September 5, 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

Crowd-sourced table of contents: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BVB46NW2hrHjTYGLUmLMxrfy-01b3-qmneQOpDVgREw/edit?usp=sharing

Apple value drops by $26 billion after celebrity nude leaks

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: 99vw

Source 2:

- share prices fell by $4.36 or 4.2%

- biggest decline in share price since January when it dropped by $6.19

- still up almost $30 since January 28 2014 (price was $71.17)

- Apple’s value is still close to $600 billion

- still the most highly valued US company on the market

- article speculates that investors might not find the small potential upside of Apple enticing when the price of the stock relies so much on one product (iPhone)

- not sure if I agree with that statement as they control a large portion of the laptop market

Apple denies iCloud breach - says celebrity nude leaks were targeted attacks on individuals rather than an invasion of their backend

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: RedRound2

Source 2:

- Apple spent more than 40 hours on investigation

- denies that either iCloud or Find My iPhone were breached

- claim it was a targeted username, password, and security question hack on specific celebrity accounts

- recommends users use their two-step verification if they are concerned about security

- Apple will start alerting with push notifications and emails when someone tries to change a password on their account

- this will begin in 2 weeks

- two-factor authentication will also cover iCloud in the next revision of iOS (later this month)

- will allow for immediate action - changing password back, taking control of account from the hacker, or alerting Apple’s security team

Motorola officially launches the new Moto X

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dizmo

Source 2: gsmarena.com

- finally a phone that doesn’t have “one” in the name

- Snapdragon 802 2.5gHz processor

- 5.2” 1080p SuperAMOLED screen

- 2gb RAM

- 16gb or 32gb non-expandable storage

- 2300mAh battery

- FRONT FACING SPEAKERS

- 13mp camera with dual LED ring flash

- features the usual customization features

- available later this month in “a number of markets” namely US, Mexico, France, Germany, UK

- $99.99 on contract with AT&T or Verizon, off contract for $499.99 unlocked

- also unveiled an ultra-small bluetooth headset dubbed the “Moto Hint” which will be available for $149.99 later this fall in the US, more markets in time for the holidays

- allows users to operate their phone with voice commands while it’s still in their pocket

Moto 360 Announced

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: CYaN_Bob

Source 2:

- finally hitting the consumer market, first in the US

- pricing US $250, UK 199GBP, Canada $279
- availability US now, UK “early October,” Canada “later in the fall”

- can be purchased from Motorola’s website, the Google Play, and Best Buy

- same Moto 360 we’ve been talking about for 5 months, only now it’s actually available

Mozilla leaves a ton of passwords on a fairly open server, twice

Source 1:  linustechtips.com OP: RainfallWithin

Source 2: hotforsecurity.com

-  For second time in a month

- beginning of august they warned their developer community that aprox. 76,000 email addresses and 4,000 ENCRYPTED passwords had been left publicly accessible on a server for 30 days

- On Aug. 27th they discovered that roughly 97,000 users of a test build of bug zilla had their emails left of an open server as well

- No they didn’t make the same mistake a second time within one month… They FOUND the same mistake for a second time within one month

- No this is not FIREFOX USERS, this is developers and testers that were using early test builds of bugzilla

- Of course…. the LTT thread on this very rapidly turned into a browser war Becuase:Internet

Lenovo launches new 8 inch tablet starting at $199

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer

Source 2: androidauthority.com

- named TAB S8

- 1900x1200 display

- Quad-core Intel Atom Z3745 (64-bit Bay Trail processor) (4cores/4threads Burst of 1.86GHz)

- 2gb RAM

- 16gb storage

- 4290mAh battery

- Bluetooth 4.0

- Dolby dual front speakers

- f2.2 8mp rear camera, 1.6mp front camera

- Android 4.4 KitKat

- LTE model available at a higher price

- just 7.8mm thick (slightly thicker than iPad mini)

- “64-bit compatibility” but no official word from Lenovo about whether they will offer a future upgrade to 64-bit Android L

- available sometime in September via www.lenovo.com and major retailers

Toshiba releases $120 full-blown Windows 8.1 tablet

Source 2: theverge.com

- named  Encore Mini

- 7 inch screen 1024x600

- quad-core Intel atom processor

- 16gb of internal storage and an SD slot for expansion

- uses “Windows 8.1 with Bing”

- a few drawbacks like no windows button, bad viewing angles on the display, full windows isn’t optimal on such a small display

- article speculates that it might be better to go with Windows Phone for 7” in the future as it’s now available for that size of device

AMD R9 295X2 on promotional pricing through specific retailers for as low as $999

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Bloodyvalley

Source 2:

- promotions with specific retailers

- some retailers will have the card available for as low as $999 to end users!

