue to use my computer properly even if some files are a bit slower.

I am not happy about it, but I am not mad either. I'll just wait for the Magician to let me know that there is a new firmware available. Until then, I'll make sure to backup my data properly, just in case ;)

I only skimmed the OP and I looked at the first couple posts.

I have an 840pro in my system, and the other day my system would just not boot. Everything was slow as hell and completely just broken. Somewhere in the middle of that my main HDD's pagefile (or the file that tells the computer where things are on the drive, I thought that was what it was called) was just lost somehow so it shows as empty (doing recovery now) and i've had to re-install Windows. Doing that took FOREVER for it to try to do anything, but once Windows was installed it seems like it's doing fine.

I thought this was a problem with something else but maybe this is related.

Also the PC had no problems until I restarted the computer for updates (with the PC being on nonstop for a few weeks since the last restart, having never been fully off for a month or so) and a couple wonky things that were happening. And then it just started going downhill.

I tried it with my older 840 Pro just to see what results I would get. I figured since it is the smaller size it should preform the worse out of the Pro line of SSDs. 

While the top speed isn't up there it does hold it's speed throughout.

post-49415-0-84541100-1410782312.jpg

I have the non pro/evo 840 128GB SSD. Have never noticed any slow downs. Still boots/restarts very quickly. I've had it for a year now and have never run defrag on it.

Guess the non pro/evo 840's are safe from this issue.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS