Android is still the top smartphone OS in the US

PillowSmoke

Moto-G-2014-hands-on-06_0.jpg?itok=doFmd

The latest data from research firm comScore shows that the number one smartphone OS in the US continues to be Android, but it actually saw its market share go down from 52.5 percent in April to 51.5 percent in July.

iOS, the number two smartphone OS, saw its market share rise from 41.4 percent to 42.4 percent in the same time frame. Windows Phone is third, going up from 3.3 percent in April to 3.6 percent in July. BlackBerry is fourth and saw its share drop from 2.5 to 2.3 percent. Symbian is fifth, dropping from 0.2 to 0.1 percent.

The leading smartphone OEM in the US continues to be Apple, claiming 42.4 percent of the industry's market share in July, up from 41.4 percent in April, Samsung is second with 28.4 percent, up from 27.7 percent. LG is a distant third with 6.4 percent, followed by Motorola at 5.7 percent and HTC at 4.7 percent.

173 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones in July, up by three percent compared to April, according to comScore. Facebook, YouTube, Google Play, Google Search, Google Maps, Pandora Radio, Gmail, Instagram, Yahoo Stocks and Facebook Messenger were the top 10 smartphone apps used by U.S. residents in July.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Android has many manufacturers and iOS has 1, so yeah not really surprising

Although Samsung does have an hugeee market share, way more then I expected tbh, I'm not too sure that that is good

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Damn right.

I've always wanted to try the ubuntu mobile OS.

It's not available yet :(

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I've always wanted to try the ubuntu mobile OS.

if u have a nexus device

u can :)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Android has many manufacturers and iOS has 1, so yeah not really surprising

This

Although Samsung does have an hugeee market share, way more then I expected tbh, I'm not too sure that that is good

and this.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I thought Samsung had a bigger market share than Apple, maybe I'm thinking of worldwide. 

not really surprising if you see that android is used by dozens of manufacturs and IOS by a single one, where apple leads then.

But I am willing to see is the marketshare on OS type and version, that would basicly give a give of how up-to-date or outdated phones actually are.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This probably isn't going to change anytime soon unless Apple suddenly lets people manufacturer iOS phone (it is not going to.)

It's not quite a market share stat that matters too much, as Android is clearly going to come out on top with its dozen or so manufacturers. 

Apple vs Samsung market share is the sort of thing that matters a bit more. 

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

D; oh god, why.

They launched it on IndieGoGo and failed so now it's just sort of in limbo.

If there's one thing that would make me switch from Apple products though it would be a really nicely integrated Linux experience across platforms with open hardware down to the HDL files for the silicon. That will never happen, though one can hope and I'd like to think I could do something like that some day.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If there's one thing that would make me switch from Apple products though it would be a really nicely integrated Linux experience across platforms with open hardware down to the HDL files for the silicon. That will never happen, though one can hope and I'd like to think I could do something like that some day.

One can dream.

the thing that gets me about this is all the fanboys that hate apple and say that there phone is for hipsters and people that dont know any better....im sorry but 42% market share with 3 phones thats amazing..........clearly there doing something right!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Damn straight!

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

ooo interesting.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

But that campaign wasn't actually for the OS itself, it was for that specific phone. Ubuntu Edge. In all honesty had the campaign succeeded I think we would have another OnePlus One in our hands (too much demand, not enough supply) but damn that was a good phone.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

But that campaign wasn't actually for the OS itself, it was for that specific phone. Ubuntu Edge. In all honesty had the campaign succeeded I think we would have another OnePlus One in our hands (too much demand, not enough supply) but damn that was a good phone.

I realize, but they don't have downloads (or source) as far as I can tell.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

To be expected. Apple does make the most profit though, considering they have a huge market share and sell hardware, compared to Google's Android having a huge market share yet only giving software.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.