Heaven Society - Week 16 (Desert Punk)

Well that's the thing.. I hear that about a lot of anime, but if I have to sit through 20 episode of junk to get to the "serious part", then it's simply not worth my time.

Honestly if you want just start at episode 20 xD there's a timeskip and the synopsis should allow you to guess the plot you missed plus they summarize it nicely... 6Episodes should be worth it... >.>

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Just realized that Desert Punk has a classic early 2000's Funimation dub. :P

I didnt realize that because I watched it before it came out in the US im pretty sure, possibly on hardsub VCD?

It's got a win of a dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St29qEH7HK8

Case and point.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Just realized that Desert Punk has a classic early 2000's Funimation dub. :P

I didnt realize that because I watched it before it came out in the US im pretty sure, possibly on hardsub VCD?

ya i like the dub lol

ya i like the dub lol

If your wondering the sub actually isnt much different. They did turn thing up a notch or two for the dub though.

All anime deserves a chance! (except the entire magical girl genre)

So what is your type?

Well I enjoy all types of anime ... 

Hmmm ... I mean I dont like this 'for the sake of comedy' types

But as for the types I DO enjoy ... A dark mystery is always interesting ... 

I also like light hearted animes as long as they have an interesting underlying story ... Magi is an example of that

Didn't think I'd have to explain myself ... I wasn't ready for that  :P 

"Stay focused on the present, and the future will fall into place"

Well I enjoy all types of anime ... 

Hmmm ... I mean I dont like this 'for the sake of comedy' types

But as for the types I DO enjoy ... A dark mystery is always interesting ... 

I also like light hearted animes as long as they have an interesting underlying story ... Magi is an example of that

Didn't think I'd have to explain myself ... I wasn't ready for that  :P 

I dont always like comedy anime but sometimes im jut in the mood and laugh my ass off. I though Nyaruko was really good for that. I really dont know why but it was just the right amount of crazy. Hyate no Gotoku is a great anime for that and has a bunch of references to older anime. Its also fun to watch with people for that reason. Comedy anime is one of my favorite anime to watch as a group. I once did a 12hr GTO marathon at a con which is probably in the 10 top for things ive done at a anime con.

Personally I cant stand Magi. I forget how many eps I watched but it became oh so very predictable and after a few eps I just quit.

I dont always like comedy anime but sometimes im jut in the mood and laugh my ass off. I though Nyaruko was really good for that. I really dont know why but it was just the right amount of crazy. Hyate no Gotoku is a great anime for that and has a bunch of references to older anime. Its also fun to watch with people for that reason. Comedy anime is one of my favorite anime to watch as a group. I once did a 12hr GTO marathon at a con which is probably in the 10 top for things ive done at a anime con.

Personally I cant stand Magi. I forget how many eps I watched but it became oh so very predictable and after a few eps I just quit.

Maybe try Zankyo No Terror ... Or Tokyo Goul ... Both very recent and still on-going

I like watching them weekly because they are so dark ... If I try marathoning this type of anime I just get lost in the depth of the anime and end up depressed ;) (In that case I would resort to something like a sports anime ... Maybe Haikyuu! also a great recent)

Maybe try Zankyo No Terror ... Or Tokyo Goul ... Both very recent and still on-going

I like watching them weekly because they are so dark ... If I try marathoning this type of anime I just get lost in the depth of the anime and end up depressed ;) (In that case I would resort to something like a sports anime ... Maybe Haikyuu! also a great recent)

Maybe some older stuff that youve seen idk I don't watch stuff as it airs.

Well I can definitely recommend :

1) Code Geass (Great strategy anime)

2) A nice slice of life (the only I've enjoyed) and I highly recommend it -> Bakuman (The whole series)

3) Fate Zero (Nice action anime)

And those are in no particular order  :)

Blue Gender is also a completely different anime in a completely different genre. Its also pretty f'd up if I recall, like not Gantz level but getting there. i remember watching it quite late at night on Adult Swim back in the day.

The animation style is mostly the general pre-2007 (digital HD) but it has been simplified. i think it work for the style anime it is and its source.

Blue Gender is not f**ked up; it's just people actually dying when killed. It teaches people a lesson on environmental problems.

It's not general if one simply looks better than the other. It's in the aesthetics.

If all anime deserve a chance; you should go watch boku no pico, FREE!, and maybe some Nightshft nurses.

If you really like anime; you should be watching stuff on air.

It's what people talk about the most.

Watch anime that came out a few years ago and many people won't even know what you are talking about when making reference to it.

