Blizzard forces 200MB of bloatware to start-up games.

LOST TALE

Is this about the Battle.net thingy that launches Diablo 3, WoW, SC 2 and HS? Or is it something new? Cause that one has been available for a very long time and it's weird for you to be complaining now :P Also, that thing is just awesome.

Oh no 200mb

I can only install it 15000 times on my 3tb hard drive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Again, either code it to use 50MB or get over like like the OP needs to get over it. You always talk this huge game about how things should be, yet you have no actual proof to back it up. You say 200MB, I say you don't have a clue what you are talking about. Based on other programs that do the same thing, 200MB is a much smaller install size. And, yes, again, if you can't handle a 200MB install size, do the world a favor and get off the internet. You're one of the people that cries about how much RAM Chrome uses too, yet it has a cap of a whopping 20MB.

When stuff like Pidgin can allow you to chat with people on their desktops, in multiple different games, and a mobile client all at the same time, then you can use it as an example. But it also needs a fully functional store for all of those games and a complex news feature. Click the "news" tab in the Battle.net launcher. Its a lot more complex than an RSS feed.

No I don't have to code it to say that 200MB is far too much. Just like I can point out plot holes in a movie without having to write, produce and star in a better movie, I can point out flaws in programs without writing them better myself.

What do you mean I don't have any proof? I just told you how much each individual program which offers more functionality are.

Chrome does not have a 20MB RAM usage cap by the way. It uses far more than that just displaying the memory page.

It's 2014. It's time that you "well back in my day" people move on and let it go.

Also, what the hell does Blizzard have to do with EA?

OP of this thread is why I can't stand the majority of gamers. Most act like complete entitled little poo stains that demand everything be exactly the way they want it because its all about them and they'll whine and complain that life is so unfair because companies aren't bowing down to their every wish and desire.

It's a mere 200 MB. In 2014 that's nothing. A combined launcher makes way more sense. It's easier for Blizzard to manage from a development perpective and its easier for gamers to manage their games. Also when you log into the Battle.net desktop app (which you only have to do once) it automatically logs you into Battle.net within the game, so you don't actually have to login after launching the game like you did before, so its more convenient as well.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Here's an idea, just put everything on fucking steam. Let them handle everything, that way you don't have to do a piss poor job at keeping servers up and the like!

Edit: I forgot, if they did that, then older games would still be available online, and EA wouldn't be able to shut everything down and make you buy the new game. Which they do with almost every single sports game they make.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

200mb? dear lord we're all going to die. Oh wait, we live in a time where a 3tb hdd is only like 120 bucks? right.......I think we're fine.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I actually like the launcher and  it uses 0% constantly and only spikes during updates. Dunno why you think its bloatware.

Makes a little more sense. I could let it go if it was 16 but 32 even right now in 2014 it's still stupid unless you have a server or a professional grade workstation.

My records show that I bought my new X79 upgrade (mobo, ram, cpu, other items) on January 2, 2013.

I bought the RAM located at the following URL:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=65663&vpn=F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1033

But, I got it on a Boxing Week sale from NCIX.com for $149.99, which is significantly less than it is today.  At this time, I decided to go with this 32 GB kit because it was very cheap relative to all the other kits.  I used the extra space for loading games.  For example, I would dedicate 12 GB to my system and leave 20 GB for a RAM drive.  I could load the entirety of BF3 game data into the 20 GB of space for incredibly fast load times.  The only penalty was to copy the data into the RAM drive before I started the game I was going to play.  However, this proved to be mere seconds with my 4x SSD RAID0 array.

Being able to create a RAM drive to contain the data of the game I am going to play is something that is useful.  When not gaming, I am able to run many virtual machines.  I am a game developer, and I dedicate some virtual machines to simulate Linux servers.  For example, I like to test the server development where the database is an entirely different machine.  This is for development purposes only, not for speed optimization.  This ensures that when I create server back-ends, I don't presume that the database is located at the localhost IP address which can lead to issues if you deploy in an environment where your server software is not the same as your database software.

