LTT 3DMark Thread

That won't happen when you move up the food chain. Then you need any & every advantage you can get. But everybody has different priorities, so they can judge the best for themselves. All I can do is point out the correct facts.

Peace. :)

If you can wait sometime, maybe that'll change. I will shoot you a PM whenever I see the Champion in stock, if you haven't made your purchase by that time.

I have read that they might get themselves in trouble because Asus holds a patent for this OC socket. I am not sure if we will see that in the near future. And I care about Physics scores a lot. Why bother to get a good 5960X sample and then limit yourself with the mainboard. But the real question is really DOES this socket influence OC potential of the CPU using water cooling or do we just see an advantage in LN2 over other boards. And why could Shih achieve 6.6GHz on the AS Rock not having this OC socket?

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I have read that they might get themselves in trouble because Asus holds a patent for this OC socket. I am not sure if we will see that in the near future. And I care about Physics scores a lot. Why bother to get a good 5960X sample and then limit yourself with the mainboard. But the real question is really DOES this socket influence OC potential of the CPU using water cooling or do we just see an advantage in LN2 over other boards. And why could Shih achieve 6.6GHz on the AS Rock not having this OC socket?

It only affects the Uncore clocks, Core is still fine that's why Nick Shih did 6.6Ghz. He was still doing probably only 3.8G on the Uncore.

And that Uncore advantage translate to air, water or ln2, everywhere.

Coincidental side story, just last week I was thinking of picking up a Champion on the off-chance that I might go to X99 this summer, or I could have always sold it to some PRO OCer if my plans fell through. I was assuming that it might be a limited run board. Looks like I was right. I could have probably sold the board to you if I had bought it.

Edit:- I just checked my previous posts, God dammit, I hate myself that for all the past few hours we are having this discussion I never once explicitly stated that the OC Socket only affects the Uncore clock. I feel like running into a wall. I AM SO MADDDD..

Edited by rtsurfer

It only affects the Uncore clocks, Core is still fine that's why Nick Shih did 6.6Ghz. He was still doing probably only 3.8G on the Uncore.

And that Uncore advantage translate to air, water or ln2, everywhere.

Coincidental side story, just last week I was thinking of picking up a Champion on the off-chance that I might go to X99 this summer, or I could have always sold it to some PRO OCer if my plans fell through. I was assuming that it might be a limited run board. Looks like I was right. I could have probably sold the board to you if I had bought it.

I have done lots of investigation in the HoF of 3D Mark in every bracket from 1-4 cards. It seems like the R5E combines it all. Good OC ability for the CPU including the extra juice for good GPU OCs. I could not find any OCF in the top 10 of any bracket and hardly a Gigabyte board. Don´t forget I´m in need of a board for GPU highend benchmarking. My X99 Deluxe is used by some other guys in the top10s as well. But I´m not going to buy the same mainboard again I need more.

Why couldn´t you buy that stupid Champion lol ;)?

EDIT: Of course Kingpin is an exception with his Classified board...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I have done lots of investigation in the HoF of 3D Mark in every bracket from 1-4 cards. It seems like the R5E combines it all. Good OC ability for the CPU including the extra juice for good GPU OCs. I could not find any OCF in the top 10 of any bracket and hardly a Gigabyte board. Don´t forget I´m in need of a board for GPU highend benchmarking. My X99 Deluxe is used by some other guys in the top10s as well. But I´m not going to buy the same mainboard again I need more.

Well R5E or hunt down a Champion board? But I also see that the most of the 3D Benchers go with Asus boards cause the know they will keep working when doing LN2 stuff.Its not one of the just use once and replace boards.

Sidenote:

Back on my 770's again. Feels so nice to have a healthy 1.3v running through them again.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Sorry for not buying the Champion. :unsure:

R5E is the way to go for you, Champion is not frequently present in the 3D Mark HOF because,

1) Its only been out for about 1 month.

2) Less than 100 people in the world have one, I assume.

3) 3D Benchmarking is only a second priority to may of them, since 2D is where it really shines.

4) I don't think it even went retail outside of US.

R5E is the way to go for you, Champion is not frequently present in the 3D Mark HOF because,

3) 3D Benchmarking is only a second priority to may of them, since 2D is where it really shines.

And here I am benching Heaven and Catzilla with some 3D Mark stuff when I'm bored for HWBot.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

And here I am benching Heaven and Catzilla with some 3D Mark stuff when I'm bored for HWBot.

