Pirate gets Caught

Arty

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/man-who-pirated-fast-furious-movie-gets-almost-3-95732715549.html

Guy who edited/filmed F&F  get aressted for uplloading to internet. Then months later confessing on Facebook...

This ass almost got away with it.....2bad he is dum as s\hit.

A computer programmer who filmed Fast & Furious 6 from the back of a cinema and then uploaded it to the Internet has been jailed for almost three years.The pirated copy of the film was downloaded 779,000 times, costing one of Hollywood’s biggest filmmakers more than $4 million.Philip Danks, 25, from Walsall, West Midlands, was the first person in the world to record and distribute the movie illegally after filming it on its release day on May 17 last year.A court heard that a special “webwatch” team — set up by L.A.-based Universal Pictures because the film was so valuable — spotted his copy spreading across the Internet.

He was caught when fraud investigators noticed that his online tag “Thecod3r” attached on the video was identical to his profile on dating website Plenty of Fish.He was arrested at his home on May 23.Two days later, he bragged on Facebook: “Seven billion people and I was the first. F*** you Universal Pictures.”On Thursday, he pleaded guilty to three charges of distributing pirate copies of films and was jailed for 33 months.The court heard that he made just £1,000 (about $1,650) from selling copies of the film for £1.50 ($2.50) — while the cost to Universal was estimated at £2.3m ($4.1 million).Sentencing Recorder Keith Raynor said: “This was bold, arrogant and cocksure offending. Your approach to the film industry was made clear in the posting you made on Facebook two days after your arrest. I accept the personal profit was modest, but the real seriousness of this case is the loss caused to the film industry as a whole.”

Prosecuting on behalf of the Federation Against Copyright Theft, Ari Alibhai said: “The film was Universal Picture’s most significant release of that year, with both the biggest production costs and expected revenue. The estimated loss to the industry caused by the defendant’s actions is conservatively estimated at £2.3m, but he did not receive money from the online distribution.”

The court heard that although he made money from selling versions of his copy via Facebook or by personal delivery his real motive was “street cred.”

Alibhai added: “The first person with a pirated version attracts much kudos. He wanted recognition from the community.”

Christopher Loach, defending, said: “He has no real qualifications and is not a man of means. He has no substantial assets of any sort, and his financial gain has been extremely limited but he was obviously aware that it was a popular film that would be of interest.”

Following his arrest, Danks was freed on police bail pending further inquirIes but continued to offer a dozen films he had copied.

Danks kept people posted on the case through Facebook — but while awaiting sentence he conceded: “Not loking (sic) good.”

Though it was a real pirate from reading the title. 

hehehe

The pirated copy of the film was downloaded 779,000 times, costing one of Hollywood’s biggest filmmakers more than $4 million.

imAlsPP.jpg?1

it's more or less irrelevant, but I wish I knew where they pull these numbers from.

Error: 410

"The pirated copy of the film was downloaded 779,000 times, costing one of Hollywood’s biggest filmmakers more than $4 million."

It really annoys me when companies claim things like this. While i do not condone piracy, a pirated copy does not equal a lost sale.

Edit: Damn it, ninja'd @helping

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

"The pirated copy of the film was downloaded 779,000 times, costing one of Hollywood’s biggest filmmakers more than $4 million."

It really annoys me when companies claim things like this. While i do not condone piracy, a pirated copy does not equal a lost sale.

TBH i doubt they lost 4 million, ik i had download the movie to if if a liked, i did, then i went and bought the blu ray pack and watched it agian! lol

i always watch these type of movies all the time if theyre not on netflix but not CAM quality lol... nobody likes those 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Sheesh, 3 years? For uploading a low quality recording of a low quality movie?

how you know it was low quality?

Sheesh, 3 years? For uploading a low quality recording of a low quality movie?

Not just for uploading it, for recording it and trying to sell it too.

In short the guy was an idiot.

"who filmed from he back of a cinema"

He used a camcorder. How would it not be low quality?

Not just for uploading it, for recording it and trying to sell it too.

In short the guy was an idiot.

He tried to sell it too? Oh ok then

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

"who filmed from he back of a cinema"

He used a camcorder. How would it not be low quality?

4k red? lol

The thing that got him busted was selling the films.

Still I wouldn't use anything other than Yify torrents.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

He tried to sell it too? Oh ok then

Yepp, on his real name Facebook account. He was advertising them for sale.

Not the brightest chap in the world.

They claim that the film is "so valuable" yet every movie in the fucking series has been shit.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Bragging on facebook lol he deserved it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Whoa that guy bragged on facebook about it..

Not the smartest tool in the box.

They claim that the film is "so valuable" yet every movie in the fucking series has been shit.

It was downloaded 779,000+ times. The pirates most certainly saw value in it.

They went and arrested the dumbest motherfucker on the scene, i'm not impressed. Thecod3r ? where the hell is that name from ? who is this guy

YIFY/HorribleSubs ftw

imAlsPP.jpg?1

it's more or less irrelevant, but I wish I knew where they pull these numbers from.

Whilst we all agree/know it's not 1:1,  the $4M could easily be made up from some lost sales, the sales he had made from copies, the cost of taking him to court and gathering the evidence, plus $3M for good measure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That's just BS IMO if they wouldn't charge $10+ just to see the movie people would stop doing it & Hollywood wonder why there's Pirates in the world!

IMO it's to high of price just to live in this world!