- original price on the card was $1499

- is the Titan still a compelling value with this card available for such a low price?

NVIDIA starts legal battle with Samsung and Qualcomm over patent infringement

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: brownninja97

Source 2: techpowerup.com

- awesome thread title

- NVIDIA claims Samsung and Qualcomm are both infringing on NVIDIA GPU patents

- cover technology including programmable shading, unified shaders, and multithreaded parallel processing

- identified Samsung products include Galaxy note edge, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab S, Galaxy Note Pro, Galaxy Tab 2, and Samsung Exynos mobile chips

- identified Snapdragon products include Snapdragon S4, 400, 600, 800, 801, and 805

- NVIDIA co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang said “As the world leader in visual comuting, NVIDIA has invented technologies that are vital to mobile computing… ...Our patended GPU inventions provide significant value to mobile devices. Samsung and Qualcomm have chosen to use these in their products without a license from us. We are asking the courts to determine infringement of NVIDIA’s GPU patents by all graphics architectures used in Samsung’s mobile products and to establish their licensing value.”

- so, NVIDIA is essentially bringing the legitimacy of Samsungs entire line of mobile products into question

- court proceedings are said to start as early as January

- NVIDIA is persuing action by the International Trade Commission and in the U.S. District Court in Delaware

New fabric circuit boards which can be cut, stretched, washed, wrinkled, and even shot

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Ethnod

Source 2: wired.com

- created by a team of engineers at Hong Kong Polytechnic University

- the fabric is knitted with wiring that can be worn and washed

- this fabric could host a number of biometric monitoring devices

- could be especially useful for law enforcement and military personnel

- not the world’s first computerized fabric but it might be the most durable

- a paper in Proceedings of the Royal Society from Sept 3 noted that the fabric can withstand being stretched, folded, washed, wrinkled, and shot with bullets (note - the material is not bulletproof, it was under kevlar)

- fabric made it through a million cycles of a gauntlet of stretching, shearing, and folding before it began to lose its electrical capabilities

- washed 30 samples 30 times in warm water, only 6 had noticeable drops in performance

- subsequent results were improved by using a more delicate wash cycle or by placing the fabric in a protective mesh bag

- when placed under a kevlar vest, the material was able to withstand the strain of the bullet’s impact

- all sensors were able to receive and transmit electrical signals after being shot

Pewdiepie disables YouTube comments forever

Source 1:linustechtips.com  OP: ONOTech

Source 2: kotaku.com

- disable comments forever

- was sick of seeing mainly spam, people self-advertising, people trying to provoke others, and people who reply to any of the above

- “To me, it doesn’t mean anything”

- the main issue is that most of the positive feedback and welcome suggestions are buried in this nonsense

- “I just want to connect with you bros” is his main sentiment throughout the video

- obviously very appreciative of his supporters and wants to continue interacting with them

- wants to find a simple and meaningful way to interact on a platform outside of YouTube

- he suggests getting in contact over Twitter or at a dedicated subreddit as an alternative to the YouTube comments section

- a few days later he posted on Twitter “Still trying to figure out best way to go forward with the comments.”

- Strawpoll - is there value in YouTube comments? alternatively: What do you think of Pewdiepie’s decision? Should more YouTubers go this route?

4chan now has a DMCA policy following the incident known as “The Fappening”

Source 2: torrentfreak.com

- in many ways 4chan will never be the same

- a complete shock for most because of 4chan’s roots

ASRock X99 Extreme 11 features 18 SATA 6gbps ports

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TOMPPIX

Source 2: wccftech.com

- should be available later next month

- features 18 SATA 6gbps ports

- E-ATX form factor

- same tier as X99S XPOWER from MSI and ASUS RoG Rampage 5

- 12 phase VRM

- ultra Dual-N MOSFETs (UDM), nichicon 12K Platinum capacitors, Sapphire black PCB, a Digi power 12 phase CPU pulse

- eight DDR4 DIMM slots capable of supporting up to 128gb up to speeds rated at 3300MHz

- 10 of the SATA ports are powered through the PCH and the remaining through a separate SAS controller

- 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 headers down the PCB

- five PCI-e 3.0x16 slots with spacing for 4-way SLI/Crossfire

- 2 ultra M.2 slots

- overclocking switches and a diagnostic LED are found at the bottom of the PCH heatsin

- has active cooling so it requires an additional 3-pin connection to power the fan on the heatsink shroud

Steam client beta update brings better streaming support overall, especially to AMD cards.