Different strokes for different folks. I do both. :)

Being somewhat okay at 2D helps with 3D too.

Different strokes for different folks. I do both. :)

Being somewhat okay at 2D helps with 3D too.

Yeah I've almost killed my 4770k at this point its a horrible overclocker. So when I first got it I though "Hell I start getting into 2D benching!" Then I started overclocking it by first setting the input voltage to 1.95 and setting the DIGI+ VRM crap to extreme and all phases..ect. tried to boot at 4.4 with only stock voltage. Instant BSOD when windows started loading and it only got worse from there. 4.3 I can do stock voltage but 4.4 takes 1.32v, 4.5 takes 1.38v, 4.5 takes 1.5v and 4.7 takes 1.58v. So yeah because of that I decided to stick with only 3D for a bit longer before branching out again.

|King Of The Lost|

Yeah I've almost killed my 4770k at this point its a horrible overclocker. So when I first got it I though "Hell I start getting into 2D benching!" Then I started overclocking it by first setting the input voltage to 1.95 and setting the DIGI+ VRM crap to extreme and all phases..ect. tried to boot at 4.4 with only stock voltage. Instant BSOD when windows started loading and it only got worse from there. 4.3 I can do stock voltage but 4.4 takes 1.32v, 4.5 takes 1.38v, 4.5 takes 1.5v and 4.7 takes 1.58v. So yeah because of that I decided to stick with only 3D for a bit longer before branching out again.

I'd be a lot less motivated to do 2D if my CPU sucked, I just dumped my 4.6 @ 1.315V 4770K back in November, & then binned myself a really good 4790K. Before that I used to hate 2D too since I wasn't competitive at all.

Kill your chip or sell it & get a new one. From a retailer if you wish to test your luck or one from Siliconlottery.com if you'd rather bypass it.

I do some Cinebench but not in a competitive way just for system stability. Without LN2 that would be stupid hehe.

You know the R5E has so many devastating reviews, people wrote that many of the boards came DOA. On the other hand side I´m not sure how much I want to believe all of that because the X99 Deluxe doesn´t have good reviews all the way as well and I am very happy with it. I think there are a ton of people that kill boards when putting the PC together no matter if they crack hardware or put it together in the living room on the cozy carpet ;) and shorten out components.

For me like written before all that matters is 3D Mark and UH as benchmarks.

I do some Cinebench but not in a competitive way just for system stability. Without LN2 that would be stupid hehe.

You know the R5E has so many devastating reviews, people wrote that many of the boards came DOA. On the other hand side I´m not sure how much I want to believe all of that because the X99 Deluxe doesn´t have good reviews all the way as well and I am very happy with it. I think there are a ton of people that kill boards when putting the PC together no matter if they crack hardware or put it together in the living room on the cozy carpet ;) and shorten out components.

For me like written before all that matters is 3D Mark and UH as benchmarks.

Lots of happy owners here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread

You know that reminds me, if I ever win a lottery in the near future, I am so buying myself an Asus X99 WS board. Man that this is so sexy.. Better than most girls I see on my campus everyday. Well not really, but it so pretty. That Greyish Silver looks so much more mature than R5E's Red & black.

I mean just look at it

ASUS_X99_E_WS_01.jpg

Sadly I am pretty sure it doesn't get as much Overclocking BIOS updates as the R5E, since its focus is more on stability,

But that is the prettiest MOBO I have layed my eyes on, ever...

I'd be a lot less motivated to do 2D if my CPU sucked, I just dumped my 4.6 @ 1.315V 4770K back in November, & then binned myself a really good 4790K. Before that I used to hate 2D too since I wasn't competitive at all.

Kill your chip or sell it & get a new one. From a retailer if you wish to test your luck or one from Siliconlottery.com if you'd rather bypass it.

You think Intel you take the CPU for RMA if it happened to "accidentally receive 2.0v on air"?

|King Of The Lost|

You think Intel you take the CPU for RMA if it happened to "accidentally receive 2.0v on air"?

Shoot a PM to Prokon, he is more authorized than me to comment on that, since he made this post today.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/62476-post-your-cinebench-r15r1152003-scores-over-250-submissions/?p=4281558

See what he says, shouldn't be a problem from my personal knowledge.

