Norton Internet Security found virus this morning in Malwarebytes folder

techenthused73

Hi,

I guess I'm just paranoid but wanted opinions.  This morning on a routine scan NIS found an infected file in Malwarebytes folder and quarentined it.  Norton needed to reboot Windows to remove the infected file.  On reboot Windows hung on an Engine file.  I shutdown and rebooted and was back into Windows.  Everything looked fine and ran full system scans with Notorn, Malwarebytes, Junk Removal Tool, Tdskiller, rkill, and Hitman pro.  Nothing else was found and not having any trouble with browsers or other programs. 

Is there anything else I should check or can I assume everything is fine? The infected file had virus W32.Licum .  Norton shows resolved.  Location of file was C:Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes anti malware\0000.6475tmp

Or would this be a false positive.  I'm pretty sure Malwarebytes updates on the hour and Norton may have incorrectly flagged it.

Thanks

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

Hi,

I guess I'm just paranoid but wanted opinions.  This morning on a routine scan NIS found an infected file in Malwarebytes folder and quarentined it.  Norton needed to reboot Windows to remove the infected file.  On reboot Windows hung on an Engine file.  I shutdown and rebooted and was back into Windows.  Everything looked fine and ran full system scans with Notorn, Malwarebytes, Junk Removal Tool, Tdskiller, rkill, and Hitman pro.  Nothing else was found and not having any trouble with browsers or other programs. 

Is there anything else I should check or can I assume everything is fine? The infected file had virus W32.Licum .  Norton shows resolved.  Location of file was C:Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes anti malware\0000.6475tmp

Or would this be a false positive.  I'm pretty sure Malwarebytes updates on the hour and Norton may have incorrectly flagged it.

Thanks

Can I personaly ask why you are using Norton?

I mean its a resource hog and sometimes inffective.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I have used Norton for a long time now.  I may switch to Kapersky but have already paid for a subscription with Norton.  I have never seen it as a resource hog.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

DO not use Norton. It gives a shit ton of false reading to scare you into using it. Malwarebytes is enough, you do not need additional antivirus software. Malwarebytes is much better and more reliable than norton.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have used Norton for a long time now.  I may switch to Kapersky but have already paid for a subscription with Norton.  I have never seen it as a resource hog.

Norton is hands down the worst antivirus program. Don't ever use norton.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

i have had it before where an AntiVirus has detected the definitions files as a virus.

when in fact it's just a file telling you scanner what to look for.

Might be the same thing happening here ???

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

I agree with Enderman here, Synaptics have been caught creating viruses to get more busness trying to prove that their softwear is actualy worth owning. My mother has 2 computers with Norton and Malewarebytes found more stuff then Norton ever did.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

i have had it before where an AntiVirus has detected the definitions files as a virus.

when in fact it's just a file telling you scanner what to look for.

Might be the same thing happening here ???

It may be possible.  I know this would be up for debate but I am quite careful in using the web.  The only new programs downloaded yesterday for a DVD project were IRFanview (dowloaded from a link on the official page) and an "AVERY Labels Design and Print" program to design and print the the sticker for the DVD disc.  Interestingly enough Malwarebytes Anti Exploit showed an exploit with Java when trying to print the label with AVERY Lable progrram.  Had to briefly stop Anti Exploit in order to print the label.  I would think i'd have to trust Avery.  

I had been by the ASUS ROG webpage to read about all the issues that are going on with the ROG Swift.  Apparently the G-Sync is not perfected yet with the existing Nvidia drivers.  Also some issues with the display of the monitor itself (backlight bleed and bad colors).

Norton is, in my eyes, just as bad as McAfee. Same as everyone above me has said, even if you've paid for it, just move on... it'll benefit you to not use it, literally. Malwarebytes should be sufficient, but if you insist on having antivirus in addition to antimalware, go with Avast.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Norton has caused many problems on my grandparent's computer. Has even stopped their internet access once. DO NOT USE IT. If you insist on paying for software, AVG is great, but for the time being, use AVG Free or Malware Anti-Bytes.

• 2 months later...

Last night I went to the Avery site because the DVD Stomper kit I had only had the software to support Windows XP, not Windows 7+.

So, I downloaded the newer version of the Avery Design software, and my Malware Bytes also went off, and it showed an exploit of PUP software that would have been pushed to my machine and installed.  Not sure if this was an ad, or part of the actual Avery site itself.  I will try and contact Avery today.

Dave

One thing to note when using Malwarebytes. If you allow Malwarebytes to quarantine the files it finds, be sure to go into the History tab, open the quarantine folder and "Delete All". This will actually delete the offending files. Sometimes quarantined files can be picked up by more than one malware scanning programs. 

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Step 1: uninstall Norton

Step 2: install Malwarebytes

Step 3: ...............

Step 4: PROFIT!