I am also able to virtualize a Mac machine for the purposes of a "build box" whereby it just makes builds all day.  If I fail to commit source files and data properly, the build box will raise an error and email me.  This is obviously for iOS builds of both games and apps.  But it doesn't just end there.  I am able to make PC Windows and Android builds of my projects using yet another Windows virtual machine that has scheduled tasks.

By now, I think that I've shown that this is a workstation machine, so I can officially consider it not "stupid" by your definitions and standards.  And on the side, it's great for gaming via RAM drives! :D

Here's an idea, just put everything on fucking steam. Let them handle everything, that way you don't have to do a piss poor job at keeping servers up and the like!

Edit: I forgot, if they did that, then older games would still be available online, and EA wouldn't be able to shut everything down and make you buy the new game. Which they do with almost every single sports game they make.

Truer than you intended it to be: there's documented cases of broken games on steam as well as early access titles that will obviously never be completed

-------

Current Rig

-------

My records show that I bought my new X79 upgrade (mobo, ram, cpu, other items) on January 2, 2013.

I bought the RAM located at the following URL:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=65663&vpn=F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL&manufacture=G.Skill&promoid=1033

But, I got it on a Boxing Week sale from NCIX.com for $149.99, which is significantly less than it is today. At this time, I decided to go with this 32 GB kit because it was very cheap relative to all the other kits. I used the extra space for loading games. For example, I would dedicate 12 GB to my system and leave 20 GB for a RAM drive. I could load the entirety of BF3 game data into the 20 GB of space for incredibly fast load times. The only penalty was to copy the data into the RAM drive before I started the game I was going to play. However, this proved to be mere seconds with my 4x SSD RAID0 array.

Being able to create a RAM drive to contain the data of the game I am going to play is something that is useful. When not gaming, I am able to run many virtual machines. I am a game developer, and I dedicate some virtual machines to simulate Linux servers. For example, I like to test the server development where the database is an entirely different machine. This is for development purposes only, not for speed optimization. This ensures that when I create server back-ends, I don't presume that the database is located at the localhost IP address which can lead to issues if you deploy in an environment where your server software is not the same as your database software.

I am also able to virtualize a Mac machine for the purposes of a "build box" whereby it just makes builds all day. If I fail to commit source files and data properly, the build box will raise an error and email me. This is obviously for iOS builds of both games and apps. But it doesn't just end there. I am able to make PC Windows and Android builds of my projects using yet another Windows virtual machine that has scheduled tasks.

By now, I think that I've shown that this is a workstation machine, so I can officially consider it not "stupid" by your definitions and standards. And on the side, it's great for gaming via RAM drives! :D

I know about ram drives so if you got the sticks on the cheap more power to you :I stand corrected

-------

Current Rig

-------

Truer than you intended it to be: there's documented cases of broken games on steam as well as early access titles that will obviously never be completed

That is true, which is why I don't buy early access to games anymore. I bought the DayZ standalone after Rocket claimed "We've made so many changes it's basically a whole new engine", turns out, it's crap. I've been playing the DayZ mod on an Overpoch server, and it's better than anything the actual DayZ team has made to date.

I'm not saying Steam is perfect, nothing is, but you have to admit, they're still better than everything else out there to date. At least that I know of.

That is true, which is why I don't buy early access to games anymore. I bought the DayZ standalone after Rocket claimed "We've made so many changes it's basically a whole new engine", turns out, it's crap. I've been playing the DayZ mod on an Overpoch server, and it's better than anything the actual DayZ team has made to date.

I'm not saying Steam is perfect, nothing is, but you have to admit, they're still better than everything else out there to date. At least that I know of.

I think GOG is better than Steam.

No bullshit DRM and no stupid launchers that just wastes time and resources.