Lots of happy owners here

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread

You know that reminds me, if I ever win a lottery in the near future, I am so buying myself an Asus X99 WS board. Man that this is so sexy.. Better than most girls I see on my campus everyday. Well not really, but it so pretty. That Greyish Silver looks so much more mature than R5E's Red & black.

I mean just look at it

ASUS_X99_E_WS_01.jpg

Sadly I am pretty sure it doesn't get as much Overclocking BIOS updates as the R5E, since its focus is more on stability,

But that is the prettiest MOBO I have layed my eyes on, ever...

That X99 WS is super sexy indeed but nothing for extreme OCing weather it´s CPU nor GPUs.

What makes the R5E in your opinion better than the OCF inyour opinion for OCing GPUs. The PCIe power delivery is the same on both boards...

That X99 WS is super sexy indeed but nothing for extreme OCing weather it´s CPU nor GPUs.

What makes the R5E in your opinion better than the OCF inyour opinion for OCing GPUs. The PCIe power delivery is the same on both boards...

Power delivery rarely matters once you start looking at the really High end boards from all manufactures. All of them are massively overbuilt. I read somewhere that the R5E's VRM section is good for upto 1000W to the CPU, good luck. Even on Ln2 you'll kill your chip before you get close to consuming half of that. The only time VRM matters is if some manufacturer cheaps out on them.

That said Asus & Gigabyte are the best boards for 3D even on Z97. Reason being that they give a teeny bit higher CPU/GPU score. PCIe power delivery doesn't matter much, cards draw almost all of their power from the 8pins. It's about a boards efficiency not power delivery. You can run 3 980s at 1600Mhz & I can run 3 980s at 1600Mhz & even if all our CPU/Ram clocks are the same, you get a score that is ~200 points or so higher than mine, That can be attributed to MOBO BIOS efficiency.

Also your main loss is the the Cache OC, I found an excellent example for that

Here is Kingpin with his 5960X @ 5.675 Ghz  26235 Physics score

http://hwbot.org/submission/2692768_kingpin_3dmark___fire_strike_extreme_geforce_gtx_980_9692_marks

Vivi with his 5960X @ 5.636Ghz  27472 Physics score

http://hwbot.org/submission/2695560_vivi_3dmark___fire_strike_extreme_geforce_gtx_980_9846_marks

Like Kingpin, you'll loose 1000 points or so in Physics scores at similar clockspeeds if you get a board that doesn't allow you to clock your Cache higher because it doesn't have OC socket.

Physics score is still somewhat relevant, unless all you do is FireStrike Ultra.

Hope this answers your question.

No it doesn't. The SOC Champion has the most.

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=126213

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_5960x/

Only CPU-Z & PCMark. Did you even bother to check.?

Asrock OCF is usually the best, the only fault is that it doesn't have the OC Socket & that's why its loosing. A Rev 2 is rumored to be in the works though. ;)

Edit: Just to clarify, OCF Formula holds almost all the Z87/Z97 records, but we are discussing X99 here.

Ofcourse I checked. :) I didn't go through them all and add up who had the most.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2635012_nickshih_cpu_frequency_core_i7_5960x_6620.73_mhz

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Power delivery rarely matters once you start looking at the really High end boards from all manufactures. All of them are massively overbuilt. I read somewhere that the R5E's VRM section is good for upto 1000W to the CPU, good luck. Even on Ln2 you'll kill your chip before you get close to consuming half of that. The only time VRM matters is if some manufacturer cheaps out on them.

That said Asus & Gigabyte are the best boards for 3D even on Z97. Reason being that they give a teeny bit higher CPU/GPU score. PCIe power delivery doesn't matter much, cards draw almost all of their power from the 8pins. It's about a boards efficiency not power delivery. You can run 3 980s at 1600Mhz & I can run 3 980s at 1600Mhz & even if all our CPU/Ram clocks are the same, you get a score that is ~200 points or so higher than mine, That can be attributed to MOBO BIOS efficiency.

Also your main loss is the the Cache OC, I found an excellent example for that

Here is Kingpin with his 5960X @ 5.675 Ghz  26235 Physics score

http://hwbot.org/submission/2692768_kingpin_3dmark___fire_strike_extreme_geforce_gtx_980_9692_marks

Vivi with his 5960X @ 5.636Ghz  27472 Physics score

http://hwbot.org/submission/2695560_vivi_3dmark___fire_strike_extreme_geforce_gtx_980_9846_marks

Like Kingpin, you'll loose 1000 points or so in Physics scores at similar clockspeeds if you get a board that doesn't allow you to clock your Cache higher because it doesn't have OC socket.

