why do we want to see stock performance? they can look at everybody elses video for that! as long as you put the speeds that it was running at i dont see why you wouldn't

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I don't understand existence of this card. It's just pointless.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

i prefer the OC numbers  :lol: but is fine anyway 

Since I overclock every single card I get, that information would be much more relevant for me. Rather have OC numbers, but I guess that's just my preference.

its not because the 280 is eol

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Since I overclock every single card I get, that information would be much more relevant for me. Rather have OC numbers, but I guess that's just my preference.

I'd like to see stock and oc, I remember they had a beast reference 780 that almost beat every custom 780 which kinda skewed statistics, so a 'control' or 'reference' (non oc) card would be awesome too.

LINUS, why on earth would you give in to the idiots who want stock speed benchmarks that YOU CAN GET ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET. one of the best things about your video card review's was that all the benchmarks were run OVERCLOCKED so you could see which as the better choice, now im nearly clueless as to whether a 280, 280x or 285 is better value as stock speeds are near useless, CAN YOU PLEASE REVERT TO THE REAL WAY OF COMPARING GRAPHICS CARDS and release a table or video with  OC'd R9 285 results..  :D

Using stock speed was somewhat a deal breaker for me. OCing the cards to the max might also be a not so great thing to do given the review units can be cherry picked. However, showing the "everysingle kind of this thing can do this" overclock might be the best thing to do. There are sooooo many reviewers with stock speed and it resulted in showing R9 290 being faster than GTX 780, whilst your samples being OC showed that GTX 780 goes toe to toe or even more compared to R9 290 caused by the OC headroom

Any particular reason the R9 280 and R9 280x weren't thrown into the mix? 

/Go back to overclocked benchmarks :unsure: 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'd like to see stock and oc, I remember they had a beast reference 780 that almost beat every custom 780 which kinda skewed statistics, so a 'control' or 'reference' (non oc) card would be awesome too.

this would be best. if they don't oc at all they might end up with a skewed result as when the 7970 came out it was only clocked to 925mhz, but 90% of them would get to 1150mhz. that is a big difference for an average overclock 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Couple of questions, if someone is wiser.

What's freesync. Apparently this is the first card to support it. Is it like g-sync, just open?

Will it come to other older cards or can we forget it?

Will we be able to  hardmod it into monitors, or should we wait to buy monitors that have it enabled? If so, will the procedure be same as g-sync, so to say silly expensive and comes never?

also, +1 for overclocked cards, go back to it man, if you absolutely must have stock speeds add them, don't remove oc pls

I wish amd cards weren't so long, since my mid tower only fit cards that are no longer than 11 inches.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I wish amd cards weren't so long, since my mid tower only fit cards that are no longer than 11 inches.

Just cut a hole in the front of your case.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Couple of questions, if someone is wiser.

What's freesync. Apparently this is the first card to support it. Is it like g-sync, just open?

Will it come to other older cards or can we forget it?

Will we be able to  hardmod it into monitors, or should we wait to buy monitors that have it enabled? If so, will the procedure be same as g-sync, so to say silly expensive and comes never?

also, +1 for overclocked cards, go back to it man, if you absolutely must have stock speeds add them, don't remove oc pls

Freesync = codename for AMD's technology (GPU hardware + drivers) that enables Gsync-like features on DisplayPort 1.2a AdaptiveSync ready monitors.

So far, the 290, 290x, 285, 260x & 260 fully support it.

Have to wait for new monitors, there will be a price premium but we are told it'll be less than Gsync.

according to one news post, new monitors with support should come soon

good thing I asked, was just about ready to buy one 1440p monitor, glad i didn't

thx for the info, much obliged

Well it makes more sense than the 270x or 280x. Really this card is a 280 with marginally lower power consumption and more features. More than what the 270x is over the 270 which is more-or-less nothing. Yeah, fine, it probably could have been called a 370 but it does make sense if you ignore the name.

AMD's lineup makes no sense compared to NVidias

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Well it makes more sense than the 270x or 280x. Really this card is a 280 with marginally lower power consumption and more features. More than what the 270x is over the 270 which is more-or-less nothing. Yeah, fine, it probably could have been called a 370 but it does make sense if you ignore the name.

AMD's lineup makes no sense compared to NVidias

I don't think R9 280x's power consumption is a problem to anyone. Personally I think they just wasted a time creating that card, it's not better than 280x. 280x was & is just a fine, no need to buy 285.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I don't think R9 280x's power consumption is a problem to anyone. Personally I think they just wasted a time creating that card, it's not better than 280x. 280x was & is just a fine, no need to buy 285.

I don't think it's that cut and dry. I'd argue that if you were in the market for a card in that price bracket the 285 is a damn good option from the AMD side. Yeah the frame-buffer is small which hurts it at higher resolutions but unless my local retailers are off the mark it's also cheaper. Plus you get freesync and yeah, if it's a similar/lower cost for similar performance, the lower power/noise is a nice little bonus. The question should be why do the 280 and 280x still exist? Why not just have the 285 replace both and just give the option for more VRAM? If you don't like the naming convention just think of it as "280, freesync edition"

anyways, it's nowhere near as bad as the 270x. The 270x is just an overclocked 270 and that's it. The 285 at least does stuff that the 280/280x don't.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

280 won't exist, isn't even marketed anymore as 285 is the replacement for it

I've read it somewhere in the news, not sure where

Just to add my voice to the group asking to stick with overclocked reviews. We can easily find stock clock reviews elsewhere.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

aww, no let's back on the overclock for the benchmark, it was Linustechtips mark!

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

Linus, new world order lol ? :D Novus ordo seclorum. 

Oh, and before any a e i o u sound is also an, forgot about that.

Well it sounds right to me because its easier to pronounce. Its same as trying to say a apple.  or a umbrella. Weird.

I always got taught that "an" is only to be used if the letter that it follows is a vow. 

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K  | Motherboard Asus Sabertooth z97 Mark 1 | RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb 1866mhz | GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 980 w/ ACX 2.0 | Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window | Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB |  PSU Corsiar RM750 | Display(s) Some Acer Things | Cooling Corsair H100i + 5x Noctua NF-F12 industrial 120mm fans(they are freaking load) | Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95 |  Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound Audio-Technica AD900x + 02+ODAC +AT2020 | OS Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro