Best way to store small amounts of data for a long time?

Milk

What would be the best way to store, lets say 100GB of data for a long time; for 5-10 years maybe?

SSD?

Hard Drives?

Compact Disc?

Cloud Storage?

I want to store my music library and some pictures.

I would say Compact Disc, and External hard drive, something might happen in the cloud that could delete your data.

compact disc, especially M-Disk

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I'd say a hard drive, but if you could get your hands on a USB that size it would be even better IMO cause the USB would take up much less room and be less fragile than the hard drive.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

What would be the best way to store, lets say 100GB of data for a long time; for 5-10 years maybe?

SSD?

Hard Drives?

Compact Disc?

Cloud Storage?

I want to store my music library and some pictures.

If you arn't gonna touch them, probably CD's, because apparently when not used for long periods of time(10 years) SSD's will start to loose their data.

Hard drives would be good, but you don't wanna risk them breaking.

There is no way I would trust cloud storage for 10 years.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I'd say a hard drive, but if you could get your hands on a USB that size it would be even better IMO cause the USB would take up much less room and be less fragile than the hard drive.

USB is bad for long term storage because it is digital.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i would say a usb drive, or if the data can be split up, a couple of blurays

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

get several potable harddrives and create more then one copy of the data

CF cards. Thats how a lot of photographers store their photos. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

USB is bad for long term storage because it is digital.

I'm sorry I don't really understand - but wouldn't digital be better cause CDs/DVDs/BluRays could get scratched?

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Use the Linus patented way of archiving HDDs and go that route. :D

"Do as I say, not as I do"

~Linus Sebastian

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

I'm sorry I don't really understand - but wouldn't digital be better cause CDs/DVDs/BluRays could get scratched?

Not really. Data on disk drivers is physically burned onto them, and will last much longer. Also disks were developed to continue working even when scratched, which is why you can have a ton of scratches on a CD but it will work perfectly fine.

On digital media like a USB drive, the data is written in 0s and 1s to a chip, but these bits can become corrupted (switching sates) over long periods of time resulting in the data being unreadable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not really. Data on dick drivers is physically burned onto them, and will last much longer. Also disks were developed to continue working even when scratched, which is why you can have a ton of scratches on a CD but it will work perfectly fine.

On digital media like a USB drive, the data is written in 0s and 1s to a chip, but these bits can become corrupted (switching sates) over long periods of time resulting in the data being unreadable.

Hmm I see. Thanks for the answer, but I think you meant 'disks' not 'dicks' lol :P

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Hmm I see. Thanks for the answer, but I think you meant 'disks' not 'dicks' lol :P

Oh shit. Thanks for telling me lol :P

Spoiler

Hey,

Out of these 4 options, I'd choose CDs (or DVD or Blu-Ray) or HDDs. Unlike SSD or USB, actual platters store information via magnetic recording rather than electrical impulses which can "die" after some time. Magnetic recording tends to last a lot more than electric impulses.

I would say Discs are better than HDDs because after some time, formatting or something else might fail in the Hard Drive (we are talking about years of no usage), while CDs (in my personal opinion) would last much more. The only drawback would be that CDs hold A LOT less information and you'd need to have a lot of them.

I would also recommend that you create multiple copies in case something happens to your backup (physical damage, loss, etc.).

Hope this helps,

Captain_WD.   

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

As others have said, M-Disc is pretty much your best option for cheap long term storage. You could look at other kinds of "Archival Grade" DVD-R's, but M-Disc is pretty much the best one now.

HDD's are a bad choice because even just sitting there, they might not function when you turn them back on 10 years from now, not to mention if you accidentally bump or drop it, you might be screwed.

USB drives (And other flash based media) is a very bad idea, because of bit rot. Due to the way that technology is designed, they are susceptible to bit flipping over long periods. That's where a bit inside the flash chip unintentionally flips its state (from 0 to 1 or from 1 to 0), which causes data corruption, and therefore data loss.

Cloud storage is a HUGE NO because you have no idea what will happen in 10 years. The data center could burn down. They could go out of business. A disgruntled employee could format the HDD your stuff was on, etc. There are just too many unknown variables.

Tape drive backup would be good but it's not cheap. The tapes themselves are dirt cheap and super reliable, but the drives can cost $2500+, so your initial setup cost is very high.

Regular CD's and DVD's are also a HUGE NO! This is because the regular plastic used in CD's and DVD's will degrade over time. This will happen faster if exposed to extreme heat or cold, or direct sunlight, but will happen regardless. In 10 years, your CD's and DVD's could be useless and unreadable.

M-DISC is not susceptible to the same degradation as traditional DVD's. M-DISC uses an inorganic layer (plastic is organic, made from essentially oil) that will last for at least 100 years (They claim 1000 years but that's unverified). The layer material is a trademark secret, but most people suspect it's a form of stone rock (probably synthetic, but who knows). Most DVD Writers for the last several years have supported M-DISC, and you can buy one for like $25 if needed. No idea how much the discs themselves are though, but if you're serious about keeping your data safe, it's worth the cost, especially compared to the alternatives.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

MDISCs are the best way to store data long-term.

Many burners these days will read and write to them without a problem.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Even if you are backing up to a decent medium if this is long term storage I would also use Multipar to create Parity files for the backups, this means even if you had a small amount of degradation due to Bitrot, you would still be able to restore the files in their original form.

| Intel Core i7 7600K | ASRock H170M ITX | 16GB DDR4 | OCZ GTX1060 6GB  |
| Crucial M4 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB  | Antec True Power 650 | Fractal Design Node 304 | Coolermaster 212+ |

2 or 3 reliable harddrives (possibly from different brands) on a offsite location is the best way to go. optical media is garbage, flash is even worse (because data retention) and cloud is... well cloud. Provider can always go bust and so goes ur data.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Your brain?...

Like this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/ ? :P :P :P :P

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

Disc drives will last forever. 

+1

Regular CD's and DVD's are also a HUGE NO! This is because the regular plastic used in CD's and DVD's will degrade over time. This will happen faster if exposed to extreme heat or cold, or direct sunlight, but will happen regardless. In 10 years, your CD's and DVD's could be useless and unreadable.

This is just plain bullshit. I have CD's/DVD's that are 15 years old and still work fine. Stop with the hyperbolic statements please...

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8