Hi there,

So I've got a big procrastination problem. Any way to motivate myself to work on stuff and stop getting distracted?

Thanks in advance...

Throw your pc out of the window?

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

don't be on the forum.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Make yourself do tasks and reward yourself when you complete them, start with small and quick tasks and then move to bigger and bigger ones. 

EDIT:

Also, removing distractions is easy, just turn the computer or any other thing that might distract you off.

i'm a potato

If your procrastination is due to you using your pc too much. Then, I suggest you leave it doing something, so you can't do much on it (Leave it downloading something, defrag, or something so you can't use it) that way you can work while knowing your PC ain't wasting time doing nothing. At least that worked for me ;)

Remove distractions from the room, work in short 20 minute bursts and then take a 10 minute break. Also, go out for a walk or a bike ride as exercise can help improve concentration if you are really struggling. Don't play music when you work. If you really want to, only put classical music on, as that also helps.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Procrastinate more.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi there,

So I've got a big procrastination problem. Any way to motivate myself to work on stuff and stop getting distracted?

Thanks in advance...

The real answer is "Just do it." TM Nike of course. 

I know it doesn't help, but it's the real answer. If you literally just do whatever you are procrastinating about, you will stop procrastinating. I realize I'm stating the obvious here, however procrastination is something you learn. The only way to undo that is to ... stop procrastinating. Asking for advice and expecting anything other than that which will actually work is not going to get you anywhere because we aren't you. Each person deals with it in a different way, but ultimately, that's the answer. Just do it, it being whatever you are procrastinating about.

You'll feel better about it afterwards, and you'll be on your way to not procrastinating in your life.

Every time you catch yourself procrastinating give yourself a papercut and dunk that finger in germx.

Or get a rubber band, put it on your wrist, and when you catch yourself, pull it back and let go. Ah, negative reinforcement. My favorite alternative to a strong will.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'll post a good tip....later

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Or get a rubber band, put it on your wrist, and when you catch yourself, pull it back and let go. Ah, negative reinforcement. My favorite alternative to a strong will.

Yeah but my suggestion hurts more. Might be more likely to stop the procrastination :lol:

Yeah but my suggestion hurts more. Might be more likely to stop the procrastination :lol:

It's also more involved which means more likely to not be done. :P Plus, it entirely depends on the rubber band and how far you pull it back. Welts are cool imo.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's also more involved which means more likely to not be done. :P Plus, it entirely depends on the rubber band and how far you pull it back. Welts are cool imo.

"What are those from?" "Homework."

I need the PC and the interntet to get the job done...

I'm almost there now... The harder part comes after I pass this one...

Thanks for the suggestions...

And @AlwaysFSX and @Vitalius, I'm not enough of a masochist to inflict self harm even if it is negative reinforcement...

"What are those from?" "Homework."

For the OP, maybe. For me, it is to remind me not to get distracted by anything that doesn't lead me to my goal. Or for when I think negatively of myself.

The idea came from Ruben Gonzalez. Argentinian Olympic Luge athlete. He said he was in a habit of thinking negatively of himself and what helped him change it so that he thought positively more often was what I described, then he'd replace the negative with a positive.

It works for me. Might not for others.

And @AlwaysFSX and @Vitalius, I'm not enough of a masochist to inflict self harm even if it is negative reinforcement...

Masochist implies that you enjoy it. The idea of negative reinforcement is that you don't enjoy it.

† Christian Member †

For the OP, maybe. For me, it is to remind me not to get distracted by anything that doesn't lead me to my goal. Or for when I think negatively of myself.

The idea came from Ruben Gonzalez. Argentinian Olympic Luge athlete. He said he was in a habit of thinking negatively of himself and what helped him change it so that he thought positively more often was what I described, then he'd replace the negative with a positive.

It works for me. Might not for others.

Masochist implies that you enjoy it. The idea of negative reinforcement is that you don't enjoy it.

Trying negative reinforcement now...

get a network block once you leave school prioritized stuff wich only works on your school account, worked for me.

(although ADD was my problem, wich was unnoticable on high school and before)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Break up your work into small pieces and have small time deadlines for yourself.  It will make the work more manageable.  It helps for me.

Break up your work into small pieces and have small time deadlines for yourself.  It will make the work more manageable.  It helps for me.

Tried it, made procrastinating worse...

90% done with the first thing to do, and starting the second one in parallel...

It is now 1AM where I am and I get to work more efficiently around 11PM - 4AM... weird...

Tried it, made procrastinating worse...

90% done with the first thing to do, and starting the second one in parallel...

It is now 1AM where I am and I get to work more efficiently around 11PM - 4AM... weird...

very strange yes, but if it works....do it.  But try to work a sleep schedule around that then.