/s

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Delete Norton :)

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

Hi,

Thanks

UNINSTALL NORTAN!!!!!!! Its the worst Anti Virus out ther... Their company has gone bust and has been sued and such for damages, The CEO even stated that their software cant fin 47% of viruses out there.... Use something like Avast, iOBit, AVG, Windows Defender.. Or anything other then Nortal :) 

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

Great, more of those people who have no idea what they are talking about. Norton is not a ressource hog, it uses less than AVG and Avast since 2009. Even according to many independant AV tests it's ranked relatively high for detection rates.

But hey, those tests are obviously sponsored by Symantec, right? How nice it must be to always look the other way and refuse to accept something can change...

It'd be about time you people actually USE the damn thing instead of saying it's bad based on outdated third hand knowledge.

Oh your grand parents had Norton and nothing worked anymore? Of course, totally the fault of Norton, couldn't possibly be PEBKAC. :rolleyes:

No Anti Virus will protect someone who deliberately seek and install viruses, tech illiterate and old people are a prime examples of that, clicking on everything they see without a care in the world.

A lot of false positive? What are you doing to get those? I only see those with CRACKED exes of softwares/games. In my years of using Norton, no legitimate softwares I've used were ever flagged.

All of you recommend using Malwarebytes exclusively, yet it's meant to be used in conjunction with an actual anti virus. Malwarebytes is NOT an anti virus. Of course it will find more stuff, malwares and spyware are different from viruses and easier to get whenever you install a software and it ask to install a toolbar or some other software, Malwarebytes will catch that, an Anti virus will not. Even their website pretty much says it catch that which your Anti Virus doesn't, because it's NOT the same type of software!

----

As for the question of the OP, likely a false positive. Leave it deleted anyway, it's a .tmp file, no harm in deleting those.

I've used Norton Internet Security for years, always getting the latest versions, never had a single problem related to Norton. Not saying it's the best thing out there, but it's certainly not worst than Hitler, like what others here would want you to believe.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Great, more of those people who have no idea what they are talking about. Norton is not a ressource hog, it uses less than AVG and Avast since 2009. Even according to many independant AV tests it's ranked relatively high for detection rates.

But hey, those tests are obviously sponsored by Symantec, right? How nice it must be to always look the other way and refuse to accept something can change...

It'd be about time you people actually USE the damn thing instead of saying it's bad based on outdated third hand knowledge.

Oh your grand parents had Norton and nothing worked anymore? Of course, totally the fault of Norton, couldn't possibly be PEBKAC. :rolleyes:

No Anti Virus will protect someone who deliberately seek and install viruses, tech illiterate and old people are a prime examples of that, clicking on everything they see without a care in the world.

A lot of false positive? What are you doing to get those? I only see those with CRACKED exes of softwares/games. In my years of using Norton, no legitimate softwares I've used were ever flagged.

All of you recommend using Malwarebytes exclusively, yet it's meant to be used in conjunction with an actual anti virus. Malwarebytes is NOT an anti virus. Of course it will find more stuff, malwares and spyware are different from viruses and easier to get whenever you install a software and it ask to install a toolbar or some other software, Malwarebytes will catch that, an Anti virus will not. Even their website pretty much says it catch that which your Anti Virus doesn't, because it's NOT the same type of software!

----

As for the question of the OP, likely a false positive. Leave it deleted anyway, it's a .tmp file, no harm in deleting those.

I've used Norton Internet Security for years, always getting the latest versions, never had a single problem related to Norton. Not saying it's the best thing out there, but it's certainly not worst than Hitler, like what others here would want you to believe.

I still have a system running Nortan 360, and its a HP desktop with a Phenom 511ii. Its never had any games on it or cracked/torrented softwear and its had more issues with Norton then it did running just Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. But of course this was my and still is my personal experience with it. I've had it say that a OEM Recovery disk from HP was full of Malware and it never was, as it saw the entire disk as false positives. 

|King Of The Lost|

One thing to note when using Malwarebytes. If you allow Malwarebytes to quarantine the files it finds, be sure to go into the History tab, open the quarantine folder and "Delete All". This will actually delete the offending files. Sometimes quarantined files can be picked up by more than one malware scanning programs. 

This.

Also, Norton is crap.

I use Avast free and it's hands-down the clear winner. Only positive of using Norton is that when you have problems with it (and you will), you can ring 'em up on Twitter and they'll respond really fast. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I've had it say that a OEM Recovery disk from HP was full of Malware and it never was, as it saw the entire disk as false positives. 

Of course it's full of malware. It's HP. They load their OS with so much bloatware, it's no wonder it gets flagged as viruses.

Ok, I work at a computer store, they recommend Microsoft security essentials or baidu antivirus.

They hate : Norton, Mcafee and AVG.