I think GOG is better than Steam.

No bullshit DRM and no stupid launchers that just wastes time and resources.

Never heard of it. I do have a small library mind you, only about 20 games. I only play what most people would call triple A titles. Mostly FPS's, although there aren't many of those that I like these days.

Aye, but it is important that we keep crap games and scams off steam, yet valve gives 0 fucks about it.

I'm just saying that while still the best platform, that's how you get competitors by dropping the ball

-------

Current Rig

-------

Never heard of it. I do have a small library mind you, only about 20 games. I only play what most people would call triple A titles. Mostly FPS's, although there aren't many of those that I like these days.

Gog it's mostly classic games and indies but do give em a chance with Witcher 3 though

-------

Current Rig

-------

Aye, but it is important that we keep crap games and scams off steam, yet valve gives 0 fucks about it.

I'm just saying that while still the best platform, that's how you get competitors by dropping the ball

Very true, that's why we vote with our wallets as the republicans would put it. Just like with Ubi, I won't buy another game from them, regardless of how good it may or may not be, until the admit what they did and apologize.

I have to say though, I do like what Steam does, the early access thing does make it easier for people to get into game design and development, but as a new feature it is of course going to have some hiccups along the way.

Apparently it doesnt port over the friend list from starcraft 2.

It lost its only benefit.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

I never said that, you should get schooled. ok, last reply to noobs

:rolleyes:

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

As a probable consequence of the console fiascos (not just the 8th gen), people seem to take optimization for granted.

Another thread of people complaining about petty matters.... where are the actual news these days?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Giving people more options is always better.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Giving people more options is always better.

I agree.

The options should be to launch the game without the need for a launcher, or using a launcher if you want to.

I agree.

The options should be to launch the game without the need for a launcher, or using a launcher if you want to.

If you go to the game folder you can run the game without the launcher being active by creating a desktop shortcut to the game executable (WoW-64/WoW.exe, DiabloIII.exe, Hearthstone.exe etc). You will need to log in with an authenticator code every time you start the game though. you will also need to change the config.wtf and realmlist files every time you want to change region (instead of just changing a drop-down menu).

But if you think that is faster and more convenient than waiting a couple of seconds for the launcher to start then more power to you.

I've been using this "new" launcher since its closed beta a couple of years ago; I think it is brilliant and totally worthwhile installing.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

200mb is a ton of space.......

if you run a 486....

Old shit no one cares about but me.

If you go to the game folder you can run the game without the launcher being active by creating a desktop shortcut to the game executable (WoW-64/WoW.exe, DiabloIII.exe, Hearthstone.exe etc). You will need to log in with an authenticator code every time you start the game though. you will also need to change the config.wtf and realmlist files every time you want to change region (instead of just changing a drop-down menu).

But if you think that is faster and more convenient than waiting a couple of seconds for the launcher to start then more power to you.

I've been using this "new" launcher since its closed beta a couple of years ago; I think it is brilliant and totally worthwhile installing.

Well I don't use an authenticator so I guess I am good. I am not sure about you but I didn't really change the region either. So yes, I do think it's more convenient to have my game start faster without any drawbacks. I would totally skip starting Steam to launch games if I could.

There isn't any reason why the Blizzard game should handle authentication differently depending on if you use the launcher or not. That's just something blizzard has messed up.

200mb is a ton of space.......

if you run a 486....

From now on I will start making all the images I uploaded 4 times as big as they need to be, because apparently it's not a big deal wasting resources.

Damn, there is a 2MB size limit.

post-216-0-76978900-1409085704.png

Maybe I should just post multiple images instead. Break it up into smaller pieces, each piece being 2MB.

No but seriously, bloat is bad and you should not defend it. If Blizzard were to optimize their code better and maybe remove some of the effects and sounds I wouldn't be surprised if they could bring the launcher down to less than 50MB. It's very, very bloated. They aren't doing their job properly.