Toshiba just released a $120 Windows 8.1 tablet

TopWargamer

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6100741/toshiba-encore-mini-windows-tablet

Microsoft promised cheaper Windows tablets with its "Windows 8.1 with Bing" option for manufacturers, and they’re now starting to arrive. Toshiba is one of the first to announce a 7-inch Windows tablet this week at the IFA tradeshow in Berlin, signalling a new price point for mainstream manufacturers to battle the cheap Android alternatives. The new Encore Mini is a 7-inch (1024 x 600) Windows 8.1 tablet running a quad-core Intel Atom processor with 16GB of internal storage and an SD slot if you need more space. It’s a pretty bare-bones machine, but it’s priced accordingly: it retails for just $119.99 and is available now.

Sure it's not the best spec'd item out there, but damn it man, it's a $120 full blown Windows 8.1 tablet! This isn't some cheeky Windows 8.1 RT tablet. No, this is running real, full blown Windows 8.1. For the lot of us here on LTT, this may be a bit too low end, but I think other wise. If you want a tablet to just watch Netflix/YouTube on, web browse, read emails, and other light stuff, then it's perfect for you! It's cheap and will do all of those things comfortably. Now I want one just because it's so cheap, and maybe I will get one...hm...

DSC01947_verge_super_wide.jpg

COMIC SANS

KEWL

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

That's actually pretty cool.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Not bad, not bad at all.

They will never beat the $20 tablet I bought at Micro Center for shits and kicks in terms of how crap they are though :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This is pretty nice, now I just wish someone would release a decent gaming tablet for $800 or thereabouts.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I thought Windows 8.1 had a minimum resolution of 1280x720...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

It's barely bigger than the Samsung Galazy S4. WTF is the point?!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Maybe time to switch out from my Sero 7 Pro, I can write my own software for this tablet easily.

• To access the Windows Store and to download, run, and snap apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768

It's barely bigger than the Samsung Galazy S4. WTF is the point?!

$120 vs $700. Hmm. No clue what the point is.  Really can't see it.  Makes perfect sense on why you can't see it.

The S4 is a 5" phone and this is a 7" tablet...

The S6 will be 7 inches at the rate Samsung is going!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I remember reading something a while back that said that Microsoft was planning on fixing this in future updates. I guess they fixed it.

COMIC SANS

The S4 is a 5" phone and this is a 7" tablet...

When you include the Bezel, sorry but that's the same size.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I remember reading something a while back that said that Microsoft was planning on fixing this in future updates. I guess they fixed it.

Might have just been with 8.

Hail Sithis!

When you include the Bezel, sorry but that's the same size.

What are you talking about? When companies go to measure screen size, it's always by the actual length of the screen, not including bezels...

COMIC SANS

What are you talking about? When companies go to measure screen size, it's always by the actual length of the screen, not including bezels...

It's always including the bezels. Do you not know how your monitor or TV is measured? It's the diagonal plus the bezel.

It's always including the bezels. Do you not know how your monitor or TV is measured? It's the diagonal plus the bezel.

No, it's defiantly not..

They round up, but never count bezels.

If so, my Sony Grand Wega would be a 72" TV.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Bezel isn't included in the screen measurements.

Plus you can see in the picture that the device is significantly larger than an S4. An S4 fits comfortably in your hand, whereas this clearly is too large for that. If this was truly just a 5" screen with super thick bezels, then trust me, those bezels would be much larger...

And it doesn't even look like a 5" screen!

COMIC SANS

Bezel isn't included in the screen measurements.

Plus you can see in the picture that the device is significantly larger than an S4. An S4 fits comfortably in your hand, whereas this clearly is too large for that. If this was truly just a 5" screen with super thick bezels, then trust me, those bezels would be much larger...

And it doesn't even look like a 5" screen!

I can see the person holding it has small hands, but other than that we don't know the scale of the picture. You can't at all derive if the visible screen is bigger or smaller than an S4. And again, super thick bezels. It looks larger than the hand but it isn't by much and the hand is too curled to get a full scale of it, but the finger width ratios and the ratio of the thumb to hand and hand to wrist suggest this person has VERY small hands.

I know for a fact my Asus and Viewsonic monitors back home all include the bezel in their screen size calculation, and so does the Toshiba widescreen TV down in our living room. It's rated 55" but it's only 53 on the actual visible screen diagonal.

A quad-core Atom CPU? Is that even a thing? I though there were only single core and dual core Atoms.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

A quad-core Atom CPU? Is that even a thing? I though there were only single core and dual core Atoms.

Yeah, they actually have 8 core atoms as well.

Hail Sithis!