Except that Security Essential is worst than anything out there right now... It was good like 2 years ago, now it hardly even catches anything.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/internet-security/53457/microsoft-security-essentials-review

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/386185/microsoft-security-essentials-misses-39-of-malware-in-dennis-test

Even AV-Comparative stopped putting Microsoft on the graph and just use it as a baseline for what is essentially failure.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/

(No, Norton is not being tested by them, this is what they said about it)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

snip

I used Norton for about 6 months a year ago or so. It was easy to use, the tech support was great and during the time I was completely tech illiterate it did me well.

I then decided to download Malwarebytes when I noticed my computer was running slow.

it found something like 70 true viruses/malware-stuffs. I stopped using Norton and switched back and forth between AVG free and Avast free. When using either, Malwarebytes never ended up finding anything on my computer. I use Avast and have been virus free for several months. I still browse exactly the same sights and download all of the same stuff.

If you still feel like using Norton is for you and you want a paid antivirus, I recommend Kaspersky. I had that on my old iMac running Windows 7 thru Bootcamp and it worked like a charm. Would recommend it to anybody.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

DO not use Norton. It gives a shit ton of false reading to scare you into using it. Malwarebytes is enough, you do not need additional antivirus software. Malwarebytes is much better and more reliable than norton.

while norton is shite, you should not use malwarebytes as a live scanner.

Malwarebytes should be a once a week thing, and you should use MSE for your live protection.

Malwarebytes is an antimalware tool, while MSE is an antivirus tool.

There is a difference, and you should not run an antimalware tool in replace of an antivirus.

Norton is second worst, if not THE worst. Basically, any antivirus you have to pay for sucks balls.

When it becomes a service that you pay for, legally, the maker of the virus can, and will sue Norton, Mcaffee, kaspersky, etc, and force them to add their program to the exceptions list. 

It is a billion dollar industry, and it is the reason any other antivirus aside from MSE does next to nothing.

What norton found was a quarantine from malwarebytes. you are fine. 

But when your norton subscription runs out, i advise you use MSE

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Of course it's full of malware. It's HP. They load their OS with so much bloatware, it's no wonder it gets flagged as viruses.

Bloatware would be seen as PUP's not Malware, I wouldn't trust norton with a 10 foot pole anymore, but thats my own personal prefference, as on my personal gaming system that you see in my signature has never had anything besides whats built into windows and Malwarebytes on it and has been fine for a long ass time, same with the system before it only ran what came with windows and Malwarebytes for 5 years on it.

|King Of The Lost|

I then decided to download Malwarebytes when I noticed my computer was running slow.

it found something like 70 true viruses/malware-stuffs. I stopped using Norton and switched back and forth between AVG free and Avast free. When using either, Malwarebytes never ended up finding anything on my computer. I use Avast and have been

Fair enough. I guess it depends on what you are doing on the computer. Personally, I'm sitting in front of my screen for at least 6 hours a day, browsing the web and all that, never had a single virus because I'm careful on what I click (also helps that I don't use failbook with all the clickbaiting on there...).

So just for testing, I installed malwarebytes, just to see if Norton was really protecting me. (This is on my personal PC, the only one I got, haven't formatted in over a year.)

http://i61.tinypic.com/bj5thd.jpg

Looks like Norton was doing it's job.

I also routinely(once every season or so) do offline scans of my PC with Kaspersky (meaning outside of windows) and that also never catches anything because there's nothing to get, Norton does it's job.

Linus also said so in the past, but any anti virus is good, as long as you are careful on the web. Even if you think you are careful, if you install the viruses yourself, knowingly or not, no anti virus will protect you. Honestly, the main reasons I use norton, is because it's easy to use, I know how to use it properly and the Firewall is great as I use it often to block certain softwares from accessing the web. Could I use something else? Sure of course. Would I? Not really. Why change that which work perfectly fine and hardly even takes any resources?

snip

All said and done, I just hate Norton and pretty much all of Symantec. Don't like McAfee either (does anybody?) and just hate the antiviruses that come on prebuilts from companies. As Linus himself said, when the trial of Norton runs out on granny's laptop and it tells her that HER COMPUTER IS AT RISK AND CAN GET THE HORRIBLE VIRUS HACKER DISEASE she will most likely buy it again....

All said and done, I just hate Norton and pretty much all of Symantec. Don't like McAfee either (does anybody?) and just hate the antiviruses that come on prebuilts from companies. As Linus himself said, when the trial of Norton runs out on granny's laptop and it tells her that HER COMPUTER IS AT RISK AND CAN GET THE HORRIBLE VIRUS HACKER DISEASE she will most likely buy it again....

If that's you sole reason for hating it... then you must hate every other anti viruses out there... Even AVG and Avast free will annoy you every once in a while about getting their paid version and then it will annoy you once more to re-register after a year, because lord knows why they don't just give a lifetime free license for a free product instead of a year by year license.