It's like when I talk about glorious Universal Century of Gundam.

Kids these days don't even know who Char Aznable is. When they hear something about red being faster; they think it's some bs WH40K ork idea.

Little did they know; Gundam came out in 1978(hence RX-78-2), and WH40K about 9 years after.

That is not your traditional magical girl anime and it ones done by shaft. In reality I see it as a different genre disguising it self as a magical girl anime. :P

It's not automatically good just because it's made by SHAFT.

SHAFT also did Nisekoi and adaptation (the remake) of Negima.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

well, Ive watched one episode and I cant say that I fancy it. ill give another episode a go to see if my opinion changes. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

If you really like anime; you should be watching stuff on air.

It's what people talk about the most.

agreed... @TheProfosist how many terabytes of anime do you even have on hand since you clearly don't like anime....

Anyways it was a lot harder to watch new on air episodes when we started watching anime so i don't really watch what is brand new either

Instead of club president for a day. Charger is club president, secretary, trasurer when others cant or just dont feel like it. :P

Magical Lyrical Nanoha is good! D: Them Tech mages Yo!

@TheGFXNovice Try Berserk and Basilisk. :)

agreed... @TheProfosist how many terabytes of anime do you even have on hand since you clearly don't like anime....

Anyways it was a lot harder to watch new on air episodes when we started watching anime so i don't really watch what is brand new either

I've seen plenty of dysfunctional anime club president IRL who has a ton of anime in harddrive and never watch more than 25%.

In fact, that's one of the reason why I don't go to anime club in real life anymore.

People who do not watch the new shows on air kept recommending the old stuff every day(old stuff I have already seen/finished, many times, such as Code Geass).

Except real life was worse; because the only one to run for club president basically only watched a handful of anime and spends more time watching "abridged" series than actual anime.

But Nanoha isn't a Mahou "Shoujo" anymore. I lost count but isn't she 20 or something with an adopted daughter?

Worst part is that she still didn't make a child with Fate.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

But Nanoha isn't a Mahou "Shoujo" anymore. I lost count but isn't she 20 or something with an adopted daughter?

Worst part is that she still didn't make a child with Fate.

i was thinking of the two first Seasons. and lol at the last part....but yeah it gets rather dragged out now. (reading it) It´s less Magical girl and more ...idunno S.W.A.T Mages vs Terrorists.

With that said i still love the weapon and cloth designs, so neat!

i was thinking of the two first Seasons. and lol at the last part....but yeah it gets rather dragged out now. (reading it) It´s less Magical girl and more ...idunno S.W.A.T Mages vs Terrorists.

With that said i still love the weapon and cloth designs, so neat!

Yeah Nanoha is one of those Mahou Shoujo anime that can be watched without feeling "I rather watch Sailor Moon instead."

By Sailor Moon; I mean Sailor Moon, not Sailor Men, if you know what I mean.

doublepost

@TheGFXNovice Try Berserk and Basilisk. :)

Berserk is GREAT ... But I haven't watched Basilisk ... Maybe I'll try it out when I get some time  :D

Berserk is GREAT ... But I haven't watched Basilisk ... Maybe I'll try it out when I get some time  :D

Berserk is GREAT(to read).

Claymore is GREAT(to read).

Basilisk...not so much.

yes its a comedy anime but also ohas some interesting action sequences.

every anime has a feel station that the feels train stop

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Alright, so I've watched this series and it's not particularly gripping, don't get me wrong it's fine but it sort of wears thin about 4 episodes in. I watched the dub and i'm just assuming that this isn't a ghosts at school sort of dub but atleast tries to be faithful to the source material. Desert punk tries to carry its self with comedy, low brow comedy which can be great when done right but the jokes just arn't good...they try hard but most of the jokes miss in my opinion or maybe they just wear out after a few episodes...the comedy is low brow but played safe which is this middle ground that doesn't allow for surprise; I feel that that the comedy "haha" moment is similar to that of the surprised "Ahah" epiphany moment where one realizes the misdirection, take for example non jokes where one builds up the expectation of a joke and replaces the punchline with truth or logic and not a punch line eg."Why does Micheal J fox make the best milkshakes" you let them try to imagine punch line and when revealed that the punch line is "Because he uses the finest ingredients." it defies expectation and if you play all of your jokes safe they start to become expected and lose their edge.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Link to This Weeks Discussion Thread should probably be updated. lets face it, the search functionality of the forum kinda sucks.

where is said link?

where is said link?

first page of heavens society second post.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?