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP:

Source 2: pcgamer.com

- in-home streaming support now available for AMD cards

- VCE hardware encoding of Direct 3D games is now possible if you have a Radeon 77XX or higher or R9 2XX series (above 240)

- can stream from Linux host PCs now

- NVIDIA ShadowPlay is now implemented

- a lot of bug fixes

- also a few tweaks to Steam Music

- can now scan for music inside Steam directories

- music queue won’t reset every time you exit steam

- UI improvements

- “reduced energy usage when running in the background”

MSI GS30 Shadow gaming notebook with docking station

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: randomhkkid

Source 2: dragonarmy.msi.com

- 13.3 inch screen which supports up to 2560x1440

- Intel 4th Gen Core i7

- up to 16gb of DDR3, 1600MHz

- Intel Iris Pro graphics

- 2 M.2 SSDs

- backlit keyboard

- docking station can be equipped with any desktop discrete graphics card of the user’s choosing

- target launch is January 2015

Details of new Moto G are now available on Motorola’s site

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: TopWargamer UPDATED BY: dmegatool

Source 2: motorola.com

- 5” 720p screen

- 8GB and 16GB versions

- SD card slot

- 2 front facing speakers!

- 8MP back camera 2MP front camera

- $180 US

Dell shows off new 5K monitor

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: jamese669

Source 2: maximumpc.com

- resolution is 5120x2880

- roughly 14.7 megapixels, compared to 4k’s 8.3 megapixels

- requires two DisplayPort 1.2 ports to run

- Dell had it running off a Quadro K5000 cad in the demo

- costs $2499.99

4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 in an attempt to fight streaming media

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: cnet.com

- The Blu-ray Disc Association is most of the way through development

- will start licensing the technology in the spring or summer of 2015

- the first 4K blu-ray players should arrive by the holiday season of 2015

- “Using physical media instead of relying on fallible and often limited Internet connections means Blu-ray discs can provide the best possible image quality,” said Victor Matsuda, the chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association global promotions committee

Unreal Engine 4 is now free for educational institutions

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: AlexGoesHigh

Source 2: polygon.com

- Unreal Engine 4 is now free for colleges and universities

- “Nothing is stopping students from honing the skills needed to enter the range of fields using Unreal Engine technology, from entertainment software and film to visualization, healthcare simulation and military training,” said Ray Davis, general manager of Unreal Engine

- the engine can be installed and used on all school owned computers, and personal copies can be provided free of charge to all students enrolled in an accredited video game development, computer science, art, architecture, simulation, and visualization programs

- schools and their students will receive regular updates as if subscribed free of charge (normally $19 per month)

- launch of commercial products is still subject to the 5% royalty

Healthcare.gov was hacked

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Dietrichw

Source 2: money.cnn.com

- “Obamacare” site was hacked but no personal information was taken

- was hacked in July, the malware was not noticed until August 25

- malware was used to use the healthcare.gov servers as zombie machines to attack other government institutions

- a server that routinely tested portions of the website was not set up correctly

- it was not intended to be connected to the internet, but someone accidentally connected it anyway

- FBI and department of homeland security are currently investigating the attack

Intel’s 14nm chips

Source 1: linustechtips.com OP: Tytia

Source 2: bbc.com

- first 14nm processor for thin fanless PCs

- core M chip

- first in the family of Broadwell processors

- Intel intended to deliver to them to manufacturers last year, but manufacturing issues caused a significant delay

- 50% smaller and 30% thinner than the equivalent last-generation Haswell chip

- Intel claims that users should experience 50% faster computing performance and 40 faster graphics performance with Core M than last-gen chips

Edited by looney
fixed for night theme.

HI LINUS

Why is the video title all funky and numbers?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Weres the unboxing video you over hyped!?

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

HI LINUS

Why is the video title all funky and numbers?

It's unlisted, which is probably why.

Didn't watch it live, or the VoD, so I might as well watch it now at 2 AM...

I have the same logic..

Off to bed to watch it!

58abb32518.jpg

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

The best part about the show this week was the growling contest.

http://puu.sh/bnFq7/dfca762143.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Linus, The reason, of which I agree with, I think a lot of people like the archive is because they can't watch the Twitch stream live due to time zones. WAN show airs at 2AM UK and 3AM European times so we're basically all asleep so the archive is great for us in the EU. Rock on guys !

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

@linus guys u r gonna get 2500 videos with the next video .

Congratulations its a big thing

THE LITTLE DEVIL : i5 4690k on NOCTUA NHD15

Asus z97 sabertooth mark 2 

WD black 1TB & WD Green 2TB HDD, Samsung 840 Evo 240gb & Hyperx 240gb SSD 

RAM- Corsair vengence 16gb and hyperx fury 8gb

PSU-Seasonic sII 620 wtt power supply

PErPHERaLS: Logitech g403 mouse, Redgear cherry MX brown switches, Logitech gamepad f310,Cosmic byte XXL RGB mousepad 

Audio: SennheiserHD 558 and antlion mod mic

PHOnE: Realme 3 pro 

Hey Luke. I use Adblock to block annoying ads mostly. ( Like the Russian Babes looking for man or something ads). I put the adblock on permanent pauze on Linustechtips. It would be cool if you added a page that shows your youtube video's on the Linustechtips site. That way my adblock pauze would extend to your youtube video's. I could pauze it everytime i watch a youtube video of you guys on youtube, but let's be honest me and probably everyone else is way to lazy to do that. :)

where is the POV camera thing

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

Well you said you will read everything so here we go:

Due to my OCD or ADD or what ever the abbreviations are, the grey box underneath The Linus Tech Tips Store logo is like a few pixels short of matching up to the logo outline.

CeUKWE1.png

You don't know how much this annoys me!!! If you don't fix i don't mind, just letting you know ;)

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

An interesting note about those Magma Expansion PCI boxes. When they first came out, I only ever saw them being sold by select music technology stores as a means to basically carry a Macbook Pro to any studio with one of those boxes and have like ProTools HDX or HD Native PCI cards in them so you can plug into a studio's set-up (as the majority use Pro-Tools) and work on your own laptop with your plug-ins supposedly giving a better workflow. 

Reading that back, I think the interesting part is subjective.

I finished off the Table of Contents for you guys. Quite an amusing thing to watch the WAN show to look out for timestamps for everyone else's benefit.

Apple Pippin 2.0 (Corsair Gaming Hackintosh) :

• Intel Core i5 3570K with CM Hyper 212 Evo Cooler (Push-pull with Corsair AF120 and SP120)
  • 24 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
  • MSI GeForce GTX 670 Power Edition
  • Intel 330 Series 120 GB SSD (Mac OS X)
  • Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB SSD (Windows 7)
  • OWC Mercury Electra 3G 30 GB SSD (Scratch Disk)
  • 1.8 TB of HDD Storage
  • Corsair 600T White case
  • Corsair K60 Keyboard
  • Corsair M65 Mouse
  • Corsair GS800 PSU

"I WOULD DO ANYTHING TO SEARCH, BUT I WONT BING THAT! except for poooooorn."

You convinced me to come here instead of the YouTube comments cesspool. So now you know who to blame.

On the topic of iPhone 6's camera thing:

The camera lens on iPod touch protrudes as well yet it doesn't conflict with the fun design. I think I actually prefer its design over the recent iPhones. I wish I could just get a (RED) iPod touch with 5s specs…

The most beautiful phone I've seen (I think you can guess what keeps me from buying a Windows Phone…) is the Lumia 1020 which also has quite bump in its back. 

Somewhere in the pewdiepie segment you said something about buying a shirt. I would buy one if District Lines shipped to Serbia. If you can make it possible that would be great.

LUKE HOW DO I GROW A BEARD LIKE YOU I WANT IT TO LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOURSSS!!!

[conspiracy]

I realized after this episode how much Linus hates Samsung.  Not a single word on the note 4, and more specifically, the oculus vr (probably because it's tied to the note 4).  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Glad the streak of missing time tables is done :)

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.