Physics score is still somewhat relevant, unless all you do is FireStrike Ultra.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for the detailed answer to my question. I appreciate this. Unfortunately you didn´t tell too much news on this topic, but confirm what I have seen and what I know here. I´ll take the freedom and rely on my own 3D Mark score with 3 GPUs as a reference here.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5724755? with this score I´m in the top10 in the HoF for 3 GPUs. Now the thing is changing from my 5930K to my 5960X was in terms of the ULTRA benchmark not very beneficial. And when I say not very beneficial I mean like 80+ points. This reflects a lot more the lower you go in resolution, because then this benchmark lives more of a CPU and at 1080p I could clock my cards higher but my CPU starts becomming a bottleneck. So I would need to clock much higher to OC the cards more, which would be a pretty stupid idea to go for DICE or LN2 without prepared cards or mainboard, because the condensation will take care of the rest.

The Physics score matters to me but doesn´t weigh as heavy in 4K anymore as it does in 1080p. Of course my 22k score and a 25k score will still make a difference but not by much and in 4K you benefit more of a higher OC on the clock speeds of your GPUs. I´ve spent 500+ hours modding BIOS, tweaking and OCing with air and watercooling and after all said and done I decided for myself I enjoy benchmarking 4K the most. I´m playing games in 1080p in my living room, but if I really want to enjoy a title I play that on a 4K monitor. In fact I´m waiting on the new Asus RoG Swift 4K. So that being said, when I play in 4K, why should I benchmark in 1080p? For me my personal FS results mean nothing.

I´ve seen that too, that the R5E scales extremely well in 3D Mark. The funny part is apart from 3D benchmarking other boards are way better, like the OCF. But I only care about 3D Mark and UH 4.0.

Thanks for the detailed answer to my question. I appreciate this. Unfortunately you didn´t tell too much news on this topic, but confirm what I have seen and what I know here. I´ll take the freedom and rely on my own 3D Mark score with 3 GPUs as a reference here.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5724755? with this score I´m in the top10 in the HoF for 3 GPUs. Now the thing is changing from my 5930K to my 5960X was in terms of the ULTRA benchmark not very beneficial. And when I say not very beneficial I mean like 80+ points. This reflects a lot more the lower you go in resolution, because then this benchmark lives more of a CPU and at 1080p I could clock my cards higher but my CPU starts becomming a bottleneck. So I would need to clock much higher to OC the cards more, which would be a pretty stupid idea to go for DICE or LN2 without prepared cards or mainboard, because the condensation will take care of the rest.

The Physics score matters to me but doesn´t weigh as heavy in 4K anymore as it does in 1080p. Of course my 22k score and a 25k score will still make a difference but not by much and in 4K you benefit more of a higher OC on the clock speeds of your GPUs. I´ve spent 500+ hours modding BIOS, tweaking and OCing with air and watercooling and after all said and done I decided for myself I enjoy benchmarking 4K the most. I´m playing games in 1080p in my living room, but if I really want to enjoy a title I play that on a 4K monitor. In fact I´m waiting on the new Asus RoG Swift 4K. So that being said, when I play in 4K, why should I benchmark in 1080p? For me my personal FS results mean nothing.

I´ve seen that too, that the R5E scales extremely well in 3D Mark. The funny part is apart from 3D benchmarking other boards are way better, like the OCF. But I only care about 3D Mark and UH 4.0.

For FSU you'll rarely see a difference between OCF or R5E.

For FSU you'll rarely see a difference between OCF or R5E.

Well then... I guess I´m free to choose :)

Yes...

This will be so interesting when the GM200 will be released. Thanks for this amazing discussion, you gave me a lot qualified input to think about :). Thumbs up for that!

Yes...

Yes thank you for some good insight, makes me feel a bit better about going X99 this year. 

|King Of The Lost|

This will be so interesting when the GM200 will be released. Thanks for this amazing discussion, you gave me a lot qualified input to think about :). Thumbs up for that!

Yes thank you for some good insight, makes me feel a bit better about going X99 this year.

No problem.

Quad SLI Benches have been pushed back till Wednesday. Just looked at the Tracking..... COME ON UPS

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2